[SOLVED] Cinnamon hogging system resources

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
eljaywasi
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Cinnamon hogging system resources

Post by eljaywasi »

I've been running Mint14 with Cinnamon on my laptop for a few months now and am very happy with it. I've now converted my desktop to a Mint 14 box but am having a problem I never had with my laptop: Cinnamon appears to be hogging all of my system resources and things are going very slow. Even as I type this my characters are lagging. My desktop is the more powerful machine (though still old) with a 2.2Ghz Intel Core2 Duo, 6GB RAM, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 520, while my laptop is a 2.0Ghz Intel Core2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 512mB ATI Radeon 2600 yet the laptop is nice and snappy and my desktop is lagging. See below for screenshots of System Monitor showing the resources Cinnamon is taking:
Cinnamon hogging resources on the desktop

For comparison, my similarly spec'd laptop with no problems:
Laptop - No problems with Cinnamon
Laptop - No problems with Cinnamon

Any clues what's going on or how to fix it?

PS Perhaps unrelated but I also noticed that although my desktop has 6GB only 3.2GB are shown as available, I had this problem with Win7 too and it seemed to be something with the video card (that 2GB was reserved for the vid card or something) but I could never fix it. If anyone sees a solution there let me know, otherwise I'll post about it later when typing is less frustratingly slow :)
Last edited by eljaywasi on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cinnamon hogging system resources

Post by Rehdon »

Hi there,
are you using the 32 or the 64 bit version of Linux Mint Cinnamon? Since you have 6Gb RAM the latter should help.

Rehdon

eljaywasi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eljaywasi »

I'm using 64bit, and was with Win7 too

Orbmiser
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Orbmiser »

PS Perhaps unrelated but I also noticed that although my desktop has 6GB only 3.2GB are shown as available, I had this problem with Win7 too and it seemed to be something with the video card (that 2GB was reserved for the vid card or something) but I could never fix it.
That's not something you can fix if your video card is using ram? Check the Bios?
If anyone sees a solution there let me know
I would say using an nvidia video then you might have to install the proprietary nvidia drivers if desktop is sluggish when using the default open drivers may not be optimal for your video card setup. And high CPU usage is a symptom of that.

Don't find your ram usage particularly high as my Mint 14 Cinnamon settles in at 740mb startup desktop idle.
Tho asked why and never received an answer here as many startup desktops chime in the 400-500mb rangre.

eljaywasi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eljaywasi »

I would say using an nvidia video then you might have to install the proprietary nvidia drivers if desktop is sluggish when using the default open drivers may not be optimal for your video card setup. And high CPU usage is a symptom of that.
Absolutely correct! I had played with video drivers on Arch in the past without much success so I was a bit afraid to dive into this problem. Turns out it's very easy with Mint 14: All I had to do was look for Software Sources in the menu and then go to the Additional Drivers tab. The default install was with the Nouveau open source driver so all I had to do was select the NVIDIA binary XORG proprietary driver, click apply changes and then restart. CPU usage is back to normal levels now and everything is snappy and responsive. I didn't try any of the other drivers in the list so I'm not sure if there's better performance to be had, I'm just satisfied to have something snappy and stable.

Thanks for the clue Orbmiser!

Return to “Cinnamon”