Nemo Slow to Load Folders [Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leetwanker

Re: Nemo Slow to Load Folders [Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon]

Post by leetwanker »

MatthewCushman wrote:
mideal wrote: "nemo-media-columns" is the "bad guy", even it isn't used in the "detailed list" view.
Just wanted to add another data point in favor of the above approach: the slowness of Nemo has plagued me as it has others - but it wasn't until mideal's heroic post quoted above that I found Nirvana:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge nemo-media-columns
Now folders are snappy, and I no longer need to plan around the 30-60 sec wait every time I open certain directories.
Huzzah!
Thanks, I forgot I had that installed and was scratching my head over the godawful slowness opening some folders.
recluce

Post by recluce »

MatthewCushman wrote:
mideal wrote: "nemo-media-columns" is the "bad guy", even it isn't used in the "detailed list" view.
Just wanted to add another data point in favor of the above approach: the slowness of Nemo has plagued me as it has others - but it wasn't until mideal's heroic post quoted above that I found Nirvana:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge nemo-media-columns
Now folders are snappy, and I no longer need to plan around the 30-60 sec wait every time I open certain directories.
Huzzah!
I'd like to chime in here, too. The above resolved the issue I had with Nemo and that drove me up the wall ever since I installed Mint 17 (now on 17.3). On a folder with about 200 large video files, for example, Nemo took 30+ seconds to open the folder and all Nemo windows became frozen during that time.

Here is what did not help: replacing totem thumbnailer with ffmpeg thumbnailer, as suggest in another thread.

I had mainly used Nautilus for the last year or so (not affected for reasons now obvious), because of this issue. I guess I can finally retire Nautilus now. :D

Thanks to everybody who found the solution for this.
dcriken

Post by dcriken »

I am having the same issue on Linux Mint 18. The solution for "sudo apt-get purge nemo-media-columns" does not work due to "Package 'nemo-media-columns' is not installed, so not removed"

Any other suggestions?

Return to “Cinnamon”