Mint 15 Where: Cinnamon Settings; Window Settings?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
gwideman
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 15 Where: Cinnamon Settings; Window Settings?

Post by gwideman »

I am using Mint 15 Cinnamon RC1 x64. I am trying to disable the "window snap to full screen" setting, which I believe is supposed to be in Window Settings, which in turn is accessed through Cinnamon Settings, which everyone except me seems to know how to invoke.

So:
(a) Where how do I invoke "Cinnamon Settings".

(b) If "Cinnamon Settings" turns out to be synonymous with "System Settings" (I see it has many of the same icons as screen caps of Cinnamon Settings that I've seen), then where do I find Window Settings, as there's no such icon on my System Settings panel?

(c) In case the option to disable window snap is not on Window Settings, where do I find it?

Thanks!

-- Graham

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 15 Where: Cinnamon Settings; Window Settings?

Post by JosephM »

What your looking for is System Settings>Windows. Make sure you are in advanced mode or you won't see the option for Windows.

Just a small rant. I find the setting for normal and advanced mode a little pointless. It just seems to hide away some totally arbitrary settings and makes absolutely no sense to even have.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

gwideman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gwideman »

JosephM wrote:Make sure you are in advanced mode
Thanks JosephM, that, of course, is exactly what I needed to know. Aaarrgg!

What is DOUBLY galling is that the System Settings search box can't even find the Windows control thingy when in Normal mode.

Is there any way to set some default setting to set EVERY instance of normal/advanced to advanced to pre-empt this nonsense?

That said... pretty happy to find all these extra settings :-)

-- Graham

Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

JosephM wrote:Just a small rant. I find the setting for normal and advanced mode a little pointless. It just seems to hide away some totally arbitrary settings and makes absolutely no sense to even have.
I absolutely agree, to the point that I opened an issue about this (well in advance the final desing of the settings UI was finalized):

https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/1693

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have attracted much attention from the devs.

Rehdon

cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Post by cwsnyder »

AFAIK, the 'Normal' mode settings are supposed to keep you out of trouble (like the old GNOME 2.x default settings) by keeping you from rendering your desktop unusable. :shock: Maybe your desktop doesn't give you the flexibility you want in specifying the way you want the desktop to operate, but that is genuine GNOME 2.x thinking. :roll: Like Windows since Vista UAC, it is an annoyance you have chosen. Otherwise use one of the other desktops. KDE, anyone?
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit
Debian Mate 64-bit, Xubuntu xenial 64-bit, Ubuntu-Mate 14.04 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS Mate 64-bit

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

The only good thing about the simple/advanced setting is that once you set it to advanced it remembers the setting a stays set that way. I will check the issue posted on github and add a comment because I really don't think it makes any sense. Don't know if it will make a difference though.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

cwsnyder wrote:Maybe your desktop doesn't give you the flexibility you want in specifying the way you want the desktop to operate, but that is genuine GNOME 2.x thinking.
I'm afraid I've deleted the last GNOME 2.x partition from my disk, but iirc: no, it is not. The split normal/advanced settings had been rejected quite early, I remember discussions on the mlists about this specific "feature", it just doesn't make much sense on the UI side. If you're so wary about what user could do you wouldn't be adding "instant apply" to settings, which is another feature of GNOME 2.x.

Rehdon

Return to “Cinnamon”