GUI is not running after update

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Ruke
Level 1
Level 1

GUI is not running after update

Post by Ruke »

Hi all, yesterday the s.o. told me that new updates had been found, so i installed them. when i restarted, the gui wasn't loading, only the command line.
How can i rollback those updates?.

i'm running on 64-bits, using linux mint olivia.

thanks.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: GUI is not running after update

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Ruke.

Sorry to have to tell you. But there is no simple rollback function.
If you really have to rollback the updates then this will be a manual process:
  • You will have to go through the file /var/log/dpkg.log from the bottom to the top and determine line by line ..
  • which software package has been updated from which old version to which version on the date when it happened.
  • You will have to write down the name of each updated software package and the exact old version string.
  • Then you will have to use apt-get commandlines in order to force the updater/installer to re-install the old versions.
As no GUI is available in your case, you will not be able to use the Synaptic package manager which would be helpful. Instead you will have to do so at the command prompt.

The alternative approach would be re-installing from the scratch.

Yet, sometimes things look like an absolute catastrophe (no GUI coming up), but in fact there is an error message which tells you what the problem really is. So there may be a way out of the plight.

Are there any error messages which give a hint what the reason might be why the GUI refuses to launch?

Kind regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Ruke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ruke »

Uhmm, this is kinda annoying u.u

Where should i look for error messages?
Also, any tip to avoid this kinda of problems in the future?

Thanks for the reply :).
Greetings.

Rehdon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rehdon »

Even if the GUI is not running after boot, you can still login with your username/password and then start it by means of "sudo mdm": this will bring you to the login screen where you can login again and start Cinnamon.

Very annoying, but I'm still forced to do this because I guess the same update went wrong for both of us: waiting for LM 16 instead of re-installing.

Redhon

Ruke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ruke »

Rehdon wrote:Even if the GUI is not running after boot, you can still login with your username/password and then start it by means of "sudo mdm": this will bring you to the login screen where you can login again and start Cinnamon.

Very annoying, but I'm still forced to do this because I guess the same update went wrong for both of us: waiting for LM 16 instead of re-installing.

Redhon
I tryed "sudo mdm" and it throws me unknown command :\.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Ruke.

Hm. mdm should found following the the search path $PATH. But anyway, you might try by giving the complete pathname, i.e.

Code: Select all

sudo /usr/sbin/mdm
or

sudo /usr/sbin/service mdm start
Kind regards,
Karl
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

Dyfi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dyfi »

No help for this current situation, but in future remember to backup prior to updating.

Ruke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ruke »

karlchen wrote:Hello, Ruke.

Hm. mdm should found following the the search path $PATH. But anyway, you might try by giving the complete pathname, i.e.

sudo /usr/sbin/mdm
or

Kind regards,
Karl

sudo /usr/sbin/mdm
unknown command.

mdm start/running, process 2581

Only that.
No help for this current situation, but in future remember to backup prior to updating.
I will remind it. Can you explain (or link/resource) me how to do it?.
If you really have to rollback the updates then this will be a manual process:
You will have to go through the file /var/log/dpkg.log from the bottom to the top and determine line by line ..
which software package has been updated from which old version to which version on the date when it happened.
You will have to write down the name of each updated software package and the exact old version string.
Then you will have to use apt-get commandlines in order to force the updater/installer to re-install the old versions.
I think I will do this. Can you tell me the commands please?.

Thank you for the help :).
Greetings.

Dyfi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dyfi »

For backup have a look at Clonezilla and Redobackup (which is probably the easiest to use). Links are below.

http://clonezilla.org/

http://redobackup.org/

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Ruke.

mdm start/running, process 2581
This is good news. It may suggest that a basic layer of the graphical subsystem has been started, provided mdm has not stopped right after starting up again.
You can verify by running the commandline

ps axu | grep -v grep | grep mdm
This is what is displayed here on my machine:

$ ps axu | grep -v grep | grep mdm
root      1203  0.0  0.2  21580  3916 ?        Ss   22:48   0:00 mdm
root      1253  0.0  0.2  22208  3912 ?        S    22:48   0:00 mdm
root      1304 16.8  2.8  75188 51368 tty7     Ss+  22:48   4:01 /usr/bin/X :0 -audit 0 -auth /var/lib/mdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7
Yet, here the graphical subsystem works correctly.

Rolling back the updates:

Answer to your question about rolling backup the installed updates:
Can you tell me the commands please?
Might be. Yet, definitely not without knowing the complete list of software packages which were updated on November 9th. - Provided the updates were installed November 9th. (In your initial post dated November 10th, you stated they had been installed the day before, i.e. November 9th)
You can get the list by running this commandline

grep "2013-11-09" /var/log/dpkg.log
Note:
Posting an incomplete or incorrect list of lines will inevitably lead to an incomplete list of apt-get commands trying to revert the updates.

Personally, I would prefer a forward solution: trying to find out the root cause of the problem which you are experiencing and solving it.
The downside of rolling back is:
It may be a real p.i.t.a. depending on the number of software packages that need to be rolled back.
The packages need to be pinned on the old versions or mintUpdate is going to suggest upgrading them again.

Radical solution: re-installing from the scratch:

Yet another alternative is re-installing from the scratch.
Downside: Of course this requires a lot of time.
Upside: You have got a clean and functioning system.

In case you should finally decide to perform a clean installation, personally I would give up on Mint 15. It will be supported till January 2014 only.
Either I would go back to Mint 14, supported until April 2014, causes less problems than Mint 15 (my personal feeling got by readin the problem reports on Mint 14 and Mint 15).
Or I would even go back to Mint 13, because it is an LTS version and will be supported till April 2017.
Looking foreward again, not backward: using Mint 14 till April 2014 may be a good compromise, because in May the next LTS edition will be released, Mint 17.

Kind regards,
Karl

Ruke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ruke »

ps axu | grep -v grep | grep mdm
nothing is returned.
Personally, I would prefer a forward solution: trying to find out the root cause of the problem which you are experiencing and solving it.
Can you guide me?, I'm really noob in linux.

Thanks again for all your help.
Greetings.

Return to “Cinnamon”