Missing item in Window list (on panel)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
gtmaskall
Level 1
Level 1

Missing item in Window list (on panel)

Post by gtmaskall » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:44 pm

I have recently started finding windows missing from the list on the panel (I believe the component in question is the "Window list" panel applet).
Specifically, when I create a plot in R (opens as a separate window), from a terminal, as well as a "Terminal" item listed on the panel, I should also get an "R Graphics: Device <k> (ACTIVE)" item.
Randomly, in this workspace right now the item has appeared in the window list. I have no idea why; it usually doesn't. In another workspace, I only have the "Terminal" item show (despite there being a plot window in that workspace also).
In all cases, I always still get the graphics (plot) window show up in the "Windows Quick List" applet listing. I also always see the graphics window appear with all other windows using the upper left hot corner (workspace view) and lower left left hot corner (window view for current workspace).
Almost always (except, as noted, for the first time on this workspace now) the plot window is not listed on the panel.

I have this on two systems (both up to date Mint 17.3/Cinnamon).
It sounds like it could be the same as this issue http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... t#p1102096 (which hasn't had either a clear diagnosis or resolution).

(Apologies if I've got any terms incorrect. Hopefully my meaning is clear)

eladhen
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Missing item in Window list (on panel)

Post by eladhen » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:14 pm

I have the exact same problem since upgrading to 17.3 and I can't seem to find any reference to it...

eladhen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eladhen » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:19 pm

I can add that if I open Looking Glass (right click on the panel, choose Troubleshoot and then Looking Glass) and restart the Window List extension, the missing apps reappear.

eladhen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eladhen » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:29 pm

Ok, I just found out a way to solve this. If you go Settings > Applets > Window list > Configure and disable "Show window thumbnail on hover" then the apps that don't appear on the Window list reappear.

So it seems to be a bug with the new thumbnail feature in the window list...

gtmaskall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gtmaskall » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:38 am

@eladhen, yes, that exactly rectifies the issue! Thanks very much for sharing.

eladhen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eladhen » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:37 am

No problem. Still, I hope this gets sorted out, because the thumbnail feature is pretty cool.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:01 pm

I didn't notice the problem myself and would be interested, which programs give the problem.

eladhen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eladhen » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:25 pm

I've first noticed it with libreoffice, but only when opening files from nemo (when I just started libreoffice it would show). This I solved by purging libreoffice and reinstalling. Other than that I have this problem with various programs who have in common using unconventional graphics. It happens with SunVox, a music creation program which was ported to Linux. It happens with the text mode setup for chocolate-doom. There are probably other apps it happens with.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:59 pm

Thank you for the answer.

I tried to reproduce it with a writer document, but cannot confirm. I tried it twice: once without the quickstarter deactivated, once with activated quickstarter. In both cases I get the application button in the window list as expected - with the window thumbnails activated. So there must exist other / additional conditions to get the failure.

Note: My post is not meant to say, that you are wrong. I point out the problem, that in case that a developer should try to reproduce it and gets the same result as I did he will not be able to do anything about it.

eladhen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eladhen » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:03 pm

As I said, purging and reinstalling libreoffice solved the libreoffice problem, which may mean it has something to do with the upgrade to 17.3 changing something with the way libreoffice works with gtk. I noticed that before the purge and reinstall I had the ugly libreoffice file menus when saving/loading files, and after reinstalling libreoffice started to use gtk file menus. This makes me suspect the bug has something to do with the way the thumbnail generator interacts with non-gtk graphics. Of course, I'm no programmer. These are just my user-hunches.

The problems with other programs persist if the thumbnail feature in the window list applet is enabled.

eladhen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eladhen » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:59 pm

You can add to the bug report here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/4986

Return to “Cinnamon”