Since update - slow login, numerous problems

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Yar Nivek

Since update - slow login, numerous problems

Post by Yar Nivek »

Since updating to the latest Cinnamon modules and mint kernels (13 cinnamon), etc through apt-get upgrade and dist-upgrade, I've had numerous problems.

First, my login time (from entering my password to getting my desktop up) is now a minute, where it had previously been seconds.
It takes another minute or two after that before my computer will even acknowledge the presence of my mouse.
It moved my window applet into the center of the panel, instead of left justifying it. My mythtv frontend stopped being able to reach the backend even though it was running. I don't know how much of this is interrelated, but I would love some help in working out why Mint went from working to my satisfaction to being awful.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Since update - slow login, numerous problems

Post by remoulder »

Yar Nivek wrote:through apt-get upgrade and dist-upgrade
Quite simply Mint does not support this method of upgrading for the reasons you are now posting about. I suggest you backup your data and do a fresh install, see http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2
Last edited by remoulder on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
Yar Nivek

Post by Yar Nivek »

Most of the time I have upgraded through the icon in the panel telling me that mint has updates ready for me. That is in fact what I did this time. I did not realize that it was fundamentally different from apt-get upgrade, which is why I explained it as I did. Nevertheless, what is the recommended procedure regarding updates?
xclusive585

Post by xclusive585 »

Yar Nivek wrote:Most of the time I have upgraded through the icon in the panel telling me that mint has updates ready for me. That is in fact what I did this time. I did not realize that it was fundamentally different from apt-get upgrade, which is why I explained it as I did. Nevertheless, what is the recommended procedure regarding updates?
and... is there a command line alternative to mintupdate?

Return to “Cinnamon”