<solved> KDE Applications have no icons/symbols in Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rafi
Level 1
Level 1

<solved> KDE Applications have no icons/symbols in Cinnamon

Post by rafi »

Hi,

I'm running a fresh install of Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 2.4.5 64-bit on a system and installed also e.g. okular, kate and kdenlive. None of these applications show any symbols or icons in the tool bars or in the various vertical menus on the left side. Text displays just fine. All the rest of cinnamon and other applications work fine as far as I can tell. Since all affected programs are KDE-applications I figured that's not related to them specifically but to KDE applications in general.

Hence: How do I get KDE applications to display icons in their toolbars under Linux Mint with Cinnamon?

Just to make this a bit more confusing or fun to discuss ;-) I'm running with a high 3200x1800 resolution in case that might have anything to do with it? Though icons are a no-show at normal resolutions too.

Thanks!

And a bugfree 2015...
rafi
Last edited by rafi on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
richyrich

Re: KDE Applications have no icons and symbols in Cinnamon

Post by richyrich »

Please read the part about issues with KDE apps in Cinnamon . .

Release Notes for Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon
rafi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rafi »

Thanks richyrich, I hadn't known about that:
Issues with KDE apps
If you're experiencing issues with KDE apps (Okular, Gwenview, KStars..etc) run the following command:
apt install kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins
Note: These issues do not affect the KDE edition. A regression in KDE 4.14 prevents these applications from working fine out of the box outside of KDE.
Unfortunately though, these three packages are already installed on my system, so that's not it...

Cheers,
rafi
aeldar

Post by aeldar »

You should install oxygen icon pack

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install oxygen-icon-theme*
rafi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rafi »

Fantastic, thank you aeldar, that did the trick!
Solved.
valhalla_dweller

Re: <solved> KDE Applications have no icons/symbols in Cinnamon

Post by valhalla_dweller »

Thanks @aeidar !

I ran

apt install kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins
but that did not solve it.

sudo apt-get install oxygen-icon-theme*
did.

Was really a problem - I used Umbrello to draw the classes of a class diagram. Although the words for the associations etc were visible at the top of the screen, you could not click on them.

Now, thankfully you can, add associations. I get nervous running these kinds of commands in Linux Mint that incorporate elements from other desktops eg KDE, Gnome, that something might get broken, but so far all seems okay. Did not require a system restart, only a restart of Umbrello.
GuyLeclair
Level 1
Level 1

Post by GuyLeclair »

Hi all,

I'm glad for those who solved the issue by installing package oxygen-icon-theme, but the fact is it still doesn't work here... :(

Here is my situation: the issue is present (with Kate, Gwenview...) since I did a fresh install of Mint 18.1 Cinnamon (*). Then I upgraded to 18.2 (no improvement) and recently to 18.3 (still the same issue).

I've checked which packages are already installed on my machine:

adwaita-icon-theme/sylvia,sylvia,now 3.18.0-2ubuntu3mint2 all [installé]
adwaita-icon-theme-full/sylvia,sylvia,now 3.18.0-2ubuntu3mint2 all [installé]
breeze-icon-theme/xenial,now 4:5.18.0-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installé, automatique]
gnome-icon-theme/xenial,xenial,now 3.12.0-1ubuntu3 all [installé]
gnome-icon-theme-symbolic/xenial,xenial,now 3.12.0-1 all [installé]
hicolor-icon-theme/xenial,xenial,now 0.15-0ubuntu1 all [installé]
oxygen-icon-theme/xenial,xenial,now 5:5.18.0-0ubuntu1 all [installé, automatique]
oxygen5-icon-theme/xenial,xenial,now 5.18.0-0ubuntu1 all [installé, automatique]

kdelibs-bin/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 4:4.14.16-0ubuntu3.2 amd64 [installé]
kdelibs5-data/xenial-updates,xenial-updates,xenial-security,xenial-security,now 4:4.14.16-0ubuntu3.2 all [installé]
kdelibs5-plugins/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 4:4.14.16-0ubuntu3.2 amd64 [installé]

All required packages are present...

(*) The funny thing is that I do not face this issue on my other machine (fresh install of Mint 18.2 Cinnamon - not upgraded to 18.3 yet).

Who is responsible for troubleshooting this issue? Mint or KDE team?...
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "GuyLeclair",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Try installing "kde-runtime" and see if that helps...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
CCC999

Post by CCC999 »

On 8.2 ... what worked for me: delete '/home/myusername/.config/kdenliverc' and just restart Kdenlive. It will show the first run welcome screens, but retain your current settings. Found this on an older post.

PS - you may need to try different themes and styles (Settings menu) to view all dialogs correctly.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
This thread is years old and should be allowed its eternal rest. Closing up now. Please do not revive old threads.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Cinnamon”