Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
TrapperB
Level 1
Level 1

How to disable <Alt>-`

Post by TrapperB »

Hi there!

So, it's time for my "every release" question of how to disable the <Alt>-` (backtick). :-)

My first question was asking how to disable the <Alt>-` for LM 15. Now, I'm trying to figure out how to disable it on LM 16.

I first set about disabling it the way my previous issue was solved. But, as I've learned, Cinnamon 2.0 isn't as tied to Gnome as it was before. dconf-editor isn't laid out as before and I can't find "Above_Tab" anywhere. If you're wondering, <Alt>-` is the "Switch between group" hotkey. It allows you to switch between windows of the same application, not merely between all windows on the same workspace. I don't see this functionality mentioned anywhere in System Settings or dconf-edit. I'm wondering if I need to assign this key some arbitrary hotkey so that the default, <Alt>-`, is now free. Pure speculation based on other solutions to these sorts of problems. I'd try it, but I don't know what the configuration key is for this functionality is.

I must therefore hope my fellow Minters can help me. You're my only hope. :-)

-Travis

Build info:
Linux Mint Petra, Cinnamon 2.0.14

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to disable <Alt>-`

Post by grimdestripador »

Cool, a new trick. Onward to using <Alt>-`

TrapperB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TrapperB »

I suppose if my problem has actually helped somebody then it can't be all bad. :-)

I'd still like to know how to remove this hotkey, though.

Anyone? I'm looking at a hotkey that doesn't appear to be defined anywhere. It's probably defined in Gnome somewhere.

Help?

TrapperB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TrapperB »

Any ideas?

I've narrowed it down to the App Switcher application in /usr/share/cinnamon/js/ui/appSwitcher/appSwitcher.js

There's reference to a Meta.KeyBindingAction.SWITCH_GROUP value. However, I don't want to just keep on hacking on it until nothing works. Anyone familiar with this bit and how I might define something other than <Alt>` for SWITCH_GROUP?

Thanks!
-Travis

Last bumped by TrapperB on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:39 am.

Return to “Cinnamon”