Odd Screenshot Behavior

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Level 1
Level 1

Odd Screenshot Behavior

Post by 3.14159 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:15 pm

Hey all.

This is an odd thing for me and it doesn't seem to matter which kernel I use, which drivers (Radeon HD 6870 is my card) I use (open source default, fglrx, fglrx-updates or one directly from ATI/AMD) I use or which desktop I use (in Cinnamon on LM 14 Nadia currently, but happens in KDE, Xfce4 and MATE).

When I take a screenshot using Print Screen or Shutter or even GIMP, the screenshots NEVER capture all of the open windows on the desktop. It's random, but it either only captures the background, icons on the desktop and the panel, or it captures all of that with, for instance, windows which have already been closed. It NEVER captures the terminal window when it's open and, let's face it, I like my terminal at my beck and call at all times. =P

I am just wondering if there is any fix for this weird behavior. I've done lots of searching on Google and on these forums, but nothing has given me a good answer.

So... if anyone has advice on this, I'd truly welcome any that you have.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

If you need any additional information, let me know. But here is some basic stuff.

Code: Select all

$ inxi -S
  System: 
  Host: linux-mint
  Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
  Desktop: Gnome
  Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia

$ inxi -Gx
  Graphics:
  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Barts XT [Radeon HD 6800 Series] bus-ID: 02:00.0 
  X.Org: 1.13.0 
  driver: fglrx
  Resolution: 2048x1152@59.9hz 
  GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
  GLX Version: 4.2.11995 - CPC 
  Direct Rendering: Yes

"A great man is always willing to be little." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
System: Intel Core i7 920 / 12GB RAM / 2.1TB disk space / ATI Radeon HD 6870 -/- On Linux Mint 14 "Nadia" Cinnamon

Level 1
Level 1

Re: Odd Screenshot Behavior

Post by 3.14159 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Guess no one has an answer or has experienced this.

Holding out hope for a fix... I'd hate to leave Mint, I'm having fun... but stuff isn't working right. Minimal things aren't working, more specifically.
  • No compiz in Cinnamon.
  • No screenshot ability unless I want windows which aren't open or if I only want to capture the desktop itself.
  • Installing kernel 3.7.1 or 3.8 results in VGA drivers not working well. They slow way down.
  • Automatic screen dimming/turning off cannot seem to be disabled.
Anyway, thanks.
System: Intel Core i7 920 / 12GB RAM / 2.1TB disk space / ATI Radeon HD 6870 -/- On Linux Mint 14 "Nadia" Cinnamon

Level 1
Level 1

Post by 3.14159 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:19 pm

Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller? Ferris Bueller?

jaderiver
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jaderiver » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:09 pm

Hi 3.14159:

People are definitely out here in Mintland and seeing your post, but are probably at a loss in terms of your specific situation (until there is a reader who is not). Meanwhile, I just took several screenshots with the Take Screenshot app included w/ Maya MATE. Everythings looks perfect, including my terminal, which was on the desktop. I really like Take Screenshot's "area to grab," w/ specified delay, option.

Have you tried this app?

About automatic dimming: Add the Brightness applet to your task panel and set to a norm you prefer
and/or Go to Power Management Preferences and uncheck both "Reduce backlight brightness" and "Dim display when idle." Check and adjust time (or UNcheck!) for both AC power and Battery power.
And/or, as I have mentioned in other posts, what really works for me to disable screensavers and screen brightness changes is to add the "Inhibit applet" to my taskbar and then toggle to Automatic Sleep disabled.

Hopefully you can find satisfactory solution(s) and stay with Mint!
jaderiver :)
ASUS U56E 64-bit Mint 18.2 MATE Sonya dualboot WIN 7
Zoom #3095 dialup USB modem
; WiFi/Tether to Android Lollypop hotspot

Level 1
Level 1

Post by 3.14159 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:05 pm

jaderiver wrote:Hi 3.14159:

People are definitely out here in Mintland and seeing your post, but are probably at a loss in terms of your specific situation (until there is a reader who is not). Meanwhile, I just took several screenshots with the Take Screenshot app included w/ Maya MATE. Everythings looks perfect, including my terminal, which was on the desktop. I really like Take Screenshot's "area to grab," w/ specified delay, option.

Have you tried this app?
Yes, I had tried it. In MATE, as you said, it works fine. In Cinnamon, hehe, it did not... so much. I prefer Cinnamon over MATE at this point, unfortunately. I mean, I kicked MATE around for a couple of days, but it's just not as "nice" (bad word?) as Cinnamon for me. :)

As of now, however, I have it working. I had to do several installs and re-installs of kernel headers and ATI drivers (both open source and proprietary) in order to get it working finally, but now, using Shutter, it's working great!
jaderiver wrote:About automatic dimming: Add the Brightness applet to your task panel and set to a norm you prefer
and/or Go to Power Management Preferences and uncheck both "Reduce backlight brightness" and "Dim display when idle." Check and adjust time (or UNcheck!) for both AC power and Battery power.
And/or, as I have mentioned in other posts, what really works for me to disable screensavers and screen brightness changes is to add the "Inhibit applet" to my taskbar and then toggle to Automatic Sleep disabled.

Hopefully you can find satisfactory solution(s) and stay with Mint!
jaderiver :)
I will give your suggestions a try for disabling the automatic screen dimming and backlight reduction.

I really appreciate the time you took to respond to this. Although you say you have no real direct answers, your response has made me rethink the problem(s) and now I will try new solutions, including yours. :D

ryonyanko
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ryonyanko » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:48 pm

I too have this very issue, any response on it?

Deadtroopers
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Deadtroopers » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:04 am

Same issue, Screenshot app either gives me a glorious picture of my desktop rather than what's on screen or if in a browser takes a picture of some page/document I closed days ago or even deleted. I have seen advice about deleting/purgiing AMD drivers but I ain't going there. The reason I updated to 14 was I had to, trying to get the proprietary graphics to work in 12 destroyed my installation. When I get a chance this partition is getting downsized to 20% larger than what is on it and I am making a fresh install on a new partition. I am trying to do actual work with this OS, but I am spending 3/4's of my time getting things to work properly. Too much mission critical stuff just doesn't work straight up. Ubuntu 12.10 works just great but I want a desktop OS, not some damn touch tablet crap. So I will have pop at 14 on a fresh partition, it'll get a week; if it ain't behaving properly... well, it is bin and bye bye. Honestly, how this is top of the distro charts is a mystery to me: it is just one damn thing after another. Mint? Great idea, lousy implementation. Can't they just be honest and relabel it Vinegar? After 3 months of this I can forgive Bill ME.

Rant over. Deadtroopers out.

Level 1
Level 1

Post by 3.14159 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:00 am

Deadtroopers wrote:Same issue, Screenshot app either gives me a glorious picture of my desktop rather than what's on screen or if in a browser takes a picture of some page/document I closed days ago or even deleted. I have seen advice about deleting/purgiing AMD drivers but I ain't going there. The reason I updated to 14 was I had to, trying to get the proprietary graphics to work in 12 destroyed my installation. When I get a chance this partition is getting downsized to 20% larger than what is on it and I am making a fresh install on a new partition. I am trying to do actual work with this OS, but I am spending 3/4's of my time getting things to work properly. Too much mission critical stuff just doesn't work straight up. Ubuntu 12.10 works just great but I want a desktop OS, not some damn touch tablet crap. So I will have pop at 14 on a fresh partition, it'll get a week; if it ain't behaving properly... well, it is bin and bye bye. Honestly, how this is top of the distro charts is a mystery to me: it is just one damn thing after another. Mint? Great idea, lousy implementation. Can't they just be honest and relabel it Vinegar? After 3 months of this I can forgive Bill ME.

Rant over. Deadtroopers out.
The problem was only happening with me while using Cinnamon.

Since making that last post and trying various things to get it to work, I decided to make SURE it was just Cinnamon not purging closed windows from memory or whatever and I installed MATE, Xfce and KDE. I then tested screenshots in ALL of them using the built-in screenshot tool as well as Shutter.

Screenshots work fine in Mint 14 x86_64, using AMD proprietary drivers 13.1 as well as 13.2 BETA, so long as you don't use Cinnamon.

Currently, I'm running with MATE and recording desktop and taking screenshots is no longer an issue. Another added benefit is that I can also use Compiz now to get the effects I like.

Give MATE a go. Once I got used to it, themed it up nice and installed and got Compiz working properly, it's been pretty nice. Mint is a nice distro and I have had few real problems with it... but Cinnamon, as nice as it is, has a lot of shortcomings.

Return to “Cinnamon”