Cinnamon hangs often. I can't even move the mouse pointer

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
trevanian
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon hangs often. I can't even move the mouse pointer

Post by trevanian » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:55 pm

So, from time to time (sometimes several times at day), cinnamons freeze completely, I can't move my mouse nor change to a tty session. CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to kill the x session doesn't work either, so I have to restart it manually.
I'm running Linux Mint Petra in an Intel Core 2 Duo, with 4 gb of memory and NVIDIA GeForce 210. I'm using noveau drivers at the moment.

I was wondering if there is any log I could check after the restart or if you have a suggestion.

Cheers

clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Cinnamon hangs often. I can't even move the mouse pointe

Post by clfarron4 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:07 pm

Do the nvidia drivers work for you?
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.

kingsthane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kingsthane » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:15 pm

I have the same problem too.

trevanian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trevanian » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:03 am

clfarron4 wrote:Do the nvidia drivers work for you?
I just installed them (nvidia 319), but cinnamoon just freeze some moments ago.

trevanian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trevanian » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:30 pm

Anyone? I'm just asking for a method to debug the issue, I'm using XFCE at the moment, and I hadn't any problems so far, so it seems it is in fact a cinnamon issue.

d00med
Level 4
Level 4

Post by d00med » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:30 pm

It might be related to [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=103054]this[/url]. But maybe not since they say that issue was resolved. Here's a bug report that may or may not me relevant.

phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phill1978 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:33 pm

I also have this.

AMD APU + Catalyst driver. No widgets just a normal simple desktop. It hangs from time to time and a complete reboot is needed.

all upto date which is annoying because i was playing a steam game doing really well and the system hung ... twice :roll:

I must admit i only use Linux Mint but is there a Linux DE that doesnt crash ? Serious question. I think XFCE might not?

clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by clfarron4 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:49 pm

phill1978 wrote:I also have this.

AMD APU + Catalyst driver. No widgets just a normal simple desktop. It hangs from time to time and a complete reboot is needed.

all upto date which is annoying because i was playing a steam game doing really well and the system hung ... twice :roll:

I must admit i only use Linux Mint but is there a Linux DE that doesnt crash ? Serious question. I think XFCE might not?
I mainly use an AMD APU + AMD Radeon 6480G with Catalyst and I find that Cinnamon hangs and then catches up again about once a week and hangs and dies about once every 18 days.

XFCE probably wouldn't crash (I've never had it crash on me before).
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.

clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by clfarron4 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:50 pm

clfarron4 wrote:
phill1978 wrote:I also have this.

I mainly use an AMD APU + AMD Radeon 6480G with Catalyst and I find that Cinnamon hangs and then catches up again about once a week and hangs and dies about once every 18 days. This usually happens with CPU and GPU intensive stuff (and I mean very heavy).

XFCE probably wouldn't crash (I've never had it crash on me before).

trevanian
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trevanian » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:55 am

d00med wrote:It might be related to [url=http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=103054]this[/url]. But maybe not since they say that issue was resolved. Here's a bug report that may or may not me relevant.
Thanks, but might not be exactly the same. He can restart x or go to ttys, I can't. The computer just froze. I wonder if I should fill a bug report. But I don't have anything technical to report, since I don't know where logs should I post.

Return to “Cinnamon”