Disappearing task bar

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
mikeglaz
Level 2
Level 2

Disappearing task bar

Post by mikeglaz »

I'm having problems with my taskbar disappearing after I reboot in Mint 13 using Cinnamon. Hence I can't do anything in Cinnamon. When I sign in with Gnome (no effects) everything works fine. I did install an nVidia video card driver for my GeForce 9800 GT from the nVidia website I think that might have something to do with it. Any suggestions?

thanks,
mike

KremiX
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Disappearing task bar

Post by KremiX »

I am using (mint katia x64 liquorix 3.4.0-7) with nvidia 302.17 and MOSTLY no problems. however I have them from X-swat ppa

SunWorks
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SunWorks »

I'm running Mint 13 Maya, 32-bit Cinnamon on an Thinkpad T60 and it's really fast, but Cinnamon crashes all the time. All of a sudden, everything disappears, I see the desktop Mint wallpaper with no icons or anything else for about 3 seconds... then sometimes it comes back, sometimes not. When it does not come back, the cursor does not freeze and often I can stay on the current page, but the taskbar disappears, I cannot switch windows, cannot close or modify/move windows... and must ctrl-alt-backspace to get back to a login screen.

It's not acceptable for anybody else, so not sure if I'll keep using this or what I'll do on this machine.

Tonyina
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tonyina »

Same problems here with Cinnamon. Task bar that disappears, YSOD (like the old good BSOD but in yellow color) at shutdown, the whole Cinnamon desktop disappearing, etc.

Is there a way to restore the Cinnamon desktop once it breaks? I'm not trying to guess why all those errors happen, I've spent too many hours on that already. I just want to know a way to just make it work please.

How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Same problem here with 17.3Xfce. It's a new feature, think it may have started after a recent update? The whisker menu was substituted by the old 'Applications' menu (which works OK) but a new panel menu appeared and cannot be deleted although it can be emptied.
Someone somewhere must have the answer as it was first reported in this thread four years ago! Have to CTL-ALT-BKSPCE, like previous report, to recover task bar but all eleven windows saved and reinstated by FF by 'Restore'.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

What do you expect now? This is at first the section for Cinnamon. At second this is thread is stone-aged.
Create a new thread in the proper section of the board.

How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Some mighty rude persons seem to have invaded this thread. I have absolutely no intention of duplicating a thread which perfectly describe a problem I have encountered - even if it were 25yrs old and written in DOS. But I do intend to draw attention to ignorami like 'Cosmo'.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

G'day How-old! How's it going in the UK? :)

Cosmo is right: (a). many things have changed in the past 4 years and (b). this is the Cinnamon section of the forums. ;)

A four-year-old problem likely doesn't even have the same code as what you will find today. This means that old solutions and hints may not work.

Also, Cinnamon and Xfce are completely different and don't use the same coding. Anything you experience in Xfce today, likely has no relationship to a bug in the Cinnamon of four years ago. It may appear to you like it's the same problem, but most likely it isn't.

Lastly, the forum rules ask that you not "resurrect support topics older than 6 months, outdated information can cause issues with newer releases." So please start a new topic for the good of everyone involved.

Cheers!
Fred
(And on a personal note, Cosmo is a valued contributor to the forums.)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Thank you for your polite reply, Fred. I also run Cinnamon and Mate on other machines without issue. My guess is still that the 'disappearing taskbar' might well have some commonality across desktops and aeons? In the sciences, it usual to refer back to originators of inventions, discoveries and deductions, something I've always instilled in my students. Too many missed Nobel prizes due to plagiarism, which now seems to plague the undergraduate sphere as well. Sorry about the rugby, Fred, Oz deserved to win - allegedly.

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

You definitely have a good point there and I figured that's what you were going at. But still, while you may be able to see the commonalities, other people (who will be helping you) might not. That's why the rules ask that you start a new thread. ;)
Plus, the Mint of four years ago was different than the Mint of today.

No worries about the rugby. We'll just whip you later... again. :lol:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Cinnamon”