Dotted Lines when running certain Themes

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrdachshund86

Dotted Lines when running certain Themes

Post by mrdachshund86 »

I'm trying to run the CinnXP theme with Mint 17.2, but when I run the theme, there are now visible dotted lines around text boxes (for example in the Themes window, there are now dotted text boxes around "Icons", "Desktop", "Mouse Pointer", etc.) Another machine running LMDE2 has no issues. I would give a screenshot, but for some reason printscreen isn't working either. :?

Edit: I can get around the printscreen issue by manually running mate-screenshot from terminal. Still don't know why hitting the printscreen button doesn't work.

Code: Select all

System:     Kernel: 3.16.0-39-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) 
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13  Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: U56E version: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends version: U56E.208 date: 07/26/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2430M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9578.8 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 985.031 MHz 2: 801.281 MHz 3: 799.968 MHz 4: 813.937 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-39-generic
Network:   Card-1: Intel Centrino Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150 driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 40:25:c2:73:7f:94
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet driver: atl1c ver: 1.0.1.1-NAPI port: a000 bus-ID: 04:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 54:04:a6:1a:ce:01
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 640.1GB (17.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Hitachi_HTS54756 size: 640.1GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 224G used: 106G (50%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 6.34GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 201 Uptime: 11 min Memory: 852.5/5872.7MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17 
Thanks in advance,

mrdachshund86
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Dotted Lines when running certain Themes

Post by Cosmo. »

Select another theme for Controls.
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

i think those dotted lines appear when you're using a gtk theme thats made for another version of gtk than 17.2 uses
mrdachshund86

Post by mrdachshund86 »

Thanks for the responses!
lurkatron wrote:i think those dotted lines appear when you're using a gtk theme thats made for another version of gtk than 17.2 uses
Is there a PPA for a more up-to-date version of GTK3? Or would that mess up dependents/dependencies and and just create a total mess?

mrdachshund86
URPradhan

Post by URPradhan »

I'm sorry but I hate when someone does not know the answer and suggest to use different theme.
There is no brain required to know that. Please answer if you know the solution.

Even I'm having the same problem with Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64-Bit.
Please see the screenshots of different themes.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I'm sorry but I hate when someone does not know the answer and suggest to use different theme.
There is no brain required to know that. Please answer if you know the solution.
Sorry, but in short, that is the correct answer. The gtk theme dictates when/where/how those focus line indicators show up. If you switch to the Mint-X theme you will notice they are all gone. If you don't want those you either need to find a theme that doesn't have them or edit your current theme to get rid of them.

To be clear you need to be sure you are using the gtk3.10 version of themes. Newer versions will not display correctly. That looks like the case in the screenshots you posted.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If one does not like the appearance of a theme, he does not use it.
If one believes, that the appearance is a kind of bug, he tries to reach the developer of the theme.
URPradhan wrote:There is no brain required to know that.
Heedermann

Post by Heedermann »

I got it fixed.

You have to download and compile the theme form the original website. (this here: https://github.com/petrucci4prez/CinnXP)

Before you compile you have to substitute one word in one file.
In the file _common.scss in the theme-src/gtk-3.0/ directory you have to change the line "outline-style: dashed;" to "outline-style: none;"

After that compile and move them to the right directories.

Or just copy and paste the following commands into your terminal:

# Install Ruby Sass to be able to compile CinnXP Theme

sudo apt-get install ruby-full bundler libxml2-utils
sudo gem install sass
# Download, Compile and Install CinnXP Theme

wget -O master.zip https://github.com/petrucci4prez/CinnXP/archive/master.zip
unzip master.zip
cd CinnXP-master
sed -i 's/dashed/none/g' theme-src/gtk-3.0/_common.scss 
./compile-theme
sudo mv pkg/usr/share/icons/CinnXP/ /usr/share/icons/
sudo mv pkg/usr/share/themes/CinnXP/ /usr/share/themes/
cd ..
rm -r CinnXP-master
rm master.zip
# Change Cursor Theme to CinnXP-cursor for QT-Apps (i.e. KDE-Apps)

mkdir -p ~/.icons
sudo ln -s /usr/share/icons/CinnXP/ ~/.icons/default

Return to “Cinnamon”