[SOLVED] Github for Suggestions?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
QuotidianMe2
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Github for Suggestions?

Postby QuotidianMe2 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:15 am

I'm interested in offering some Cinnamon suggestions, and, while I'm willing to join github to do so, must it be necessary to do so? (After all, aren't the suggestions of simple users here, on the forums, valid and heard? )

Anyway, could I get some pointers from anyone about how to make the following couple of suggestions, I mean, some seem like suggestions, but could be considered fixes too, I suppose.

> Move the "Enable Edge flippling" option from the "Window" options menu to the "Workspaces" one --- since edge flipping occurs between and to workspaces. Also, add some sliders to the edge flipping function (similar to the ones in xfce, time delay and border of action, that sort of thing).

Github screams "development" to me, whereas I feel like a simple user who simple wishes to pass on ideas that he thinks will make his favorite distro even more elegant. The whole development angle is a bit daunting. Couldn't we have suggestion threads for each of the desktops here, with something like a link for developers listed as such? Or perhaps a well written intro to using Github would gently ease the common user into posting there.
Last edited by QuotidianMe2 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Github for Suggestions?

Postby xenopeek » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:03 pm

The forums are primarily for getting and giving support, with additional sections dedicated to various chat and development topics. We've recently changed the forum rules in the Suggestions & New Ideas forum that new ideas for Cinnamon are to go on GitHub. That is the best and the quickest way to get your ideas viewed by the development team, and you can also easily search there if any similar ideas have already been posted. This way the development team can process new ideas uniformly, and all the Cinnamon developers can see your idea and see what other Cinnamon developers have already done with it (not so easily or uniformly tracked or visible on the forums). It makes their work a little easier and it gets your idea reviewed sooner, it's a win-win :wink: Yes it requires and account, but don't let that stop you. If you need assistance, you can also open XChat or Quassel from your menu to join the Linux Mint IRC channels. Then type /join #linuxmint-dev to join the developer channel, and come say hi :wink: If you have questions about GitHub, there is usually somebody friendly there.

QuotidianMe2
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Github for Suggestions?

Postby QuotidianMe2 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Okay, xenopeek. Thanks for the guidance. That's just the sort of info I was looking for. :)

Return to “Cinnamon”