Cinnamon notifications

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tuchkata

Cinnamon notifications

Post by Tuchkata »

Hello. I'm a newbie in Cinnamon and in Linux Mint (I used Ubuntu for 4 years before it). A few weeks ago I installed Linux Mint 14 with Cinnamon. Everything is perfect but I have a question about the notifications. As a new user in cinnamon I tried almost every theme, but in the end I am using again the normal and default Cinnamong theme. It has pretty nice notifications but I noticed something that looks like a bug. When I start my computer the notifications are like in the second picture and I should restart Cinnamon a few times to get the normal notification icons (the one in the first picture). Does anyone have some ideas how to do it? Thank you in advance. :)
Screenshot from 2013-01-03 20_55_36.jpg
Screenshot from 2013-01-04 08_07_20.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Cinnamon notifications

Post by nomko »

You have to restart Cinnamon itself. Right click on the panel, select troubleshooting and restart Cinnamon. This might do the trick.
Tuchkata

Post by Tuchkata »

Sad to say it, but it does not work again :( Those notifications are from other theme, but I thought when I change it to the default one the notifications will be changed as well.
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

Hmmm, the first one is for brightness, touchpad, volume, media control indicators, and is hardcoded, so it doesn't change according to the theme. The second one is from Notify OSD of Ubuntu, and seems to conflict with Cinnamon's notifications. You should remove the package "notify-osd" using Synaptic Package Manager. After removing it, the notifications will be themed correctly according to the theme. The first one will still remain, but don't worry about it - that's by design :)
Last edited by abnvolk on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tuchkata

Post by Tuchkata »

So how can I change it so that all notifications are like in the first picture as well when I start the computer.
Edit : I like the first one and want to have it, but not the gnome one from the second picture :)
Tuchkata

Post by Tuchkata »

Uninstalling notify-osd worked! Thank you for the answers! :)
nomko

Post by nomko »

Tuchkata wrote:Uninstalling notify-osd worked! Thank you for the answers! :)
Does it had no effect on other packages? Cause when i try to remove notify-osd synaptic wants to remove and install other packages: http://www.wuala.com/nomko/Afbeeldingen ... -2013.png/
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

Yep, it wanted to remove gnome-power-manager or something like that, and when I reinstalled gnome-power-manager, notifications-daemon got installed, and had no effects on Cinnamon notifications :)
dieg0skvlm

Post by dieg0skvlm »

Hi,
I have the opposite problem as guy who created this topic.Im trying it all day today but I am disperate.I need this one notifications what are in corner of screen (i think notify_osd) and remove this notifications what shows bubbles in the middle bottom.I tried everything but im not successful.Google cant help me I cannot find anything.I have Linux Mint 14 Nadia with Cinnamon 1.6.7 with kernel 3.8.2.Thanks a lot for reactions
abnvolk

Post by abnvolk »

I'm sorry, but the one you want to remove is hardcoded, so you won't be able to uninstall it.

Return to “Cinnamon”