We just purchased a new (refurbished) computer for the office to replace the 13-year-old desktop I had brought from home that struggled to even run Puppy Linux. I installed a fresh copy of Linux Mint 17.2 on the new computer and did all of the recommended updates. However, I am experiencing something I don't experience on my laptop running Linux Mint or my home desktop running a different OS (Trisquel) with the Cinnamon DE. Basically, the display locks up, or freezes... I'm not sure which.
I know that the system hasn't fully locked up. If I have music playing in the background, it keeps going, and even moves on to the next track like it's supposed to. The mouse moves, but can't interact with anything. I can CTRL + ALT + F1 and F8 into and out of the DE with no trouble. But everything else is frozen. I can't interact with windows, the menu, buttons, toolbars, nothing. The only way to solve it is a hard reboot.
Over the past few weeks, I've tried to nail down when this happens, and it seems to happen most often or exclusively when I'm browsing Facebook in Firefox. As this doesn't happen on my laptop, which also runs 17.2, I don't know what's different.
I have tried killing Cinnamon, Firefox and MDM when I go to the command line interface, but nothing has a positive effect. I can sometimes kill the right thing to bring me back to the graphical login, but when I log back in, I get a black screen, can no longer get to the command line interface, and have to hard reboot anyway.
While I can handle the other problems with Cinnamon (panel notification icons being the wrong size, the Pidgin tray icon problem still existing all these years later, the non-existent Pithos integration), having to reboot my computer multiple times a day is getting frustrating.
Code: Select all
System: Host: pastor-office Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq 8000 Elite SFF PC Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 3646h Bios: Hewlett-Packard version: 786G7 v01.02 date: 10/22/2009 CPU: Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU E8400 (-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 11969.2 Clock Speeds: 1: 2992.290 MHz 2: 2992.290 MHz Graphics: Card: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: firstname.lastname@example.org GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes Audio: Card: Intel 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-38-generic Network: Card: Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e ver: 2.3.2-k port: 1100 bus-ID: 00:19.0 IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> Drives: HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (3.0% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD2500AAJS size: 250.1GB Partition: ID: / size: 19G used: 5.4G (32%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 3.74GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap RAID: No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 33.0C mobo: N/A Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A Info: Processes: 156 Uptime: 56 min Memory: 802.3/3848.6MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4 Client: Shell (bash 4.3.11) inxi: 1.9.17