How to move Tomboy Notes to system tray area? [solved]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
aneurysm1985

How to move Tomboy Notes to system tray area? [solved]

Post by aneurysm1985 »

In previous Linux MInt installations (e.g. Mint 13, which I just upgraded from), Tomboy Notes would automatically start with my PC at startup. There would be an icon in the 'system tray' area which I could click on to 'create a new note', or to edit a recently-created note. A bit like this, except my system tray used to be down the bottom of the screen.

After upgrading to Mint 16 Cinnamon, I am struggling to restore this functionality to my system. Currently Tomboy only wants to operate as a standard application in the taskbar like this.

My question is: how do I add Tomboy to the system tray area, so that it is next to all of my other applets at startup? Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caribriz

Re: How to move Tomboy Notes to system tray area?

Post by caribriz »

aneurysm1985 wrote: how do I add Tomboy to the system tray area, so that it is next to all of my other applets at startup?
Try this -
Go to Menu > Preferences > Startup Applications
On the right of the window, click Add
Add Startup Program window opens ...
fill in:
Name: Tomboy Notes
Command: tomboy
click Add

On restart, Tomboy Notes should be displayed in System Tray.

aneurysm1985

Re: How to move Tomboy Notes to system tray area?

Post by aneurysm1985 »

Thanks for the solution.

I had considered doing that, but I assumed that the software would simply appear in the taskbar, rather than in the system tray.

Return to “Cinnamon”