Cinnamon Menu sometimes scrambled - how to restart menu?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carlosdanger

Cinnamon Menu sometimes scrambled - how to restart menu?

Post by carlosdanger »

Hi,

sometimes the menu at the bottom is scrambled. I think it happens when I watch Youtube videos in VLC. But I am not sure - it could be easily something completely different.

What do I mean with scrambled? The text an icons in the menu and the taskbar are not painted properly. Often it is missing completely.

It doesn't happen often but I am always forced to logout or restart. It works again after that.

I wonder if I just can restart the menu/taskbar without logging out?

Cheers,
sb
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Cinnamon Menu sometimes scrambled - how to restart menu?

Post by austin.texas »

You can refresh Cinnamon without rebooting by hitting Alt-F2 > r
or right-click on the Panel > Troubleshoot > Restart Cinnamon
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
carlosdanger

Post by carlosdanger »

austin.texas wrote:You can refresh Cinnamon without rebooting by hitting Alt-F2 > r
or right-click on the Panel > Troubleshoot > Restart Cinnamon
Cool. Vielen Dank! Ich denke mal das wird mein Problem loesen wenn es naechstes Mal auftritt. Im Panel kann man auch gleich Looking Glass starten. Ich denke mal das ist so eine Art Debugging Loesung.

Apropos...vielleicht weisst du ja auch noch eine Loesung fuer folgendes Problem welches auch nur sehr sporadisch auftritt. Ich mache oft Standby und wenn ich den Rechner wieder aufwache kommt das Passwort-Feld. Sehr selten geht dann die Tastatur nicht. USB raus/rein bringt nichts. Ich denke es liegt nicht an der Tastatur - wenn ich naemlich auf Switch-User klicke kommt ich zum Login-Screen und da funktioniert die Tastatur wieder.

Das mit dem Tastatur Problem nach dem erstenmal wo es autritt wiederholbar. D.h. Standby - Aufwachen - Passwort kann nicht eingegeben werden.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

The password does not show on the screen when you type it - for security reasons.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
carlosdanger

Post by carlosdanger »

austin.texas wrote:The password does not show on the screen when you type it - for security reasons.
Normally it shows black dots. I know it won't show clear text. When the problem appears there is no cursor blinking in the password field and I cannot click inside the field with the mouse. Typing on the keyboard does not work either.

When I click on the "Switch User" button it goes to the login-box and there I can type.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I used to have problems with Resume and Wake, also, when I was using Mint 13. But with Mint 16 Cinnamon I don't have those problems.
What is your graphics card?
What Mint are you using?
Linux Linx 2018
carlosdanger

Post by carlosdanger »

I am using the most recent Mint 16 (Petra).

I don't have a problem with the Sleep/Resume. Only the box to unlock the screen is not working. It's no big deal since I can just press "Switch User" and get to the login box where the keyboard works again.

As I said, this problem happens very sporadically. When it occurs it keeps reoccuring until I restart my machine.

My graphics card is a Intel HD Graphics chip. I have a Thinkpad T510.
carlosdanger

Post by carlosdanger »

Maybe it helps to find out which program is responsible for displaying the password box after sleep/resume?

When I restart my computer the problem is fixed. Maybe restarting the application mentioned above does the same? I would like to test it.
Don_Pedro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Don_Pedro »

Hi,
Restart Cinnamon : ALT--> F2 is a god trick but if you need it often there is an applet for that which "Simply restart Cinnamon with one click"

http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/14

Cordially
P.
Mint 21.2 64-bit , Cinnamon
Think Pad T420 Ram:8 GB Intel© Core™ i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz × 2 SSD Samsung- Firefox/Brave
Shankaraya
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shankaraya »

It happens to me playing FLAC files.
I think it has something to do with the font of the taskbar. Something happens when titles of songs are displayed in the taskbar, guess.
Happens with mint 17.2 and still after upgrading to 17.3
Shankaraya: LMDE4 Cinnamon, kernel 4.19.0-9-amd64
Thinkpad T410, i5 cpu with integrated graphics controller (intel).
Shankaraya
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shankaraya »

Shankaraya: LMDE4 Cinnamon, kernel 4.19.0-9-amd64
Thinkpad T410, i5 cpu with integrated graphics controller (intel).

Return to “Cinnamon”