Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
kyrios
Level 1
Level 1

freeze of the window manager

Post by kyrios »

Hello,

I'm running linux mint 17 cinnamon edition 64-bit on a laptop (no other os installed) with a core i5-430M cpu, a nvidia gt 325M gpu, 6gb ram and 250gb ssd and since a couple of days, I experienced quite frequent freeze (3 times in less than 2 hours just now). The system is not completely crashed because I can do a CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE, it brings me back to the login page and after re-opening my sessions, everything seems to work normally again.

My system is up-to-date (all updates level 1-3 are installed), I haven't installed lot of extra applications.

Before mint 17, I was running linux mint 15 mate edition 32-bit (then upgraded to mint 16) booting from a usb stick (my hard disk crashed and i used this as a temporary solution until i decide if I should buy a new laptop or just a hard disk, keep on using windows or switching to linux, finding solutions to restore my outlook .pst files on thunderbird without having windows anymore, etc...). At the end I decided to buy a SSD and extra RAM for my laptop and to wait the mint 17 LTS to re-install my PC in a decent way.

As I said, I had no problem at all for one and half week, the problems started a couple of days ago. First I suspected an update but I don't heard anyone else having this problem.
Now I suspect Mint update or more probably Firefox because it is usually the very first software I run when I log in and it's just after the login that the GUI freeze.
I don't open lot of tabs (usually 3 or 4) and I don't browse heavy websites with lot of flash or video when this occurs...

Any idea on how I could identify the cause of these freezes ?
wmichaelb
Level 2
Level 2

Re: freeze of the window manager

Post by wmichaelb »

I'm having a similar problem. Just letting Mint 17/Cinnamon run by itself uses up 550 or so MB and no swap. Letting Firefox sit there on top of that uses
up a total of 780 or so MB and no swap. Opening a few tabs pushes it up to 1 GB of RAM and 316 KB of swap. I find that the entire desktop freezes
every couple of minutes for 30 seconds or so, and then reawakes. The RAM usage doesn't go up at the freeze point, and I still have control of the cursor.
But it does nothing. I can't open either applications or applets; it's just a brick. 20-30 seconds like that, and it returns. This has happened when running
Firefox, Chromium, Evince, and Libreoffice, not all at the same time.

On one or two occasions, I have had the desktop freeze and stay frozen until I gave up and rebooted. No idea why.
FFIXCollector
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FFIXCollector »

I have the same issue. I'm running a Nvidia 8800GS, and believe I have isolated the issue to the nouveau driver. The Nvidia driver seems to fix it, but in my case, the fan spins at 100%, and the PC is right next to my monitor.

I would like to verify this, and isolate the problem, but do not know which logs to pull, or what to search.
kyrios
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kyrios »

I use the nvidia 331.38 drivers.
I will try with the intel drivers.

Return to “Cinnamon”