ADDING DropShadow?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sosaudio1

ADDING DropShadow?

Post by sosaudio1 »

Sooo in searching, a lot of people talk about removing dropshadow, I like the 3D effect of drop shadow. I like how a window on a mac looks like it is levitating on the desktop above other windows. It's sharp to me. That said, I know it can be done real well using compiz but I have issues with compiz. Sure I can run it, but I want to avoid it due to the toxic taxing effects it has on my comp and lets face it, everything else that compiz does is covered in Cinnamon effects so I don't need much more that just dropshadow effects. Does anyone know of a way to adjust the dropshadow in Mint/Cinnamon so that I can get the mac-ish look.

Thanks
Rich
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sosaudio1

Re: ADDING DropShadow?

Post by sosaudio1 »

anybody????
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Making Linux look like another OS (at least in appearance) is a matter of theming (icons, colors, backgrrounds, dialogs, menus)
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop- ... 7552.shtml
http://www.howtoforge.com/mac4lin_make_ ... like_a_mac

There are some available, I picked a Gnome one, which is based on Gnome 2 (mate is a Gnome 2 fork), so it may be compatible enough
--just a caution, I would save you desktop profile or even your whole /home/. dot files so you can recreate them(/home/. dot files when or if your desktop becommes muddled)
  • show hidden in the file manager View
    --or alt H
The drop shadows part is usually just a part of the default Gnome theme under the settings for the desktop(Appearance selections, there should be a whole slew of settings available: just a matter of mousing around menus unbtil you see it..)

Mint + Cinnamon, drop shadows search these forums..
http://forums.linuxmint.com/search.php? ... r+Cinnamon
sosaudio1

Post by sosaudio1 »

Awesome! Thanks man!!!! I probably won't go berzerk just yet. Most everything I would do I would go through advanced settings to add the different icons and such. On another note, do we know how to change the checkmarks in Mint? I have changed a lot but I still have the green background with the x in the box. The biggest thing I wanted to is get more drop shadow added.
Chris_zv

Post by Chris_zv »

Hey sosaudio1,

did you manage to change the drop shadow radius and saturation? I did not find the right place in dconf-editor.

Best
Chris
sosaudio1

Post by sosaudio1 »

Chris_zv wrote:Hey sosaudio1,

did you manage to change the drop shadow radius and saturation? I did not find the right place in dconf-editor.

Best
Chris
Never did...went digging into .css's of some of the themes as well and I didn't find a place to make a change, or add drop shadow, etc.

To be clear here, I want to add drop shadow to the windows similar to how mac does it. "Compiz does it"....well, yeah, I get that, but I want to steer clear of compiz if I can help it....plus...the compiz cinnamon relationship ain't too good, so lets pass that one.

Here is what I am pondering. Mint already has a degree of drop shadow added to the windows by default. I want to jump into that setting and adjust it.

I want to make it a global change and not just a theme setting that has to be modded for every theme.

Next question that will probably come out, "Do you want the menu's and pop-ups to have this same drop shadow?" Yes, but lets go a step at a time.

I also saw something about clutter but what I saw looks to be sorta still in its early stages. I saw the background menu blur and like that idea a lot but, there was supposed to be someway that cinnamon was going to impliment that according to a post I read. Cool....but where is it?

If anyone else has figured out how to make cinnamon add more shadow to mint or knows where the mint setting for the default drop shadow is, that would be cool to figure out how to adjust.
sosaudio1

Post by sosaudio1 »

Anybody???

Return to “Cinnamon”