Cinnamon 3.0

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
baldrick.777
Level 4
Level 4

Cinnamon 3.0

Post by baldrick.777 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:01 am

So now that Cinnamon 3.0 has been officially released (http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2016/04/c ... -released/), does anyone know how to easily upgrade for 17.3?

Thanks in advance...
Newbies, check this out first...
Amateur Photographer - Landscapes mainly. Check my profile & gallery HERE.
Using only FOSS - Gimp AppImage | Darktable | Raw Therapee | Gimp | LuminanceHDR, and others.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Cinnamon 3.0

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:38 am

Wait for an announcement, if and how this will be doable in LM 17.x. Also note, that the first available packages will be most likely in beta state.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:59 am

Just to clarify, there really is no "beta" for Cinnamon. Cinnamon development is a constant process and a good number of users run the nightly builds and provide feedback as we go. Cinnamon 3.0 already seems to be available in some distros. Once it starts getting rolled out to the wider user base we get more feedback and a number of small point releases end up getting released to fix various issues.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

baldrick.777
Level 4
Level 4

Post by baldrick.777 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:09 am

JosephM wrote:Just to clarify, there really is no "beta" for Cinnamon. Cinnamon development is a constant process and a good number of users run the nightly builds and provide feedback as we go. Cinnamon 3.0 already seems to be available in some distros. Once it starts getting rolled out to the wider user base we get more feedback and a number of small point releases end up getting released to fix various issues.
Yes, I notice there is a ppa for Ubuntu 14.04, which is what 17.3 is based on. Wasn't keen to try that though.

Thanks for your answer though because it seemed just a bit weird that LM didn't release their own product ahead of everyone else. Now it makes sense, more scope for testing.
Newbies, check this out first...
Amateur Photographer - Landscapes mainly. Check my profile & gallery HERE.
Using only FOSS - Gimp AppImage | Darktable | Raw Therapee | Gimp | LuminanceHDR, and others.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:19 am

Also keep in mind with Mint18 and a whole new package base coming this is the one time every two years we can break backward compatibility if we need to. For example, if we have a new feature to add that requires the use of newer libraries that aren't available on Mint 17 this is the best time for us to do it. It's been done before. I think it was the jump from mint16 to mint17. In order to support HiDpi in Cinnamon we had to require a minimum of gtk3.10 so the version of cinnamon released at that time wasn't compatible with older versions of Linux Mint.

I'm not sure that's the case this time around but I don't think there is any guarantee Cinnamon 3.0 will be available for Mint 17.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:40 am

Installing cinnamon 3.0 may be fairly easy. However, since it's unsupported, keeping it running is another matter.

I won't install app software via ppa or tarball (which is what you'd be doing) unless I need something it does. There's just no frakking way I'm going to do it for a desktop.

If you want the newest version of everything install a rolling release distro, but be warned that they are not for beginners, and their support forums don't hold beginner hands.

killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:58 am

According to Clem, Cinnamon 3.0 will not be ported to LM17.x.
But this version is compatible with LM17.3 so you can find a ppa or compile it.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.

Return to “Cinnamon”