remote desktop (terminal server) with cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
enry52

remote desktop (terminal server) with cinnamon

Post by enry52 »

I have installed Mint17 64bit with cinnamon (all ok with Intel 4600 embedded graphics) on a desktop
PC with I7 cpu.
I use computers mainly for work (debian or centos are preferred distributions) but i have found Mint17 a
very reliable and fine distribution. Personal customization was for example very easy and simple
respect to big work required by debian wheezy with gnome-shell.

Anyway I have a main drawback: remote desktop is not running. (I mean installing a VNCserver or Nomachine3 or
X2Go server in the computer and use a corrispondent client in another computer to access the desktop. I do not refers
here to desktop sharing with vino or other programs for which i have no interest)

I know that cinnamon3d like gnome-shell or unity3d does not run for remote desktop but cinnamon2d gives
in the client computer a black screen with just a moving cursor with all 3 server
programs.

I tried to install gnome-session-flashback in order to use it for remote desktop connection
(as suggested for Ubuntu) but here I obtain a black screen already at login thus it seems
useless

The only way seems to install MATE in parallel with cinnamon in order to use MATE for remote connection.
But this seems to me a strange solution.

Thus my questions are
Why cinnamon2d does not run with vnc, or x2go or NXnomachine3 ? I am wrong or is there a bug ?
Why gnome-session-flashback produces just a black screen at login ? Is it normal ?

Note: without an easy remote desktop connection functionality Mint with cinnamon
can not be considered reliable for a professional usage compared for example
to debian7, Ubuntu or centos6.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
enry52

Re: remote desktop (terminal server) with cinnamon

Post by enry52 »

I have tested another method for remote desktop connection with cinnamon,
by using NX nomachine4 (that is a closed source program). It permits
just to share desktop but in a way that is much better than with the useless "vino" server.

Anyway no one has answered to my questions regarding the fact that all the programs for remote desktop
(vnc servers, NX3, X2go server, etc) does not run with Mint 17 cinnamon while they run fine in other distributions
(Ubuntu through gnome-flashback, Debian through gnome-fallback, centos7 through gnome-classic, and so on....)

gnome-session-flashback produces a blank screen at login (bug in Mint17 ?) and cinnamon2d do the same
when used for remote desktop connection (bug in cinnamon2d ?)
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Fwiw... I have run nomachine with great success across both Linux and Windows PCs. It works just great. In your Firewall you have to allow port 4000 TCP/UDP. That's about all it took to get nomachine running flawlessly.
Tim-int
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tim-int »

Please read http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.ph ... 22#p894322
Try to add packages vnc4server and tightvncserver because xrdp only recommends them but doesn't depend on them. Even with that, I get "Do you want to restart Cinnamon? Cinnamon just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback mode". Other environments work better, so you can use XFCE. Or try this: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1188 - I didn't.

Return to “Cinnamon”