Cinnamon Mint crashes, in need of some help.

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Anon12
Level 1
Level 1

Cinnamon Mint crashes, in need of some help.

Post by Anon12 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:36 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new here, delighted to make your acquaintance.

So, I've been encountering some problems with my desktop Mint since I first installed it ( which was I think last year ). What happens is that after some time has passed after the computer's been on, it suddenly crashes and I cannot control my mouse or keyboard at all.I tried entering tty1 mode or alt-f2 & r but none of these worked. After like 5 or 6 seconds after the crash occurs, it reboots the system.
(e.g if I'm watching a Youtube video and the crash occurs, the sound keeps playing again and again until the computer restarts.)

Even though I've not searched that much for a solution in the forums here, I did try search in multiple places to find a solution to this problem but I just couldn't find an answer that could help me.

Excuse me if I didn't provide much info on the case, as I'm kind of a newbie and I don't have that much experience on troubleshooting these things or anything like that.If I can provide you with some more info that will help you understand something better, I'll be more than happy to do so!

thank you!

cptX
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cinnamon Mint crashes, in need of some help.

Post by cptX » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:39 am

Hi my friend, can you please read this post and tell us if the problem looks similar?
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=214744

Can you also try the REISUO trick when your computer hangs and tell us if it has an effect?

Anon12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Anon12 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Hello!

I checked your thread and it seems that the problem I'm encountering is very similar to yours.I was also running windows XP with cinnamon LMDE (dual-boot) and the XP didn't have any problems at all, although I erased it from the hard drive when I was messing with the partitions( not that that's a bad thing but you get me, I might have blown something ).

Last night, the thing happened again and this time it was kind of different because it kept making a beeping noise from the inside of the computer until it restarted.It seemed pretty overheated / at its limits to me.
So if I had to take a guess, then that would be either CPU overheat issues or something that has to do with the motherboard / drivers not supported after an update, as you mentioned as well.I also updated the system through the terminal so this could be what caused the problem possibly.As for the REISUO trick you mentioned, I've looked it up and I'll try it next time it hangs on me so I can tell you if it has any effect or not.

Well, either ways, I'll keep trying to see of I can find any solution online.. If you find anything keep me updated, I will be more than glad if you do so!

Thanks for the reply!

Update: I've had another crash and tried to do REISUO but it didn't work..

cptX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cptX » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:02 pm

Hi again,
I believe my problems come from the ram and I'm investigating towards this direction. Please remember if you changed the ram recently (added new ram or changed the configuration in the bios).

The fact that the REISUO didn't worked means the hw and the kernel hanged completely!

Please, when you work on your pc keep some tools running (like sensors, top, temperature monitoring) to see at the moment of hang what were these parameters. For me all these looked normal!

Return to “Cinnamon”