Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Klaue
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon + Compiz possible? [solved.. kinda]

Post by Klaue » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:43 pm

Hi There
I just installed Mint 13 with cinnamon and wanted to ask if or how I could instal compiz fusion. I don't care too much about wobbly windows and all that jazz, but there are two features which I really miss: The free zoom no matter in which application you were and the desktop cube. Is it possible to get compiz running on Mint 13 with cinnamon?
I heard I could somehow do this with MGSE, but, well, I'm not even sure if I could use that with cinnamon, so I'd need a bit of help.
My search about this was inconclusive, but I found that it seems to be working with MATE, so if that is the only way to get compiz running, is it possible to "change" to MATE without having to reinstall everything? Would there be Cinnamon extensions that would do the same as the zoom and desktop cube from compiz? (I don't really need the rest)
Last edited by Klaue on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon + Compiz possible?

Post by remoulder » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:44 am

These questions have been asked and answered many times, please search.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Klaue
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Klaue » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:07 am

I did search, as I wrote in the starting post. Yet the search diddn't turn anything up. What help is it if the question was asked before when no one bothered to answer it?

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p602214
>Does Cinnamon have any proper support for Compiz, or at least Compiz effects?
No answer

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 84#p585184
>can i use a different window manager? if so which ones? perhaps one that works with compiz?
No answer

The rest of the results are comparisons of memory usage, feature whishes from compiz and so on, so not relevant.

Let's check google then!
Oh looky look, this thread here is top search result. I guess I put that under "No answer" too!

Really the only thing I could find was http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 21#p591808 which, as only one person wrote it, might not be the final answer but prompted me to ask how to properly switch to MATE (other search results indicated that MATE and cinnamon had various conflicts as Cinnamon uses forks of the programs MATE uses and stuff) if it was true.

Sorry if that sounded a tiny bit sarcastic, but really, hearing "please search" after you did just that, for a long time to boot, is kinda unnerving.

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Post by remoulder » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:34 am

I'm not sure what you consider as no answer, but both the threads you mention have replies. A search on cinnamon + compiz would have brought up http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... t=106809&p as one of the first options. Sarcasm is only likely to get you no replies at all.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Klaue
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Klaue » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:12 pm

No answers to the quoted questions tough
And after all, sarcasm seemed to get me an answer allright ;)

I now tried to install mat, but it doubled all apps like calc and so on. so I nuked my partitions and installed mate from scratch. Compiz seems to work,, but rather buggily, dunno if that's because of my graphics card or because of mate.

cowsquad
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Re: Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon + Compiz possible?

Post by cowsquad » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:58 am

Klaue wrote:No answers to the quoted questions tough
And after all, sarcasm seemed to get me an answer allright ;)

I now tried to install mat, but it doubled all apps like calc and so on. so I nuked my partitions and installed mate from scratch. Compiz seems to work,, but rather buggily, dunno if that's because of my graphics card or because of mate.
I installed compiz yesterday and it is working fine for me :-) I haven't had any issues so far.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Cinnamon”