Double entries on Cinnamon menu

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Double entries on Cinnamon menu

Post by vinoman »

I'm running Mint 15 Cinnamon. I've noticed lately that many of the menu listings are doubled up. Why would it list them twice? Is this a bug in Cinnamon?
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Double entries on Cinnamon menu

Post by karlchen »

Hello, vinoman.

Don't know whether there is a Cinnamon bug affecting Mint 15 in particular which leads to duplicate menu items.

Yet, I know they can be created unwillingly and easily by editing / copying files in the folders where the .desktop files are stored which the user sees as menu items:
+ system wide menu items: /usr/share/applications
+ personal menu items: ~/.local/share/applications

You can fix such duplicate entries by right-clicking on the [Menu] button and selecting "edit menu" from the context menu.
Then navigate to a menu holding duplicate entries and proceed like illustrated in the screenshot below.

[rimg]http://i.imgur.com/Q5tLBnW.png[/rimg]
(Cinnamon Menu duplicated entries)

Note:
The GUI will only permit you to disable an item (untick the "Show" property), but not to remove the item completely (=delete the corresponding .desktop file).

HTH,
Karl
Last edited by karlchen on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replaced local screenshot file with link to screenshot file uploaded to imgur.com
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
vinoman
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinoman »

Thank you. I have done this in the past. Just wondering why they would double up in the first place. I make the adjustments. :)
Alanm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alanm »

I have the same problem in LM 15 and 16. In LM 16 the problem wasn't there to begin with, but now it has suddenly appeared. The doubled menu entries are all related to system settings, e.g. Bluetooth and Sound. So I went to the two directories and found nothing unusual in local. However, in /usr/share/applications I found the double entries. When I looked at the properties of the two Bluetooth entries, one had the command 'gnome-control-center bluetooth' and the other had 'cinnamon-settings bluetooth'. Why is the gnome control center suddenly appearing in the menu?
GypsyPhoenix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GypsyPhoenix »

Had this show up in the past, and now again with Mint 16.
Like others, i am showing doubled menu entries for a number of system settings, apparently due to there being Gnome Control Center versions still part of the system as well as the expected Cinnamon versions.
is it possible to remove Gnome Control Center altogether and if so is there anything specific I'd need to know to do?
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Post by eanfrid »

Duplicated menu entries are almost all caused by installing more than one DE on your desktop, especially when mixing two members of the trio Gnome-MATE-Cinnamon. As far as you can, remove/purge all packages that do not belong to your DE of choice.
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Jessie 64bit - MATE
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
Safer than Dropbox

Return to “Cinnamon”