Tips on maximising vertical space in Cinnamon please

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
graeme

Tips on maximising vertical space in Cinnamon please

Post by graeme »

Are there any ways to maximise vertical space other than auto-hiding the panel, or making it and window title bars smaller?

For example, on XFCE I use one vertical panel, and the horizontal panel is configured to be a wingpanel that overlaps the title bar.

Are there similar things I can do with Cinnamon?

Of course the underlying problem is that my laptop (like most these days) had a silly widescreen display, but that is a bit harder to fix :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
graeme

Re: Tips on maximising vertical space in Cinnamon please

Post by graeme »

To answer my own question:

1) The maximus daemon which removes the title bars from maximised windows. Its in the repos. The maximus extension does not seem to do anything. At the monent I have both installed which makes some windows (e.g. terminal invlisble). I am sure this can be fixed.
2) There are applets to place the window title and buttons in the panel.

This should effectively gives you something like Unity, but with a separate menu bar and the other advantages of the Cinnamon panel. I am no longer interested in doing it, but thought other new Cinnamon users might find it useful
tsdadam

Post by tsdadam »

Further to this, I tried maximus and had the same problem. The fix is to edit the metadata.json file included with maximus and edit the cinnamon version line to include your version of cinnamon, which up until recently for most people was 1.6.7. The edited line should look something like:

Code: Select all

"cinnamon-version": [ "1.4", "1.5", "1.5.1", "1.5.2" , "1.6.7" ]
CH1291

Post by CH1291 »

I too would love a vertical panel like the "Deskbar" panel mode in XFCE 4.10 (Mint 16), but cannot find any (straightforward) way of doing it, but there is interest in the idea - lots of posts. If not done already, perhaps go over to http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/2748 and vote for it. Maybe it will happen... just need some momentum!
In the meantime, it's autohide the single panel and possibly add a dock desklet at the side.

Return to “Cinnamon”