Erratic Behavior after restarting Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Gameranand
Level 1
Level 1

Erratic Behavior after restarting Cinnamon

Post by Gameranand » Tue May 10, 2016 2:12 am

Linux Version - Linux Mint LMDE2 Cinnamon Edition 64bit (Fully update to date)
Hardware - Acer E5-511 series laptop
I was using OS and it got slow so I thought about restarting cinnamon and executed "cinnamon --replace". After that cinnamon did restart and it showed in terminal but there were some erratic behavior. Some of the icons in the taskbar changed their icon and when I right click them white color is there in menu backgroud instead of Light black like it used to. I restarted my PC but still same issue, I even tried restarting cinnamon again but same problem. It is not changing anything except these icons of Bluetooth, Telegram, Redshift and Steam which I use very very frequently.

http://i.imgur.com/8121JYp.png - How it should look

http://i.imgur.com/hEUyX15.png - How its behaving
In War, Victory. In Peace Vigilance. In Death Sacrifice.

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Erratic Behavior after restarting Cinnamon

Post by JosephM » Tue May 10, 2016 3:38 am

Your opening menus for two different things in your screenshots. The first with the Cinnamon style menu is the sound applet. The second looks like you are clicking on the Steam system tray icon. Those system tray icons supply there own gtk based menu. That is why they don't look like the other menu. The sound applet is themed by your Cinnamon theme while gtk menus are themed by the Controls theme.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Gameranand
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gameranand » Tue May 10, 2016 4:13 am

JosephM wrote:Your opening menus for two different things in your screenshots. The first with the Cinnamon style menu is the sound applet. The second looks like you are clicking on the Steam system tray icon. Those system tray icons supply there own gtk based menu. That is why they don't look like the other menu. The sound applet is themed by your Cinnamon theme while gtk menus are themed by the Controls theme.
But they used to work like Audio one before. The problem started after I restarted cinnamon using the command I mentioned in post.
cinnamon --replace

JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM » Tue May 10, 2016 4:42 am

You could try going to System Settings->General and tuning on "Enable support for indicators". This will require you to restart cinnamon again. Then system tray icons that have indicator support will use the cinnamon menus.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Gameranand
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gameranand » Wed May 11, 2016 12:50 pm

JosephM wrote:You could try going to System Settings->General and tuning on "Enable support for indicators". This will require you to restart cinnamon again. Then system tray icons that have indicator support will use the cinnamon menus.
Thanks a lot. I don't know what helped actually. I enabled this feature but there were no immediate changes. I changed all themes to gnome, restarted the PC and then reverted back everything and it worked. I think this did the trick though because I did enabled it, but somehow it didn't showed immediate effect and only showed then I changed the theme and then reverted it back to Mint X. This is a bug which need to be fixed.

Return to “Cinnamon”