Can't run Gnome-panel in Cinnamon Desktop

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lozanotux

Can't run Gnome-panel in Cinnamon Desktop

Post by lozanotux »

Hi guys,

I decided give it another chance to Cinnamon and Linux Mint... but:

I wish remove ALL PANELS of CINNAMON DESKTOP (not hide panels... REMOVE) and after several tips the panels NOT DISSAPEAR.

gnome-panel is not running because it is executed right now (W T F ?)

how I can remove the panels of Cinnamon and run Gnome-panel???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jahid

Re: Can't run Gnome-panel in Cinnamon Desktop

Post by jahid »

I think that can't be done with the latest cinnamon... not sure though....
lozanotux

Post by lozanotux »

jahid wrote:I think that can't be done with the latest cinnamon... not sure though....
Then Mint and Cinnamon are not so free as claim to be :?
jahid

Post by jahid »

lozanotux wrote: Then Mint and Cinnamon are not so free as claim to be :?
It's not about being free... it's about conflict.... The new cinnamon doesn't allow to run gnome-something in it's session, but some time before you could do that but it made a bad impression. why... because, there was two network-manager, two keyboard settings, two settings with the same name and that was pretty much confusing, when someone installed some gnome packages... But now any gnome-things are totally isolated from cinnamon-session for removing these redundant menu items.
lozanotux

Post by lozanotux »

jahid wrote:
It's not about being free... it's about conflict.... The new cinnamon doesn't allow to run gnome-something in it's session, but some time before you could do that but it made a bad impression. why... because, there was two network-manager, two keyboard settings, two settings with the same name and that was pretty much confusing, when someone installed some gnome packages... But now any gnome-things are totally isolated from cinnamon-session for removing these redundant menu items.
So Cinnamon is worse than Unity ... a support level sucks, if you're like me you comment.
I honestly expected more from Linux Mint, I was disappointed so I went back to Ubuntu.
They are not capable of nothing more than follow the "traditionalist" than good today no longer works.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

lozanotux wrote:
jahid wrote:
So Cinnamon is worse than Unity ... a support level sucks, if you're like me you comment.
I honestly expected more from Linux Mint, I was disappointed so I went back to Ubuntu.
They are not capable of nothing more than follow the "traditionalist" than good today no longer works.
You are running the GNOME panel inside Unity??
Or are you running GNOME on Ubuntu instead of unity?
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
lozanotux

Post by lozanotux »

InkKnife wrote:
lozanotux wrote:
jahid wrote: It's not about being free... it's about conflict.... The new cinnamon doesn't allow to run gnome-something in it's session, but some time before you could do that but it made a bad impression. why... because, there was two network-manager, two keyboard settings, two settings with the same name and that was pretty much confusing, when someone installed some gnome packages... But now any gnome-things are totally isolated from cinnamon-session for removing these redundant menu items.
You are running the GNOME panel inside Unity??
Or are you running GNOME on Ubuntu instead of unity?
I'm using gnome-panel without Unity.
In other words, do not live and let live with Linux Mint ... I feel like I sell smoke with that "From freedom came elegance"
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Sniff, sniff. You can smell them a mile away.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

gnome is always about simplicity i.e it only give a small degree of customization. there are lot aspect in gnome which not customizeable. cinnamon as a derivative of gnome also use this principle. if you want a greater degree of customization you should use KDE, xfce or openbox, not gnome. mint give you cinnamon, mate, kde and xfce version. you're free to choose what the best for you.
lozanotux

Post by lozanotux »

kurotsugi wrote:gnome is always about simplicity i.e it only give a small degree of customization. there are lot aspect in gnome which not customizeable. cinnamon as a derivative of gnome also use this principle. if you want a greater degree of customization you should use KDE, xfce or openbox, not gnome. mint give you cinnamon, mate, kde and xfce version. you're free to choose what the best for you.
Answer nonsense for hand washing. In any environment (including pantheon of elementary OS) I had no problems installing gnome-panel except Cinnamon. Further updates of cinnamon not prove what you say.
Call to Clement please.
kurotsugi

Post by kurotsugi »

Answer nonsense for hand washing. In any environment (including pantheon of elementary OS) I had no problems installing gnome-panel except Cinnamon. Further updates of cinnamon not prove what you say.

you didn't get the point. there are lot of DE and you're free to choose whatever you want. but, you need to remember that every choice have consequences and the consequences of using cinnamon is that you can't install gnome-panel. if you hate cinnamon since you can't install gnome-panel then simply don't use it. uninstall cinnamon and install gnome or anything which allow you to use gnome-panel.

try to understand this analogy. I give you three choice. apple, banana, and orange. freedom means that you're free to pick whatever you want. however, you can't expect to get a mango or a banana with orange taste. it's similar if I give you cinnamon, gnome, and KDE. try to be wise and pick one the best for you.
scryan

Post by scryan »

People who seem almost angry over how well things on Linux work for them blow my mind.

Please, get mad that the thousands of hours a team of programmers spent writing you free computer utilities did not produce something as perfect as you envisioned.
Its open source, so best bet is for you to CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING, and maybe improve it on your own? But you don't know how... so just complain no one is doing it for you.

I agree not everything on Cinnamon is perfect, but a lot of people like it... So I leave it for them and use something I like more.Welcome to GNU linux, a system that only exists because others did decades of free work for you.

Cinnamon is very much a intertwined package, for example it doesn't play well with compiz either. If you want to swap out any competent try one that better supports that like mate, or even better one that is made for it like XFCE
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

You can run Gnome on Mint.
What you cannot do is have both Gnome and Cinnamon installed on the same machine. You could install Gnome on the Mint MATE, XFCE or KDE editions. You simply chose the only desktop that is not compatible with GNOME because Cinnamon is GNOME done differently.
(I know that is simplistic but accurate enough for this discussion).
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Return to “Cinnamon”