Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
paul59
Level 1
Level 1

Delay after log-in

Post by paul59 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:14 am

Hello

I installed Mint 17 Cinnamon (64 bit) on my new HP Pavilion 15 laptop (in place of Windows not dual boot). The machine is a 64 bit quad core 8Mb/1Tb with AMD Radeon HD 7600G. After installing I added dropbox, switched to the AMD driver to give better control over graphics and installed Ted an rtf text editor (which also required the older libtiff4).

I now find that there is a long delay between logging in and when the desktop appears - sometimes as long as 30-40 seconds. I only have Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, Dropbox and Mint Update active in start up applications and I haven't changed anything else.

Can anyone suggest where I should start looking for the cause of this delay? It makes the total time from boot until useability painful!

TIA

Paul

Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Delay after log-in

Post by Kalyk » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Can it be that it is first synchronizing Dropbox and that takes some time?
Or do you also do some other network connection which might have a timeout?
So try not starting Dropbox (or uninstalling it as a test).
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

shieldfire
Level 1
Level 1

Post by shieldfire » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:26 am

I'm experiencing the same, should the synchronization take place between logon and desktop display?
I'm not using Dropbox but ownCloud with synchronization, but still. I would expect the synchronization to happen after that the desktop is "useable".

Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kalyk » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:34 am

At this site I see a few things about starting Dropbox.
http://www.dropboxwiki.com/tips-and-tri ... erface-cli
Probably it is now on autostart (after being started during boot it then synchronizes during logon if I understand this correctly).
So you might see where it is started, then remove it there and make it start after some time.
If this is really the issue here.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.

paul59
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paul59 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:15 am

Thanks both. I'm pretty sure I disabled the Dropbox daemon when I was initially having this problem but I've re-installed since then. I'll disable it when I'm in front of the machine later on today to double check.

I can say for sure that the Dropbox 'syncing' animation is visible once the desktop appears and, as my dropbox files haven't changed, the time taken for this sync is normal... a second or two. So, unless it's establishing the initial connection to dropbox that is causing the delay I don' think Dropbox will be the cause.

The only time I've had a similar issue in the past was with Thunar trying to find/restore network connections at log-in. In that instance I did this

Code: Select all

...editing /usr/shares/gvfs/mounts/network.mount and setting AutoMount=false
and it fixed the problem. I'm not sure if this applies to the Mint 17 file manager but it might be worth checking.

Paul

paul59
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paul59 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:13 pm

I disabled Dropbox and there's no change. It takes about 8 seconds after logging in to get the default log-in sound effect, then a further 26 seconds until the desktop appears.

I seem to have another issue now - about one in three boots fail to reach the log in stage - I get the 'LM' logo then the Mint 17 text at top left then nothing. I have to switch off and back on and hope for the best. Why it should boot sometimes and not others seems very strange.

I initially installed 17 MATE but found it rather sluggish so installed Cinnamon. Now I'm wondering if I should revert to Mint 13 as it has performed flawlessly on all my various machines. I specifically bought a new laptop to commit to Mint (and wiped Windows 8.1 without even using it) - needless to say it's been a rather disappointing experience so far :(

Paul

EDIT: I tried using an ethernet cable and disabled wireless in case that was the issue. It still takes about 8 seconds to get the welcome tone but the desktop appears after about 20 seconds so a tiny bit quicker but still extremely poor.

EDIT #2: Tried switching back from flgrx to Xorg driver. No difference. Incidentally it takes about 10-15 seconds just to bring up this driver selection window.

Redsandro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Redsandro » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:06 am

I had the same problem a few versions ago. It was not related to Dropbox. However, I am not sure your case is the same.

I noticed a delay of around a minute every time I logged in. At some point I just created a new user just for when I wanted to do some quick browsing. I noticed it logged in immediately.

Turns out in my case it was because I re-used my home directory for a few versions now and it was containing a lot of outdated crap and configuration. I was too lazy to start fresh.

In the end, I moved everything from my home to a backup directory, and moved everything back one by one, logging in again after every time.
Turned out, a lot of directories in ~/.local and ~/.config caused this. Better start fresh and only restore the directories to software for which you REALLY want to keep the settings.
Friends or family want you to install something on their Windows machine, because you "know computers"?

Try Windows Remix. Batch-installing FOSS with a single click.

paul59
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paul59 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Thanks for the ideas Redsandro. In my case it's a virtually new installation so I don't think it's anything I've added or changed - my config is pretty much the default. I'm going to try installing the 32bit version, see if that's any better.

Cheers

Paul.

Redsandro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Redsandro » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:11 pm

You shouldn't have to install the 32 bit version. It's limited to using 3,2 GB of memory and other limitations that were no issue 6 years ago.

Maybe there are some hints in the logs. On a fresh boot, after login is complete, see if there are some hints in dmesg, /var/log/syslog, /var/log/boot.log or some of the others.

I know, no one likes to spend time on something like this. But the relatively new release including software packages might benefit from your experience if you actually can find out what causes this and file a bug report.

Some system or package component is probably having a conflict with your specific hardware setup, a specific scenario that wasn't tested by the developers but might affect other users as well.

-edit-

Judging for the desultory things you tried, it also sounds a bit like a problem with I/O. I had that once too, where my SSD was flipping because of a regression in the driver. I had to disable some power management stuff until a new kernel was released. And I had the same problem on my HTPC, but that one was new and didn't have prior experience; I fixed it using a different SATA cable, even though the one I used worked perfectly in a different computer before.

Might not be related, but just putting it out there. :)
Friends or family want you to install something on their Windows machine, because you "know computers"?

Try Windows Remix. Batch-installing FOSS with a single click.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:48 pm

Your probably right about the remote share(s) connections slowing down the system; such remote browsing(checks for mounts) are likely to slow down the desktop loader
http://askubuntu.com/questions/56428/ho ... m-on-logon

gvfs and fuse wrapping !
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GVFS
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs
--for any issues with that option, bugs or questions

In general terms, to improve system speed, you can consider:
  • Services, daemons that run on start-up of the OS
  • Any programs that autostart
  • Pre-linking some apps, if you use them a lot
  • Also the style or look of your desktop, can the graphics card easily handle any appearance settings you choose, such as transparent menus and so on..
http://www.howtogeek.com/115797/6-ways- ... up-ubuntu/
http://askubuntu.com/questions/89475/ho ... up-the-gui

paul59
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paul59 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Thanks again both. Reverting to 32 bit does seem a retrograde step; I'm going to re-install 64 bit and re-examine things from a totally fresh install.

I originally installed 64 bit MATE (as I'd been very happy with Maya MATE) but this had some strange issue that I think was power or graphics card related - for example browser windows would sometimes flicker and 'repaint'. Actually it may be a Firefox problem as it has a minor issue in Cinnamon - opening a new tab increases brightness!

I'll report back, thanks again,

Paul

paul59
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paul59 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:49 pm

Right, I re-installed Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit.

My approximate timings for first boot:
Switch-on to log-in: 40+ seconds
Log-in to 'welcome' sound effect: 8+ seconds
Log-in to visible desktop: 34 seconds

I unchecked the 'show welcome screen' option and re-booted, the timimngs were about the same. I have changed nothing else from the virgin install (no updates either). It recognised the wireless connection I used at install. I haven't got any other PC's etc on the network at present so it's not looking for previously found shares.

I'm not sure what to do now - maybe dump Mint 17 altogether or try the 32 bit version??

Any help appreciated

Paul

Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kalyk » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:26 am

From what I read in the posts LM17-64 Cinnamon is quite fast and that's my experience too.
My laptop boots in about 15 seconds to a working desktop but it is using an SSD.

Can it be that you have a harddisk problem? Look in the BIOS for SMART-errors and do a check.
Or is it perhaps a very slow harddisk (or very fast with a timing issue between bios and harddisk)?
Are the BIOS settings of the machine correct and is there perhaps a BIOS-update?

Your first post put me on what turns out te be a wrong track, so back to basics.
Post the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -F
so we can see what hardware we are talking about.
Look in /var/log in the logfiles for a specific error (possibly a needle in a haystack).
If you are using a wireless connect try a wired one.
Try resetting a switch or router you connect to.
If using wireless, see if you're not on a bloated channel with the whole neighborhood :-) (I had that recently, a lot of disconnects).

paul59
Level 1
Level 1

Post by paul59 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:35 am

Thank you Kalyk but I've given up with Cinnamon for now - three installs and endless tinkering on a brand new machine is too much for me, I need my computer to be working.

I installed the newly released XFCE last night and this particular issue has gone but it now has the constantly-dropping-wireless-connection problem (mentioned in the hardware section here on the forum) and an issue with notifications that makes it pretty unuseable. If I can't fix that today I'm going to try Mint 13, at least that works on all my older machines at home and work.

Cheers

Paul

user815
Level 1
Level 1

Post by user815 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:30 am

paul59 wrote:Hello

I installed Mint 17 Cinnamon (64 bit) on my new HP Pavilion 15 laptop (in place of Windows not dual boot). The machine is a 64 bit quad core 8Mb/1Tb with AMD Radeon HD 7600G. After installing I added dropbox, switched to the AMD driver to give better control over graphics and installed Ted an rtf text editor (which also required the older libtiff4).

I now find that there is a long delay between logging in and when the desktop appears - sometimes as long as 30-40 seconds. I only have Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, Dropbox and Mint Update active in start up applications and I haven't changed anything else.

Can anyone suggest where I should start looking for the cause of this delay? It makes the total time from boot until useability painful!

TIA

Paul

If you have an HDD with ext4 formatted drives. I would suggest you to install and configure e4rat. It will decrease the delay you are facing.

Return to “Cinnamon”