Missing Submenus [Closed]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dzeller

Missing Submenus [Closed]

Post by dzeller »

I am running Linux Mint 16 (Petra), and I noticed today that I am missing the Games and Science submenus from the launcher. I have been attempting to use LibreMenu to fix this (I absolutely hate alacarte), but I havent been able to find a fix... Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nomko

Re: Missing Submenus

Post by nomko »

First of all, we miss the screenshot.

Secondly, do you have any application installed which has an entry in one of the mentioned menu entries?
My experience is, if nothing is installed which requires a launcher in one of the menu entries, that particular menu entry will not be shown in the menu structure. And why should it? It's an empty menu entry after all...
dzeller

Post by dzeller »

Sorry about the screenshot. I uploaded it, but for some reason it didn't go through. I'm new to the forum. And yes, both menu entries contain launchers..
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

What desktop (Cinnamon, Mate...) are you running? In Control Center you should have a "Main Menu" item. You should be able install it from Synaptic Package Manager if it's not there. It's called "mozo" in Synaptic.
Main Menu.png
EDIT: Btw... LM 16 will be no longer supported in pretty short order. That means no more updates! You might think about LM 17 or even LM 13 for long term support if you just recently install 16. http://www.linuxmint.com/download_all.php Look at the "Status" column for supported 'till dates.
dzeller

Post by dzeller »

I am running Cinnamon. mozo is generally used for Mate from what I have researched... I've had the best luck using LibreMenu in Cinnamon and it works great, but I would really like it to send the .desktop files to /usr/share/applications.. but that would be another topic.. I will send a screenshot of the menu when I have a chance. Upgrading to 17 might be a fix, and I probably will need to eventually anyway. I would really like to know what is going on first though. The correct .desktop files are in the right locations.. Is there a master file that controls what is displayed on the menu?
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

dzeller wrote:I am running Cinnamon. mozo is generally used for Mate from what I have researched... I've had the best luck using LibreMenu in Cinnamon and it works great, but I would really like it to send the .desktop files to /usr/share/applications.. but that would be another topic.. I will send a screenshot of the menu when I have a chance. Upgrading to 17 might be a fix, and I probably will need to eventually anyway. I would really like to know what is going on first though. The correct .desktop files are in the right locations.. Is there a master file that controls what is displayed on the menu?
Fwiw... with some difficulty I booted up a LM 17 Cinnamon live DVD. (C17 doesn't like nVidia graphics cards :evil:). In live mode, mind you, I installed "mozo" with Synaptic Package Manager. It worked just fine.

After install in live mode it was nowhere to be found in Control Center, All Applications or anywhere else from the main menu. So I had to run it either from Terminal Window or via alt-F2 (or maybe it was alt-F1 in C17) or via the icon in /user/bin.

I get what you're trying to do and why. I'll do some more investigation later and try to figure out how to edit menus directly and where the files are. For some reason, although I have a decent machine, 2.8 Ghz dual core, 64-bit, 4 Gigs of Ram, Cinnamon 17 is dog slow even compared to any other live mode I've tried in the past.

Probably it's the nVidia graphics thing for which I had to edit the startup menu to get through with either "nomodeset" or "nouveau.noaccel=1" or else get a completely black screen on boot and a fubared, non working system. But I though I'd give "mozo" a try and do some looking around. It installed 2 dependencies related to Mate but these didn't seem to impact anything else at all.
dzeller

Post by dzeller »

Here is a screenshot of the main menu

And here is a screenshot of LibreMenu

The submenus will show up in LibreMenu, but not in the main menu... This is the same for mozo and alacarte...
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

I've scanned through the topic and not seen this mentioned, apologies if it has.

Cinnamon has an inbuilt menu editor where you can enable/disable the submenus/menu entries and manually add/remove menu entries. To open this menu editor you need to right click on the menu icon in the panel, select configure, then click on menu editor near the bottom of the window that opens.

I don't know if you will be able to restore the submenus this way, worth trying if you haven't tried it already though.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Are you using LIbreMenu or is it MenuLibre? Forgive me if I'm confused, it must be the heat on the US east coast today. :? Your attached screen shots are very small and it's hard to tell anything from these. :cry:
dzeller

Post by dzeller »

I was only able to upload images that were under 240px high... I'm new to this forum so I'm not quite sure how everything works. But it is LibreMenu.. the title on the GUI is Menu Editor and it's kind of blury, so that's probably why you couldn't tell. And I will try the built-in menu editor when I get a chance. Being a built-in feature, it might be what I'm looking for. I would still like to know what config files control the menus though, just out of curiosity..
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

dzeller wrote:...I would still like to know what config files control the menus though, just out of curiosity..
As a noob, that is still a little over my head at the moment.. Sure others know the answer though :)
dzeller

Post by dzeller »

Well thanks everyone for your contributions, but I finally figured out an embarrassing conclusion... Somehow I accidentally uninstalled gnome-games... The icons for the games still showed up in LibreMenu and alacarte, but when I looked at the built-in menu editor, I found nothing. Wow...
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

dzeller wrote:Well thanks everyone for your contributions, but I finally figured out an embarrassing conclusion... Somehow I accidentally uninstalled gnome-games... The icons for the games still showed up in LibreMenu and alacarte, but when I looked at the built-in menu editor, I found nothing. Wow...
Assuming you've used synaptic or software manager to confirm that gnome-games is, indeed, no longer installed, then.. Even an embarrassing conclusion is better than no conclusion :D

Return to “Cinnamon”