Background changed itself

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Apache

Background changed itself

Post by Apache »

This a serious, but a very LOL-Problem!

I just worked on my computer... wanted to "./configure" a wine-programm into the homefolder. (For some reason)
My background is normally a picture from Claude Monet.
As I was working, I suddenly noticed that the background changed into a naked woman :lol: a photo which I have on my hard drive indeed. :oops:
Sorry, but this is no joke! And I am actually fine with that, if I would not give presentations (projecting onto the wall) with this computer!!!!
What if it happens during a presentation? How embarrassing would it be?
With every OS I noticed that if you load a photo with a picture-viewer and you close this picture-viewer, the photo is still load in the RAM. And for some reason sometimes, (I think often when I turned the computer off), the photo, that was loaded in the picture viewer, was shown maybe for half a second or something. I never experienced an OS not having this problem. However, that's OK, 'cause I will not load naked-woman-pictures before a presentation. But today I did not change my background once, nor did I load that picture that itself was loaded into the background.

Having Linux Mint 17.3, there is this background menu, where you can add your private folders. Ofcourse, I now have culled every suspicous picture into another folder now, which is not loaded into the background-folder option. So I hope, these pictures not being connected with the backgroundmenu anymore, they wwill not be loaded without my permission.
Can this actually help?

But how did this happen, and how can I prevent that? Can anyone else report about this? I dont wanna have ridiculous presentations, you know! :lol:
Perhaps it really was this configure-script of wine... but why? would someone do this on purpose? Maybe it was a fun-virus of a friend of mine, but, one week ago, he was just 5 minutes on my computer... is it possible to do these fun-things so fast?
It's of course my fault having this photos; but I ignored many bugs because, even if there are 10000000 Things that are still buggy, it's still 1000000000000 times better than windows. (my opinion... someday computers will work like I want them to, but todays problem represents really what I think about them: They joke around with you :) )

So if anyone can help me preventing this problem, please do so!
I am thinking about (but I have no clue if possible), to make it only for the root possible to change backgrounds... or something like that, anything would be fine,
thank you very much!
enjoy your day,

Apache
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Background changed itself

Post by Cosmo. »

There is a slide show option in the wallpaper settings of Cinnamon. It sounds, as if you have enabled this.
Apache

Post by Apache »

Thank you for your advise,
but this was not the problem.
Now I just forgot about the problem, installed something, and now it occured a second time with the same picture :evil:
I mean I unlikely will not install programs while presentations. But why did it happen again?
Apache

Post by Apache »

While changing to a virtual CD with CDEmu the background changed itself again. Would it be an other photo, that would be not so much trouble...
LinuxJim

Post by LinuxJim »

You don't say what desktop environment you're using, but in KDE you can set a different background image for each workspace. Is it possible that you're switching workspaces when this happens?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

LinuxJim wrote:You don't say what desktop environment you're using,
Do you expect on the Cinnamon board anything else?
badbodh
Level 2
Level 2

Post by badbodh »

cinnamon's background is set by dconf. unless you ran a gsettings or dconf command there is no reason for the wallpaper to change by itself. check the configure file in your wine's tarball. Speaking of which, wine is available in repos , why install from source ?

you better convince us because this whole story is total falsehood. Stop wasting our time.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux proves it.
wrynn

Post by wrynn »

badbodh wrote:cinnamon's background is set by dconf. unless you ran a gsettings or dconf command there is no reason for the wallpaper to change by itself. check the configure file in your wine's tarball. Speaking of which, wine is available in repos , why install from source ?
I read this thread a couple of weeks ago as I found myself in a similar situation, when I switched to Linux.
I did build avidmux myself. Why Apache build wine himself/herself I don't know, for me it was more a rite of passage being new to Linux, trying to understand how stuff works, taking advantage of an OS that actually lets you look behind the curtains.
you better convince us because this whole story is total falsehood. Stop wasting our time.
This attidute, may it be in jest, is off-putting to new users, as this forum is the place we are send to, to learn how Mint works. There is a better way to say I don't know how to help further. Using Rosa and cinnamon myself, I encountered this Bug 3 times. First weeks ago, when I found this thread and your snappy reply. And twice today. Each time I added a custom keyboard Shortcut, the Background changed to a Background I used previously.
I am NOT able to reproduce it, since it changes to a harmless picture in my case it does not bother me as much as it does Apache.
I am just here to verify, he/she did not made things up to waste your time. :x
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I think it may be a bug in LM18 Cinnamon. I am having a similar problem off and on with the backround not staying persistent. Today it seemed to happened when I opened up the file system but I can not be entirely sure. I had couple of full screen windows open which when I opened them my Dora the Explorer background was just fine. After opening the file system and closing the other windows Dora was gone. I was also missing my background a week or so ago when I did a restart but then mysteriously that stopped.

It is annoying but not a big deal as everything else seems to work OK.
Odyseus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Odyseus »

Hello, everybody.

This seems to be a known issue since more than a year now. There is an open issue on Cinnamon's GitHub repository with several reports, but the trigger seems to be very random. If anybody has discovered a way to trigger this behaviour in an specific way, you should report it ASAP there, so developers can fix it.

It happened to me hundred of times, but I was always doing something different when I realized that the background changed itself.
Taur10
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Taur10 »

Apache wrote:Thank you for your advise,
but this was not the problem.
Now I just forgot about the problem, installed something, and now it occured a second time with the same picture :evil:
I mean I unlikely will not install programs while presentations. But why did it happen again?
I've had something similar happen here when installing software. In my case, twice all my icons have changed, and my background gone to default, despite the settings not changing. A reboot fixes it, but still...
Seph
I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
astrojohn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by astrojohn »

It's happened to me several times when I open/close an archive file - that seems to be my trigger.

I've also noticed odd behavior with Nemo - can't pinpoint it right now but when it happens again, I'll repost,

John
copecu

Post by copecu »

Hi,

I'm on v. 18 with Cinnamon. The default file browser is Nemo, but if I launch Nautilus this behaviour occurs. In my case always the same background. Also it produces a superposition of icons. Some apps opens Nautilus instead of Nemo when they want to load something and it changes the desktop background. This is what I observed in my system, also in 17.3.

Greetings.

EDIT: Indications in this post solves my problem: HOWTO: Launch Nemo when apps ask for Nautilus.
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

This happened to me once as well. I believe it happened after a VirtualBox crash and it reset background to default image. Never happened since.
yamaharacer 2015
Level 1
Level 1

Post by yamaharacer 2015 »

holy thread revival :D
this was happening to me but I just realized i was moving my folders around to other drives while setting up my new system. if you do this it will change to one of the original desktop backgrounds. at least for me it did. maybe it goes back to the previous background
fbr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fbr »

I have had the same problem for a long time.

Every time I install a program desktop background changes back to default uniform ugly black from my preferred uniform nice grey.

Is it really so that a solution has still not been found, or have I missed it? It is pretty annoying.

I am using Mate 18.3
powerwagon75
Level 4
Level 4

Post by powerwagon75 »

Odyseus wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:27 pm ..... If anybody has discovered a way to trigger this behaviour in an specific way, you should report it ASAP there, so developers can fix it.....
Added mine to the list.

Well, reading through the responses, it appears there may be a couple of different things that cause it. On my main machine with Mint 18.0, I had noticed that randomly, my desktop background would switch from my selected image, to the default Mint Logo image you get immediately after install, when I would double click a file (such as a .conf or text file) to view its contents. This was using the default editor that came with Mint 18 (xed). I’ve since switched my default editor to gedit and have not had any further issues.
Custom Antec Outside tower w/Mint 20.2
HP lap w/Mint 20.3
Optiplex 960 "Frankenbox" w/Fedora 39/Mint 19.2/Mint 20.2
Advantech TPC-1551T w/LinuxLite
Acer C720 Chromebook w/GalliumOS
Mac PPC G4 w/Lubuntu

Return to “Cinnamon”