Re: Greeter application appears to be crashing

Post by ghiltanas »

mmm i'll try the suggestion, i dont want to format

sloan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sloan »

ghiltanas wrote: i cant do nothing! it works only the shell in repair mode...help please, i'm using windows cause this problem :(
Why use Windows when you could just use a different version of Mint or even Mint 15 with another desktop environment. Just wondering does it have to be Mint 15 with Cinnamon or no Linux at all?
This is my Linux distro. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

ghiltanas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ghiltanas »

sloan wrote:
ghiltanas wrote: i cant do nothing! it works only the shell in repair mode...help please, i'm using windows cause this problem :(
Why use Windows when you could just use a different version of Mint or even Mint 15 with another desktop environment. Just wondering does it have to be Mint 15 with Cinnamon or no Linux at all?
?

cause i dont have time to save data in the others hd, format and reinstall. I don't play with pc, i need it and until i dont repair hd with linux i use windows, easy

RalphSiegler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RalphSiegler »

ghiltanas wrote:
i cant do nothing! it works only the shell in repair mode...help please, i'm using windows cause this problem :(
you could always just install gdm instead (installing that will remove mdm as part of process). go to console, (ctl + alt + f1), log in and and do "sudo apt-get update" then "sudo apt-get install gdm" then reboot with "sudo /sbin/reboot"

then wait until someday the bug is out of mdm and reinstall it the same way

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

@ralphS:

Thanks for the follow-up and nice, easy solution . . . .

@et al:

Don't know if this is part of this "greeter" app issue, but, even after switching to "GDM" in Log in Window . . . clicking "restart" just gets me to a black screen . . . doesn't get me through to the rEFIt window with options to select OSX or the Penguin . . . just lost in the black screen . . . have to shut down and then cold boot to get back to OSX . . . . I'll continue to monitor the situation . . . .

e.e.p.
MacBookPro5,4 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram LM17.1 MATE 64-bit w/ very-humorous Floating Feets!!!

RalphSiegler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RalphSiegler »

este.el.paz wrote: Don't know if this is part of this "greeter" app issue, but, even after switching to "GDM" in Log in Window . . . clicking "restart" just gets me to a black screen . . . doesn't get me through to the rEFIt window with options to select OSX or the Penguin . . . just lost in the black screen . . . have to shut down and then cold boot to get back to OSX . . . . I'll continue to monitor the situation . . . .

e.e.p.
now that you mentioned it, with running gdm I can't restart or power off from the login screen, have to be logged in to do that. If I use either of those functions from gdm login screen not only does nothing happen but then can't log in until I restart gdm. Since I normally power off from being logged in not a big deal for me

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

RalphSiegler wrote:
now that you mentioned it, with running gdm I can't restart or power off from the login screen, have to be logged in to do that. If I use either of those functions from gdm login screen not only does nothing happen but then can't log in until I restart gdm. Since I normally power off from being logged in not a big deal for me
@RS:

Thanks for the conversation, this was from the logged in Main menu that gave me a number of options to "shut down" or "suspend" or "restart" . . . and hitting restart got me into a black netherworld of nothingness . . . . So far from the GDM log in screen all I've tried to do, and it's worked OK, is put the unit into "Suspend" . . . for a laptop being lugged around in metro LA I want it to be logged out. But also important to be able to actually "restart" . . . maybe I have to hold the pesky "fn" key since I'm in Mac??? : - )) Was going to say that my case will probably be the opposite of yours, I'll be able to power off and restart from the GDM Log In window, but not the logged in window . . . sheesh . . . .

e.e.p.
MacBookPro5,4 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram LM17.1 MATE 64-bit w/ very-humorous Floating Feets!!!

ghiltanas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ghiltanas »

RalphSiegler wrote:
ghiltanas wrote:
i cant do nothing! it works only the shell in repair mode...help please, i'm using windows cause this problem :(
you could always just install gdm instead (installing that will remove mdm as part of process). go to console, (ctl + alt + f1), log in and and do "sudo apt-get update" then "sudo apt-get install gdm" then reboot with "sudo /sbin/reboot"

great! thank you, now i can open it :)

i had to go in recovery mode to use shell, cause combinations didnt work in normal mode...

however is a big bug, need to fix it soon

ghiltanas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ghiltanas »

edit: a lot of problem now, i cant move the windows, i dont see the full monitor (it's cut) and other things...when i have time i format

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

RalphSiegler wrote:
ghiltanas wrote:

@RalphS:

Just thinking about your suggestion to "ghiltanas" to "install gdm" . . . and in so doing it would "remove mdm" as part of that process . . . and then wondering whether just changing the Log In Window from "HTML" to "GDM" is enough to overcome whatever this MDM bug is . . . and whether or not doing the "install gdm" would deal with this GUI restart into black screen issue? I see another thread has been started talking about not being able to "shut down from GUI" . . . wondering whether this all relates to this MDM bug--and that it might be solved by "install gdm"???? and that would remove mdm and fix a few other of these issues???

e.e.p.

RalphSiegler
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RalphSiegler »

este.el.paz wrote:
Just thinking about your suggestion to "ghiltanas" to "install gdm" . . . and in so doing it would "remove mdm" as part of that process . . . and then wondering whether just changing the Log In Window from "HTML" to "GDM" is enough to overcome whatever this MDM bug is . . . and whether or not doing the "install gdm" would deal with this GUI restart into black screen issue? I see another thread has been started talking about not being able to "shut down from GUI" . . . wondering whether this all relates to this MDM bug--and that it might be solved by "install gdm"???? and that would remove mdm and fix a few other of these issues???

e.e.p.
ghiltanas was saying he couldn't even log into cinnamon to switch from HTML to GDM, so that's why I suggested just using plain gdm. now last night I found out if you install gdm (and mdm gets removed), but then reinstall mdm (and so gdm gets removed) you get a screen during mdm installation where you can choose whether to use HTML or GDM with your mdm, so I learned ghiltanas could go that route to get the mdm with GDM

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

RalphSiegler wrote: ghiltanas was saying he couldn't even log into cinnamon to switch from HTML to GDM, so that's why I suggested just using plain gdm. now last night I found out if you install gdm (and mdm gets removed), but then reinstall mdm (and so gdm gets removed) you get a screen during mdm installation where you can choose whether to use HTML or GDM with your mdm, so I learned ghiltanas could go that route to get the mdm with GDM
@RS:

Thanks once again for the reply . . . it sounds like you are saying that there is no point to do this install/uninstall/install process if we have access to the GUI and have already changed HTML to GDM . . . which is a time saver and goes along with my general approach to not waste time trying to fix details . . . but just do a total upgrade when the time comes. : - )

But, now with this newer behavior of issues with restarting into black screen and/or not shutting down as experienced by someone else, the question is--is this another problem, or does it relate to this mdm issue/bug? Anyway, it's not a huge problem . . . but when the amount of tinyproblems keeps adding it up w/o solution it becomes larger and the system becomes less feasible, etc. Compared to LM13 LM15 is better but not without its own issues . . . we'll see what the next few months brings.

e.e.p.

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

este.el.paz wrote:
But, now with this newer behavior of issues with restarting into black screen and/or not shutting down as experienced by someone else, the question is--is this another problem, or does it relate to this mdm issue/bug? Anyway, it's not a huge problem . . . but when the amount of tinyproblems keeps adding it up w/o solution it becomes larger and the system becomes less feasible, etc. Compared to LM13 LM15 is better but not without its own issues . . . we'll see what the next few months brings.

e.e.p.
@my fellow travelers:

On this thread, I found that the issues with rebooting into black screen or not being able to reboot from Terminal have possibly been resolved by upgrading to the new #26 kernel . . . which is hopeful; but question for this thread is, has the "bug" in MDM also been fixed by this remodeling of the kernel? I've more or less just gotten to a fairly nice GDM screen that allows me to also "suspend" the computer . . . anybody willing to sacrifice their time and system to see if it's safe to switch back to HTML? : - )) It doesn't seem like my "erratic cursor movement" issue has been solved by this new kernel, as several times while typing this post out the cursor jumped to another random place and started typing there . . . that continues to be the spoiler fly in the linux oinment for me in terms of long term relationship goes; but . . . baby steps . . . as they say.

e.e.p.

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

este.el.paz wrote:
RalphSiegler wrote:
@RS:

Thanks for the conversation, this was from the logged in Main menu that gave me a number of options to "shut down" or "suspend" or "restart" . . . and hitting restart got me into a black netherworld of nothingness . . . . So far from the GDM log in screen all I've tried to do, and it's worked OK, is put the unit into "Suspend" . . . for a laptop being lugged around in metro LA I want it to be logged out. But also important to be able to actually "restart" . . . maybe I have to hold the pesky "fn" key since I'm in Mac??? : - )) Was going to say that my case will probably be the opposite of yours, I'll be able to power off and restart from the GDM Log In window, but not the logged in window . . . sheesh . . . .

e.e.p.
@my fellow Mintians:

There was no reply to either of the last several posts here . . . this issue of not being able to "restart" from the User desktop or do anything except log out to the GDM window is a continuing problem . . . also not being able to "sudo reboot" from the Terminal is also quite handy . . . . I asked previously if this problem was "part and parcel" of the "Greeter application issue" or "mdm" issue, but didn't get any reply to that question either . . . .

I'm wondering how to get some attention on this problem so that a "fix" might become available, so that "normal" computer functions, things we "normally" expect to be able to do on our computers . . . restarting and such . . . would be able to actually be done using LM15????? I keep watching the list of updates for something that says "mdm" . . . but so far . . . nada . . . . Can't even get anybody to post to the thread with some ideas about how to troubleshoot the issue . . . I guess it's a variation on the old adage, "If it's broke, don't bother to fix it . . . "?????????

e.e.p.

phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phill1978 »

cinnamon feedback from devs is poor. thats why as beautiful as cinnamon is i went to KDE, there is a huge ammount of bug fixing and automated bug reporting tools there.. ohh and its actually 100% stable on normal activities, only messing to much with widgets and resizing causes some minor kde bug but it fixes itself. If you can imagine the login process is broken, the menu lags etc..
what systems do these devs run on ? can they not experience these issues too :?

at the momemt (*moment being since the inception of cinnamon) i guess the old adage is ringing true "beauty is only skin deep"

perhaps as KDE looks older and more traditional it starts to get a deeper sense of itself and is more mature? :P

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

phill1978 wrote:cinnamon feedback from devs is poor. thats why as beautiful as cinnamon is i went to KDE, there is a huge ammount of bug fixing and automated bug reporting tools there.. ohh and its actually 100% stable on normal activities, only messing to much with widgets and resizing causes some minor kde bug but it fixes itself. If you can imagine the login process is broken, the menu lags etc..
what systems do these devs run on ? can they not experience these issues too :?

at the momemt (*moment being since the inception of cinnamon) i guess the old adage is ringing true "beauty is only skin deep"

perhaps as KDE looks older and more traditional it starts to get a deeper sense of itself and is more mature? :P
@phill1978:

Thanks for the post . . . and recommend on KDE . . . perhaps I'll check it, on my PPC Macs I had some problems with KDE so I just haven't gone there in LM. I used XFCE with LM13??? and it was "OK" . . . kind of plain-jane . . . it is the eye-flash of Cinnamon that is more fun, but I've been having a problem with erratic cursor movement that continues to dog me, no matter whether it is XFCE, MATE, or Cinnamon . . . right now indeed the beauty is only skin deep . . . it's fun for a quick "slap and a tickle" as it is a tad zippier than OSX . . . but for anything serious, more, uh, "meaningful" I have to, 1. Log out of the LM desktop to the GDM window, 2. click "actions" and select "restart" 3. to Boot back into OSX . . . . Wish I didn't have to say that . . . maybe for LM16 I'll look at KDE?

e.e.p.

cwwilson721
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cwwilson721 »

The issue is a combination of mdm, kernel, and nvidia, with all pointing at each other.

Since Ubuntu 'rarely' has this issue (I ran Ubuntu 13.04 before Mint 15), I figured a change of the login manager was required.

I installed lightdm ([url=http://www.adminreseau.fr/how-to-use-lightdm-instead-of-mdm-in-linux-mint-13/]Using this link[/url]) , and that solved one part of the issue.
Next, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade solved the kernel.

Now, I can login ALOT more easily, with alot fewer crashes. (Not NONE. But they are REAL rare, plus, can get into the desktop 99/100, then a simple logout/login fixes any display issues)

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

cwwilson721 wrote:The issue is a combination of mdm, kernel, and nvidia, with all pointing at each other.
Since Ubuntu 'rarely' has this issue (I ran Ubuntu 13.04 before Mint 15), I figured a change of the login manager was required.
I installed lightdm ([url=http://www.adminreseau.fr/how-to-use-lightdm-instead-of-mdm-in-linux-mint-13/]Using this link[/url]) , and that solved one part of the issue.
Next, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade solved the kernel.
Now, I can login ALOT more easily, with alot fewer crashes. (Not NONE. But they are REAL rare, plus, can get into the desktop 99/100, then a simple logout/login fixes any display issues)
@cwwilson:

Thanks for your post, seems like maybe this issue is still happening? But, you mentioned 3 items, but only two options in terms of solution. Other posters have suggested switching from mdm to gdm, which I have done and it handled a large part of the issue while still providing a nice picture of a blade of grass with a drop of dew, etc. Lightdm is fine, especially for computers with little juice, but the switch to GDM is easy and is already installed with LM15. And, there have been several kernel changes since this thread was started . . . not thinking that that in and of itself is dealing with the problems. Part of my "ultimate solution" to this problem and the surrounding issues was to change from Cinn to XFCE DE, and when I initially tried to launch it . . . there was a crash . . . had to go into the TTY to do something, perhaps reboot and then switch the Log In Window to GDM. And since then, no crashes, I can "restart" from the desktop, whereas before in Cinn I had to log out before I could do that. XFCE doesn't have all of the eye flash, but I've got the cairo-dock in and overall . . . it works.

Question is, you've mentioned "Nvidia" as the third issue of the overlapping problems, but then didn't add anything about how you adjusted to that part of the problem . . . what have you done with Nvidia . . . any particular driver that you are using that reduced the problems?

e.e.p.

setigamer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by setigamer »

LinuxMint 15: Olivia x64
Kernel: 3.8.0-27-generic / #40-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 9 00:17:05 UTC 2013
Proc: Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz quad
Memory: 7.8GB (where's the last .2??? LOL)
Video: NVidia Quadro FX 5800 (GT200GL driver) : X graphix driver used: nvidia 310.44-0ubuntu2
Login window: FullMoon

I've been experiencing this issue quite a bit lately too, tried a few of the fixes listed here and on the web but not much luck. It's been making me grind my teeth :)

Just had a weird occurence, flash is completely borked on here too so I ran Synaptic Pkg Mgr and complete removed all adobe flash related packages. I rebooted the machine and the greeter app hasn't crashed once (3 boots so far). Chaged my login to GTK login (no HTML theme). Installed mint-flashplugin11 and the associated metapackage. Going to reboot, I'll post more as I go along.

este.el.paz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by este.el.paz »

setigamer wrote:LinuxMint 15: Olivia x64
Kernel: 3.8.0-27-generic / #40-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 9 00:17:05 UTC 2013
Proc: Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz quad
Memory: 7.8GB (where's the last .2??? LOL)
Video: NVidia Quadro FX 5800 (GT200GL driver) : X graphix driver used: nvidia 310.44-0ubuntu2
Login window: FullMoon
I've been experiencing this issue quite a bit lately too, tried a few of the fixes listed here and on the web but not much luck. It's been making me grind my teeth :)
Just had a weird occurence, flash is completely borked on here too so I ran Synaptic Pkg Mgr and complete removed all adobe flash related packages. I rebooted the machine and the greeter app hasn't crashed once (3 boots so far). Chaged my login to GTK login (no HTML theme). Installed mint-flashplugin11 and the associated metapackage. Going to reboot, I'll post more as I go along.
@setigamer:

Welcome to the forum . . . but because you did several changes seemingly close together it might be difficult to figure out which one thing might have been enough to fix your problem. But, in my personal case it doesn't seem that "flash is borked" because I can, even in XFCE, watch Youtube videos in FF without launching another app . . . ??? And, before you get too happy, this crash problem in my case was something that would be intermittent. Changing to the GDM login was the first change that cut it down . . . and then switching to a purely XFCE DE was what took care of all the other little problems.

You didn't list which DE you are using, but with Cinn I had all kinds of little issues with having to log out before re-starting, etc. You could read through my posts here . . . but XFCE 64 has been ****almost*** as flashy as Cinn, but . . . stable. I added the Cairo-dock so far, and my issues with erractic cursor movement have not been eliminated, but reduced . . . it's almost bearable . . . . Cinn was like having a relationship with a coke addict, it's fast, looks good, great in the sack when there's plenty of chemicals . . . but, uh, "tempramental and high maintenance" underneath . . . the hood. Best advice is to let folks who know how to tweak on OS play with it for awhile longer until it becomes less "Cid-like" . . . probably right after LM16 is released some changes to 15 will happen. : - )

e.e.p.
[Edit: PS: Later that same day, discovered that even XFCE is not inured against issue of crash on restart . . . previously I could click restart from the Cairo-dock and for the most part restart would happen, today we restarted again into "the blackness," neither shutdown nor asleep . . . possibly the latest kernel update has moved this crash problem back into play . . . ? Prior to the dock I would have to log out and then restart from the login window manager. So, as I said, this is an intermittent problem, seems to garner little attention from the folks who make adjustments to bugs, etc.]

Return to “Cinnamon”