cinnamon-settings-daemon fixed many issues

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
PcMojo
Level 1
Level 1

cinnamon-settings-daemon fixed many issues

Post by PcMojo » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:07 pm

I am currently using 17.3 with Cinnamon and have not done a fresh install since 17, and that could be where many of my problems began. It seems the more I upgraded, the more issues I had with Cinnamon. At first it was just basic theme–related visual issues, but graduated into inoperable keyboard shortcuts (custom & default), keyboard button recognition (xf86Calc & others), and even system settings no longer working – Display did not detect displays and clicking on Power Management did not open the Pwr Mgmt settings window. It was this last issue that I started investigating and found the solution. I double clicked on cinnamon-settings-daemon and everything started working again, but the changes were lost on reboot. After checking sys.log I found it was failing to start in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/cinnamon-settings-daemon/ because there was no file called cinnamon-settings-daemon and no directory called /cinnamon-settings-daemon/ within /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/. So I just copied & pasted /cinnamon-settings-daemon/cinnamon-settings-daemon from /usr/lib/ and rebooted. Everything works fine!

I wanted to post this to let others experiencing the same issue know and to alert developers that cinnamon-settings-daemon might be getting installed in the wrong directory or is being called in the wrong directory at startup. Also, if you think my fix might be incorrect or harmful in some way, I would appreciate your comments.
Mint 17.3 with Cinnamon on a Dell D620 laptop.

You are free the instant you want to be!

Return to “Cinnamon”