switching users from lockscreen - not possible?!

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Smiff2
Level 3
Level 3

switching users from lockscreen - not possible?!

Post by Smiff2 »

ok, just installed Mint13 Cinnamon after checking it runs ok on my PCs, it does, nice.

But a possible showstopper already! Can't see how to switch users from the lockscreen. only button is "Unlock". Clicking on username at top right does nothing.

I have a mid-sized NFS (roaming profile style) LAN where mutiple users share PCs. they need to be able to switch between accounts quickly. It can't be uncommon for different users to share a desktop PC.
In Gnome 2.x you had 4 buttons, Switch User, Unlock, Leave Message and Cancel. You can also switch from the panel, but both methods are needed depending if computer is currently in use or not (screensaver/locked).

Thinking maybe its being clever, i make another user account - but still no user switch.
Googled, some references to a adding buttons to a user's panel. this is no good if the account is locked and you can't get to it!

Am i missing something or should I try MATE instead? shame i was liking the look of Cinnamon.

Also the default Login screen is no good for us without a user picker (.faces to click on), but i expect i can change this easy enough to any GDM3 login?
Smiff2
Level 3
Level 3

Re: switching users from lockscreen - not possible?!

Post by Smiff2 »

well i'm guessing by no replies that there isn't an easy fix/workaround?
you should maybe put a big warning "computer can only be used by one person" on Cinnamon because this is something that's not expected of a desktop OS. i'm not complaining it's free i can use something else - but any plans to address this limitation in next Cinnamon release?
is it just a UI oversight or does the desktop not support concurrent shell sessions?
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

Did you try this at a console?:

Code: Select all

mdmflexiserver
You don't need to go to lockscreen to switch users, just use the item named "New login screen" from your menu (it executes that same command).
And yes, using that menu entry you'll start as many concurrent sessions as you wish.
Sorry, I only speak Spanish
Smiff2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Smiff2 »

ok thanks, so mdm can do sessions..
any way to add a button for that to the lockscreen?
or get system to automatically go to a user menu when resumed?
I can't ask everyone to use the console even if that does work :p
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

Smiff2 wrote:ok thanks, so mdm can do sessions..
any way to add a button for that to the lockscreen?
or get system to automatically go to a user menu when resumed?
I can't ask everyone to use the console even if that does work :p
I'm sorry I don't get it.
Didn't you find the "New login screen" at the menu?
Why do you need a button at the screenlock if the session (and its screen) gets locked using that menu item?
I think you only have to instruct the users to use the "New login screen" the same way they did with the screenlock.
Smiff2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Smiff2 »

i only ran Cinnamon once it's possible i missed something.
which menu are you referring to sorry, the mint menu inside the user session?

user1 works on computer
user1 walks away.
screensaver activates
user2 needs to use computer.
user2 nudges mouse,
user2 sees lockscreen of user1.

what are they meant to do?

when i tried locking, i saw only a password dialogue with an unlock button and no other buttons.

edit: if the system goes to the new login screen automatically when waking up, that's ok.. does/can i make mdm do that?
Smiff2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Smiff2 »

ok tried mdmflexiserver, clearly cinnamon is not ready for multiple users (if this is the only way to switch users).
thanks but don't worry i'll have to use MATE and check back on the progress of cinnamon in a year or so!
for some reason i had assumed 1.4 / LTS would be further advanced. it's a nice looking desktop with an elegance even Gnome2 can't match in some ways - best of luck to those involved i expect i'll be using it some day.
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

Smiff2 wrote:ok tried mdmflexiserver, clearly cinnamon is not ready for multiple users (if this is the only way to switch users).
thanks but don't worry i'll have to use MATE and check back on the progress of cinnamon in a year or so!
for some reason i had assumed 1.4 / LTS would be further advanced. it's a nice looking desktop with an elegance even Gnome2 can't match in some ways - best of luck to those involved i expect i'll be using it some day.
Sorry dude, there's no need to be rude. Everyone here is trying to be of help the best way they can. Most of us are not developers but users trying to help.

If you want the "Switch users" button back at the screenlock, just open a terminal, execute the following code and restart your machine:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/mdmflexiserver /usr/bin/gdmflexiserver
Smiff2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Smiff2 »

aha! thanks, so is this just a bug?
wasn't being rude, genuinely impressed with Cinnamon, just disappointed it could be missing something small i need to use it..

i'll try that and see how it works.. didn't like the screen i saw before because it was confusing (gave option of opening new session or resuming previous, users could go wrong here)

update: very cool, that does exactly what it should - it goes back to new user login screen, not the weird one you get running mdmflexiserver directly.
now i just need to change that login screen to one with face browser and maybe we're in business :)
thanks esteban.

has this been submitted as a bug report or should i submit? seems like an easy fix for next cinnamon update then?
zeke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zeke »

I'm pretty sure I saw in another thread that this has been submitted.
sprintcowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sprintcowboy »

esteban1uy
Is that camand just changeing the file name or createing a new one?
Will the New Login in the menu still work or does it need to be changed to gdmflexiserver?
esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

sprintcowboy wrote:esteban1uy
Is that camand just changeing the file name or createing a new one?
Will the New Login in the menu still work or does it need to be changed to gdmflexiserver?
The command only creates a simlink to mdmflexiserver named gdmflexiserver. It doesn't change anything else, so you don't have to worry about the "New Login" menu entry.
sprintcowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sprintcowboy »

OK Thanks
saisyukusanagi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saisyukusanagi »

Hi all,

All the details of this bug here: GitHub: https://github.com/linuxmint/mdm/issues/1. Please read it. Is useless to post there because i don't have a GitHub account. It seems that the problem is gnomescreensaver, but being just, i don't think that it's a gnomescreensaver fault (as clefebvre said), because gnomescreensaver can't guess if there is a new gnome fork with other name.

Debian update-alternatives could be a good global solution without harm other packages, and without make something like cinammonscreensaver.

At this time the symbolic link, is the only quick and dirty solution.
jupiter66
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jupiter66 »

Just for your information, the symlink trick is also required with maya xfce using xscreensaver. With this screensaver, the button is there but doesn't work until gdmflexiserver exists.

I would like to go a step beyond with the cairo-dock logout applet (on cinnamon or xfce). When gdmflexiserver exists (so with the symlink), this applet detects the other users defined on the machine and allows a switch to one of them. This works on xubuntu (for example). On Maya (cinnamon or xfce), I now see the option in the applet menu but it does nothing. Any idea (other than replace mdm by something else)?
Smiff2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Smiff2 »

jupiter66 wrote:Just for your information, the symlink trick is also required with maya xfce using xscreensaver. With this screensaver, the button is there but doesn't work until gdmflexiserver exists.

I would like to go a step beyond with the cairo-dock logout applet (on cinnamon or xfce). When gdmflexiserver exists (so with the symlink), this applet detects the other users defined on the machine and allows a switch to one of them. This works on xubuntu (for example). On Maya (cinnamon or xfce), I now see the option in the applet menu but it does nothing. Any idea (other than replace mdm by something else)?
thanks, i know this is a lot later but just switched to XFCE so still relevant i think (?)

Return to “Cinnamon”