Fresh Install - Can't Change Theme or add Applets (Solved)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
weezer4
Level 1
Level 1

Fresh Install - Can't Change Theme or add Applets (Solved)

Postby weezer4 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:30 am

Hello!

I just installed Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon (32 bit) on an HP netbook.

I also installed Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon (64 bit) on my full-size Samsung laptop.

On the Samsung, everything is working great. I can change themes, add applets, etc - It is exaclty what I had hoped it would be. The menu is beautiful and I can change the theme at will. I installed new GTK themes and really enjoyed them.

On the other hand, the netbook has been a struggle. Upon installation, the menu/menubar looks very different than my other install. It is functional, but plain. White with a green "mint" symbol for the menu. There are only three applets - wireless, battery indicator, and sound. When I click on the menu button, the menu looks like Windows XP - very simple, and no search function.

When I attempt to change the theme through Cinnamon Settings to one of the other included themes, nothing happens. In the settings, it looks like it has changed, but menu/menubar looks the same. When I attempt to add applets, the box gets checked but, again, nothing changes.

I'm loving LInux Mint, but this netbook issue is frustrating me. Please help me if you get a chance!
Last edited by weezer4 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

dalcde
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Fresh Install - Can't Change Theme or add Applets

Postby dalcde » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:53 am

The one you got on your netbook is not Cinnamon. It is the "fallback", which appears when your computer doesn't support 3D acceleration. Can you open a terminal, type the command "inxi -G", and post the results here?

weezer4
Level 1
Level 1

Postby weezer4 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:58 am

This actually makes complete sense!

I had to install the Intel Cedar View driver from here:
http://daily.siebler.eu/2012/06/ubuntu- ... 000-serie/

As you can see from that tutorial, the 3d acceleration is turned off.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is any support for Atom-(N)2000- und (D)2000-Series 3d acceleration coming from Intel, and I don't know if there will ever be 3d acceleration for that little notebook.

I don't have the netbook in front of me, so I can't get the output right now. However, if there is a chance it will help, I will get it on here in a bit.

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply. That makes great sense.

The BIG question: Without 3d acceleration, are there other options for customizing? Are there any docks I can install? I will get to work on some research, but any ideas would be appreciated!

dalcde
Level 4
Level 4

Postby dalcde » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:35 pm

Actually, the current (development) version of Cinnamon allows it to run without 3D acceleration (but you'll have to compromise speed). You can find the packages here:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-nightly/ubuntu/pool/main/c/cinnamon/cinnamon_1.4.0-UP3-20120629044006-precise_i386.deb
http://ppa.launchpad.net/gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-nightly/ubuntu/pool/main/m/muffin/muffin_1.0.4-20120628024007-precise_i386.deb

Download them and then use gdebi (alternatively, just double click it in nautilus) to install them (you probably have to install muffin first). Feel free to post here if you have any issues doing so.

P.S. You will have to choose "Cinnamon 2D" instead of "Cinnamon" when logging in (press the second button at the login page to change it)

EDIT: If you find it too slow or you simply don't like it for some reason, you should try the MATE version, or the Xfce version which is coming very soon.

weezer4
Level 1
Level 1

Postby weezer4 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:36 am

dalcde wrote:Actually, the current (development) version of Cinnamon allows it to run without 3D acceleration (but you'll have to compromise speed). You can find the packages here:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-nightly/ubuntu/pool/main/c/cinnamon/cinnamon_1.4.0-UP3-20120629044006-precise_i386.deb
http://ppa.launchpad.net/gwendal-lebihan-dev/cinnamon-nightly/ubuntu/pool/main/m/muffin/muffin_1.0.4-20120628024007-precise_i386.deb

Download them and then use gdebi (alternatively, just double click it in nautilus) to install them (you probably have to install muffin first). Feel free to post here if you have any issues doing so.

Thank you so much for your replies. It is users like you that make it possible for new users like myself to get past the intro stage to Linux.

The netbook actually belongs to my boss, and I've been trying to convert him. Initially, I installed Ubuntu 12.04, and things broke immediately. I was quite embarassed. It turns out, his hardware isn't Linux friendly. Lucky me. However, he now loves his Linux Mint netbook with Cairo Dock installed. He actually gushes over his freedom from Windows to people who visit the office. Though I didn't install the dev version per your last post, I don't think I have to since he enjoys the Cairo dock with OpenGL disabled.

I've been an on-and-off Ubuntu user for the past 5 years. For some reason, I've always gone back to Windows - usually because of a game or some other software I can't get to run in Wine.

However, I feel like my time has truly come. Linux Mint has taken care of the issues I had with Ubuntu, and I'm not such a big gamer any more. In fact, most of my gaming now comes in the form of gog.com games, which I can normally play in Wine. New games rarely offer me something old games can't!

I'm thankful to have have found Linux Mint - I think this is a distro I can stick with.

Return to “Cinnamon”