"Indicator Support" in Mint 17.3 breaks some applications

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
recluce
Level 1
Level 1

"Indicator Support" in Mint 17.3 breaks some applications

Post by recluce » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:52 am

When Indicator support is turned on (System Settings -> General), which appears to be the default, several applications have issues. This includes Gnome EncFs Manager and its alternative, Cryptkeeper. The encrypted folder list is now displayed in the new notification format, which looks great, but breaks functionality at least for these two programs:

- unavailable folders (i.e. on a removable drive) are now longer grayed out
- the new check-mark boxes have no function whatsoever
- clicking on the folder path directly works, but does not set the check-mark as it should

Turning off Indicator support brings back the old, normal behaviour. It just doesn't look as nice. Cinnamon version is 2.8.6

Anybody noticed similar behaviour for other applications?

Anybody knows a workaround for Cryptkeeper or Gnome EncFs Manager?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: "Indicator Support" in Mint 17.3 breaks some application

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:24 am

This is a known problem with many programs, which use the tray. Until now I only found the update manager working with the new feature. Also removing the try applet erroneously is too easy. Setting indicator support by default to on doesn't seem to be a good choice. But as you found out, the feature can easily get disabled (if you know, that it makes the trouble).

recluce
Level 1
Level 1

Post by recluce » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback. At least they should put this under "known issues", if nothing else.

TeXaCo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TeXaCo » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:04 pm

I posted about this as well here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=211321

Unfortunately no good answers have come up. I am having trouble with Clipgrab and Private internet access as well.

Return to “Cinnamon”