Greeter application appears to be crashing

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by Nick Payne »

Yesterday and again today when booting up Mint 15 amd64, before the login window appears I get a dialog on screen saying " The Greeter application appears to be crashing. Attempting to use a different one." When I ok the dialog, the normal login window appears a couple of seconds later, and things seem to be fine from there on.

Never saw this message on Mint 14.

BanjoBoy
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by BanjoBoy »

I have the same problem. Upgraded from Linux Mint 14 to 15, not a fresh installation.

alxpt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alxpt »

same here, upgraded from 13 to 15 trough a fresh instalation.

ghendricks
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ghendricks »

Same here though I am on a fully patched fresh install of 15 RC.
Sometimes after this error, it will come again two or three times before bringing up the login screen. Also sometimes after logging in, (with or without this error) I see a popup with "Cinnamon appears to be crashing".
Both errors will usually go away if I do a full power cycle. but not if I only do a simple restart. I am not seeing anything in Xorg.log or /var/log/mdm that appears out of place. Is there another log file I should be looking at?

truckerpunk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by truckerpunk »

I got the same thing. Fresh install of Olivia here. Using the recommended Nvidia drivers.
Rather strange, and somewhat annoying. If anyone finds a solution, please post it here.

ghislain.cote
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ghislain.cote »

I switched to the "nvidia-313-updates" driver (I was using the recommanded "nvidia-310")...

I did not get any error for the past 3 reboots... Is this helping anybody else ?

Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nick Payne »

ghislain.cote wrote:I switched to the "nvidia-313-updates" driver (I was using the recommanded "nvidia-310")...

I did not get any error for the past 3 reboots... Is this helping anybody else ?
No, that's not a fix here. I'm using the same nvidia-313-updates driver, and although I can sometimes boot up without getting the error, I sometimes have the greeter application crash multiple times when booting. After half a dozen crashes I get a text dialog saying that as six crashes have happened in less than 90 seconds, there will he a wait of two minutes before trying again, and I then get a text mode login screen. If I login and then reboot, at that point I usually get the GUI up without getting the error.

alxpt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alxpt »

ghislain.cote wrote:I switched to the "nvidia-313-updates" driver (I was using the recommanded "nvidia-310")...

I tried that yesterday but it does the same thing, sometimes it boots fine, most times i get the error. :cry:

thraxsa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thraxsa »

I am getting the same error - any fix/help to fix this gremlin would be great.

Whitefort
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Whitefort »

Ditto here, and it's a fresh install that's been working perfectly until now.

Now I'm in a real panic, because there's a document I urgently need, and I can't get into my system to read it. I'd be REALLY grateful if anyone could tell me if I can even find a way to get in via terminal model and transfer it to a DVD drive or something?

I'm sure this is probably easy to do, but I don't know what commands to use!

Thanks!

doctorx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doctorx »

i figured it out... there is a patch that is killing mdm. I reinstalled mdm from synaptic and everything is working again. I bet if you look in system admin in the menu, you will not see login window applet anymore. Reinstalling mdm fixes it... however i cannot figure out what is nuking mdm.

doctorx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by doctorx »

if you are stuck with a crashed greeter... do these steps to recover: This is for non apt-get ninjas

ctrl-f1 to bring up command line and log in with user account...

once logged in ... type startx

that will get you in your desktop and start synaptic and search for mdm. select mdm and mate-session-manager. and rightclick and say reinstall.

once reinstalled then reboot... and you have your greeter back and the login window applet

Whitefort
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Whitefort »

Thanks, Doctorx - your advice got me into my system, and startx got it (sort of) working. But though I reinstalled mdm and installed mate-session-manager, I still have the same problems when I reboot.

But thanks for getting me in so I could access a crucial document - you saved me a HECK of a lot of job-related grief!

My confidence in Mint has taken a serious knock, though.

Whitefort
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Whitefort »

I don't know if this will help anyone else, but here goes...

I had a sudden "D'oh!" slap-on-stupid-head moment when I realised that the last time I used my (working) installation, I'd changed the greeter display.

Using the 'startx' method, I went back in, started the login-window changer, and changed it back to the last greeter that I knew had worked.

I restarted, and all was fine again.

taytong888
Level 1
Level 1

Post by taytong888 »

I have the same problem with Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon 64-bit. It occurs occasionally.

The following solution or work-around works for me:

1. Log out and reboot

2. On Grub boot menu, select Linux Mint 15 with boot option "systemd"

3. Hit ENTER

4. Another Grub menu appears. Select Linux Mint 15 "Kernel....(Recovery Mode)"

5. Select dpkg for "Repair broken packages"

6. Select "Resume Normal Boot Up"

7. Normal login screen appears.

I hope Mint developers fix this problem for good.

El Zoido
Level 2
Level 2

Post by El Zoido »

Have the same issue.
Very annyoing, as it now happens almost every boot.

Re-installing mdm didn't do anything.
I'm using the default greeter-theme and NVidia proprietary 313.

Am I right with my suspicion that this affects only NVidia users, or are there AMD users affected, too?

taytong888
Level 1
Level 1

Post by taytong888 »

This is Bug #1185540 which is currently unassigned.

It seems that the problem affects Gnome-based display manager like GDM, based on a Google search: "ubuntu+greeter application appears to be crashing".

Since this was solved several years ago for Ubuntu, I don't understand why Linux Mint 15 Cinnamon still has the problem.

taytong888
Level 1
Level 1

Post by taytong888 »

Hello,

I was still having the same problem even after the steps I posted at 1:50 PM.

Then I went into Synaptic Package Manager. Discovered that the current kernel was linux-image-3.8.0-19-generic and linux-image-extra-3.8.0-19-generic. Ditto for linux-headers-3.8.0-19.

After installing linux-image-3.8.0-23-generic and linux-image-extra-3.8.0-23-generic, as well as linux-headers-3.8.0-23-(generic?), I rebooted and was able to see the login screen as before.

Another reboot into linux-image-3.8.0-23-generic was successful. I hope this is THE solution for me!

El Zoido
Level 2
Level 2

Post by El Zoido »

I hope it helps you, but I've been running 3.8.0-23 for more than a week now (since I installed the AMD microcode fixes) and had absolutely no change in frequency of this error.

GerMulvey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GerMulvey »

happened a few times after different installs, found this thread and added 313 driver.
This seemed to resolve but yesterday for no apparent reason greeter crashed.
Although 313 driver appears to cause this less than others using nvidia gtx 550Ti.
Can't always get to tty either.
Showstopper atm, no issue when using mate version though suggesting cinnamon version issue.
If it ain't broke - fix it anyway!

Return to “Cinnamon”