Comparing resource use of Cinnamon and Mate & compiz support

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Amanoo
Level 1
Level 1

Comparing resource use of Cinnamon and Mate & compiz support

Post by Amanoo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:32 pm

Hello. I have heard some good stuff about Linux Mint, and I decided to switch to this distro. Being one of those "bugger off my lawn"-people, I want a more traditional desktop environment experience. I am currently pondering whether I should try Cinnamon or Mate. I would like to have some newer tech underneath, which would make Cinnamon preferable, but Mint has its pros as well. Both DE's application menus look rather similar, but I prefer Mate's menu, because it has "Places" and "System" on the left part, and also because the names are given behind the icons, while Cinnamon has a "Favourite applications" menu there. Can Cinnamon's menu be tweaked to be more like Mate's?

Furthermore, I do like some settings in Compiz. While all the jelly windows and that sort of stuff are just fancy things for kids in my opinion, I like how it has other options that may help me with my productivity, such as snapping windows to a side of the display, which allows you to quickly place to windows next to each other. How is Cinnamon's support for this?

And at last, how many more of your system resources does Cinnamon use, compared to Mate? Since I often use a laptop, the amount of power it uses and the battery time I have because of that is important to me, but I am also interested in how many resources are left for other applications.
Last edited by Amanoo on Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Cinnamon menu tweak, Compiz, use of resources

Post by bimsebasse » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:42 pm

Gnome 2 fans should just use MATE. It's not Gnome Shell persuaded to act and look more like Gnome 2 (Cinnamon), it is the actual Gnome 2 forked.

But tbh I think the best option currently for traditionalists is the SolusOS Gnome Classic desktop. Not gonna run into a compatibility stumbling block sooner or later as MATE is, and in very healthy development.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

Amanoo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon menu tweak, Compiz, use of resources

Post by Amanoo » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:41 pm

Well, I am not that much of a fan that it has to be Gnome 2 based. I tried Xubuntu for a while, but in the end, it is just lacking that little extra bit. It was almost it, but it is just a bit too rough in the wrong places. I managed to put up with it for a long time, but it simply does not feel finished. Pretty much the same thing what the guy who recommended me Mint said.
Right now, I just want to see which of Mint's preferred DE's sounds better to me on paper, and try that.

EDIT:
I just found the answer to my first question: http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/46
It is a remake of the Mate menu for Cinnamon, so I guess it can be tweaked to look like Mate's after all!

This leaves me with only two more questions:
Does Cinnamon have any proper support for Compiz, or at least Compiz effects?

And, currently most important to me, how does the resource use of Cinnamon compare with that of Mate?

Return to “Cinnamon”