Why do some characters appear as a rectangle with numbers and letters inside?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
tyebillion
Level 2
Level 2

Why do some characters appear as a rectangle with numbers and letters inside?

Post by tyebillion » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:41 pm

Why do some characters appear on the screen as a rectangle with numbers and letters inside? For example "01F 437". I've seen this happening in Firefox and gedit. I tried to paste an example here, but the forum reported "your message contains the following unsupported characters". Can I install these special characters (or whatever they are)?
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit (version 3.6.7)
Intel Core i7-4790
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 16Gb

cholq
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Why do some characters appear as a rectangle with numbers and letters inside?

Post by cholq » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:45 pm

Are you trying to view text in a language other than your systems default language?

For me, I installed using English as my default language, and it installed the English UTF-8 characterset. This includes the English letter A, as well as the versions of the letter that are used in the other latin-based languages (such as Á or À).

So, if I am trying to read something in a different language, and it has a character encoded in a what that the English UTF-8 character set can't interpret, I think that is where I would see the strange rectangles like the ones you described.

I'm not sure which desktop you are using, but if you go into either settings or preferences, you should have a menu option for Language Settings. There you will see which character sets you have installed and options to add additional character sets.

tyebillion
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Why do some characters appear as a rectangle with numbers and letters inside?

Post by tyebillion » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:02 pm

These rectangles appear on some email subject lines in gmail. I think it is where people are trying to add icons to the message.
Intel Core i7-4790

cholq
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cholq » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:28 pm

According to this:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/11/see- ... untu-linux

You can try to install ttf-ancient-fonts. I see it in synaptic.

tyebillion
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Why do some characters appear as a rectangle with numbers and letters inside? (solved)

Post by tyebillion » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:44 pm

I installed ttf-ancient-fonts and now these icons (emojis, or whatever you call them, at least some of them) are showing in my Firefox browser. Thanks cholq.
Intel Core i7-4790

Return to “Cinnamon”