cinnamon memory requirement

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maximusmintimus

cinnamon memory requirement

Post by maximusmintimus »

hello
This problem may not be realated to cinnamon as i have observed it on older versions as well( my first mint was 9).
when i log in to a new session, cinnamon uses abt 50 to 60 megs of ram. as i use it however the mem goes up. when i use firefox espacially, the mem went up to abt 270. This happenes over a long time (more than 3 hrs or so for example). when i close firefox, cinnamon continues to use abt 270 megs. Finally i have to do alt f2 and r to restart. then the mem comes back down to 50 to 60. Does anyone have any idea why cinnamon continues to grow in mem. the most i have seen it consume till now was abt 330 meg. Hope someone can help me
marcus
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sagirfahmid3

Re: cinnamon memory requirement

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

maximusmintimus

i was aware of cacheing that goes on. But what i was not sure whether what i am pointing to is cacheing or not. The numbers i quoted are from the memory reading in system monitor. these are i think the memory that has been alloted to the program. It seems that the memory alloted to the program continues to grow . that was what got me consufed.
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

You're worrying over nothing. If you're too worried, you could increase the swappiness and that would use less RAM but impact your performance negatively.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swappiness
maximusmintimus

thank you for clearing that out :). one final question though. I checked mate after i posted. I dont see an increase in memory as i use it...
sagirfahmid3

Post by sagirfahmid3 »

You will...Run a tough application such as virtualbox with a lot of RAM dedicated; run some app that uses a lot of RAM (like Amarok or Clementine or Firefox), make multiple instances of the apps run.
zeke

Post by zeke »

sagirfahmid3 wrote:One sentence: http://www.linuxatemyram.com/
This doesn't really explain what's happening w/ cinnamon as I understand the material in the linked page. I run free -m and get the following:

Code: Select all

free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          3953       3263        690          0        103       1225
-/+ buffers/cache:       1934       2018
Swap:         4092         19       4073
As I understand it, the -/+ buffers/cache line accounts for caching, so the output means I really have 2018MB free, which agrees w/ the graphical system monitor. In my case I have 3 users logged on, w/ their copies of cinnamon taking 260 to 400+MB. I'm not exactly worried about it at this point, but it appears to be real memory "used".

Return to “Cinnamon”