I went to Mint Recoverý, and ended up in Fallback mode. Unfortunately there was no FF desktop icon to shout for help with.
On trying Mint in grub again, I was back at that black screen + cursor, but hit a few keys on the far right of the keyboard, and suddenly I was in Cinnamon, but with differences:
- no custom theme, not even default Cinnamon, but instead a flat grey with no light to dark gradients.
- my custom background image was there
- the cinnamon menu was there with the right colour and slight transparency
- but most desktop, menu and panel icons are different. I wonder if they're Gnome desktop vintage, or Ubuntu, certainly not Mint-X. The desktop launcher icon is a board with a spring under it (springboard, geddit?), the settings icon is two crossed tools. Nemo folder icons are a drab light brown. I changed Settings -> Themes to various options, but nothing changes.
- the highlighter, progress bars etc are dark blue.
I wonder if nVidia might have something to do with this, conflicting with FF. Having got rid of Firebug already, I could go back to nouveau via Driver Manager and see what happens. Is it really that straightfoward or do I need to do other stuff?
One of the other threads "I broke Cinnamon" described how it was fixed by
Code: Select all
apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon
I didn't need to load that damn add-on. Grrrrr!!!
Would you believe it! I can't post inxi, I just discovered the Terminal stays black when I type.
Here are two screenshots of the symptoms Does anyone recognise the vintage of those icons?: