Adding Folders to Backgrounds, no picture selection

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
CupidsHelper
Level 3
Level 3

Adding Folders to Backgrounds, no picture selection

Post by CupidsHelper » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:15 pm

Hello. When I add a folder from Pictures, it does not allow selection (clicking on) of any pictures from the added folder. :( The thumbnails do show. This occurred after the update to LM 17.1 Let me know if you need more info. Thanks.
Last edited by CupidsHelper on Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint 18.3 MATE 64-Bit
HP Desk Pavilion p6510f
AMD Radeon HD 7750
AMD Athlon II x4 630 2800MHz
8GB RAM

https://www.youtube.com/user/3ABNVideos

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Adding Folders to Backgrounds, no picture selection

Post by JosephM » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:24 pm

Do you have the bg slideshow enabled? You can't select an individual image in that case. To set a particular image disable the slideshow. If that's not it could you provide a bit more detail on the steps to reproduce your problem?
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

CupidsHelper
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CupidsHelper » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:45 pm

JosephM wrote:Do you have the bg slideshow enabled? You can't select an individual image in that case. To set a particular image disable the slideshow. If that's not it could you provide a bit more detail on the steps to reproduce your problem?
Thanks JosephM, for your response. Yes, I did have the bg slideshow enabled. OK...so I disabled the slideshow, then was able to click on thumbnail of my picture for wallpaper, it worked. Then I re-checked bg slideshow enabled. Slideshow is NOT working. Let me know, if any more details is required. Thank you.
Image Image
HP Desk Pavilion p6510f
AMD Radeon HD 7750
8GB RAM

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:15 pm

The disabling of selecting a bg while the slideshow is running is a design decision. The insensitive nature of the thumbnail view isn't as obvious as I'd like and probably depends somewhat on the GTK theme your using. You'll notice that the coloring of the labels should dim while the slideshow is active. It would probably be nicer if it effected the thumbnails somehow as well.

As for your second issue, I can't reproduce that. Did you try clicking on a different folder and then back to that one to see if maybe it's just some issue with things refreshing? When you enable the slideshow the bg should change within a couple of seconds.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

CupidsHelper
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CupidsHelper » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:39 pm

JosephM wrote:As for your second issue, I can't reproduce that. Did you try clicking on a different folder and then back to that one to see if maybe it's just some issue with things refreshing? When you enable the slideshow the bg should change within a couple of seconds.
OK, so I clicked on the "Rebecca" folder, and this worked as expected for bg slideshow, but when I clicked back to my folder of pictures, stuck...no changing of background and no bg slideshow working. I also tried the "Qiana" folder, this too worked as expected. :?
HP Desk Pavilion p6510f
AMD Radeon HD 7750
8GB RAM

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:52 pm

Could it be that you have spaces in your folder name ? Try renaming the folder to something without spaces or dashes . .

richy

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:47 pm

Not the spaces in the folder names. I just tried using a folder with the exact name the original poster is using and had no issues.

CupidsHelper
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CupidsHelper » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:43 am

richyrich wrote:Could it be that you have spaces in your folder name ? Try renaming the folder to something without spaces or dashes . .

richy
Thanks for the suggestion, Richy. :)
HP Desk Pavilion p6510f
AMD Radeon HD 7750
8GB RAM

CupidsHelper
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CupidsHelper » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:45 am

JosephM wrote:Not the spaces in the folder names. I just tried using a folder with the exact name the original poster is using and had no issues.
I appreciate you testing it out, thanks. :) Any suggestions for using some terminal-fu, to get info about the issue?
HP Desk Pavilion p6510f
AMD Radeon HD 7750
8GB RAM

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:34 am

@CupidsHelper, you could try running "cinnamon-settings backgrounds" from a terminal and see if there are any errors showing up when you play around with the settings. You might also check .xsession-errors and see if anything looks suspicious. Outside of that I'm not too sure because I can't reproduce it here.

CupidsHelper
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CupidsHelper » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:08 pm

JosephM wrote:@CupidsHelper, you could try running "cinnamon-settings backgrounds" from a terminal and see if there are any errors showing up when you play around with the settings.
@JosephM, I hope this helps Image.

I wonder if it could be a "permissions" issue? Image Does anything look out of order?
HP Desk Pavilion p6510f
AMD Radeon HD 7750
8GB RAM

CupidsHelper
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CupidsHelper » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:27 pm

JosephM wrote:You might also check .xsession-errors and see if anything looks suspicious. Outside of that I'm not too sure because I can't reproduce it here.
How do I upload an attachment?
HP Desk Pavilion p6510f
AMD Radeon HD 7750
8GB RAM

Return to “Cinnamon”