Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
rosenhof
Level 1
Level 1

Not able to login after latest update

Post by rosenhof » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:05 am

Hi

I'm using Linux Mint 13 64-bit with Cinnamon desktop as a dual boot option next to Win7x64 on my work laptop HP 8560p
I'm using 13 Maya since it's an LTS version and the fact that it's based on Ubuntu 12.04.3 which we use a lot at work. but I prefer LM with Cinnamon

I usually apply all updates available approximately once every month to keep the system updated but when I did this yesterday I applied updates since perhaps early November (not sure) and I think there where less than five of category 1

My problem:
After the upgrade I did meet a new first screen after start-up where I usually meet the login screen, and it usually play a login sound which it didn't now.
The upper hand right corner has a "power" button that will show the options for shut down, re-start, ect.
No dialogue box to enter user and password but if I type the arrow up button on the keyboard a login screen will appear.
The problem is that the screen appears to be empty as you can see on this screen shot below,
If I enter my password dots will appear as I type but after pressing OK I get the message "wrong password or user"

In that login box there are two small icons where I can change language and desktop (Cinnamon, Gnome etc)

I have read and searched the forum but can't find any similar issues.
Any advice on what to do next?

If I boot LM in fail-safe mode I can enter the shell and my password works fine so it's not a password typo error.

Abut me and my Linux experience:
I consider myself as a novice and try to read and google for tips and solutions as much as possible.
At work I work with embedded Linux equipment and are familiar with the commands I need.
I'm trying to use Linux a little bit more to learn but I'm mainly 95% using different Windows version both at work and at home.
Beside this I have a Vu+Duo satellite top set box and recently I have got a Raspberry Pi
I wish to reduce the Windows usage to a minimum.
Last edited by rosenhof on Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

rosenhof
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Not able to login after latest update

Post by rosenhof » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:04 am

Logged in via Ctrl-Alt-F1 and I was allowed in but logged out immediate if that gives any clues

Code: Select all

Linux Mint 13 Maya <computername> tty1
<computername> login:<user>
Password:<passw>
Last login: Wed Jan 8 12:26:31 CET 2014 on tty1
Welcome to Linux Mint 13 Maya (GNU/Linux 3.2.0-23-generic x86_64)

Welcome to Linux Mint 13 Maya
 * Documentation:  http://linuxmint.com

33 packages can be updated.
0 updates are security updates.

Linux Mint 13 Maya <computername> tty1
<computername> login: 

rosenhof
Level 1
Level 1

Not able to login after latest update

Post by rosenhof » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:42 am

Update

I managed to help my self If others run into the same issue I can post what I did.

I booted Linux into recovery mode and enabled the network, then I used the option dpkg "Repair broken packages" and allowed to run and kept the settings I was prompted for to keep or update (they was about keeping Mint or replacing with Ubuntu 12.04 .....)

Then it started into the normal GUI but there was some issue with the graphics driver (run in program rendering mode without hardware acceleration)
I selected Menu/settings/additional drivers and selected the top option "ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX driver", It installed and I rebooted.
Then it seams to work.

Posting this from Linux 13 :)

edit: adding the history.log and mintUpdate.history from the update that may be useful if someone look into why this happened
Attachments
mintUpdate.history.tar.gz
mintUpdate.history from /var/log
(11.29 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
history.log.tar.gz
history.log from /var/log/apt
(1.94 KiB) Downloaded 114 times

rosenhof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rosenhof » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:48 am

This worked for a brief moment, now I'm back to square one :evil:

After I logged in the last time when I did my post above, I logged out, changed from Swedish to British English in the log in dialogue I can't log in any more!!!
"Wrong user or password" Very annoying

If I use Ctrl-Alt-F1 and are using my normal user I get logged in for 2 seconds and quickly logged off.
If I log in as user root, I can get in but then I don't know what to do.

Additional info. When I did manage to log in once i did run mintUpdate and there was several packets that said "error" and couldn't get fetched and that was the next thing I had planned to fix after this terrible "update"

I'm very close to format the drive now...

rosenhof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rosenhof » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:43 am

I logged in with Ctrl-Alt-F1 as root and created two new users with passwords for test purpose and rebooted
Now I'm able to select either of the new users to login and the password is accepted to login (but I haven't configured home directories etc)
Shouldn't my user name show up too? I think that is the main reason for my problem, I can't login as myself.
Something in the configuration must be lost and I need help to restore this.

I also tried the switch user command with the following outcome that may indicate that something in my user profile has been wrong during the update

su to the the two new users work but not to my own used id (uid=1000 dhe134)

The directories do exist even if the screen shot says otherwise.

Janet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Janet » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:40 am

Hi, I am really a newbie; I have had the same problem when updating my system Cinnamon does not work. The only thing I could do was to request a default change and start signing in under gnome. I know that is not a fix, but I can get on. Is Cinnamon something I can take off? Thanks..

rosenhof
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rosenhof » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:32 am

@Janet

Sorry to here that you also have this problem, I couldn't find any solution neither anyone was able to give any advice at all.
I Installed LM16 Cinnamon on the LM13 partition so I will not dig into this specific problem again I hope...

But I'll sure need some help since the first thing that pops up when I have installed LM16 is that the in the update manager can't download all repository indexes, even the new for petra fails and when making a screenshot of it, gnome-screenhot uses 100% of the CPU
But I'll search for that in other parts of the forum.
And then I need to get all my applications to work again. Really regret that I updated my system in the first place.
good that I have my /home directory on a different partition.
And I'm starting to having second thought's about my choice of Linux distro, I need a easy to use and stable one, this isn't stable in my opinion

Janet, I hope you will get some help to solve the issue.
/David

Return to “Cinnamon”