Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
gimzo
Level 1
Level 1

Applications Not Showing or Opening

Post by gimzo »

Hello,

When I try to open an application, nothing happens. No windows appear on my desktop. I can still see the panel. Clicking the menu button opens the menu. Also, I cannot see any icons on my desktop. I have created a new user account and logged in. The desktop appears as it should. Everything is normal under the new account. Can anyone help me to fix this problem?

Many thanks.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Applications Not Showing or Opening

Post by Cosmo. »

You have probably a permission problem.

Log out of your account
Press ctrl-alt-F1
Login as your user (main account); note, that you do not get any visual feedback, when you enter the password, type it blindly and press the Enter-key
Now logged in enter this command exactly as given:

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME
Capitalization must be used as shown!

Press ctrl-d
Press ctrl-alt-F7 or ctrl-alt-F8 t get back to the graphical environment.

gimzo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gimzo »

Thanks for the reply, Cosmo.

Sadly, that did not work. Well, not completely. I can now open some applications. However, not others. The applications that do open appear with a messed up theme. This makes me think my problem may lie in a faulty theme configuration. Is there a way to reset or change the current theme?

Thanks again for your help, so far.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

At first we have to note, that there were permission problems.
So we will do another check for this:
Mark the following command and press ctrl-c

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f
open a terminal and press ctrl-shift-V
Mark the complete result inclusive the command with the mouse and press ctrl-shift-C
In the forum click the Code-button above the text box, than press ctrl-v.

Report in case, that there is no output.

For reverting the themes (there are several): Right click the panel on an empty place and select themes:
For the most themes the default is Mint-X, for the desktop: Linux Mint. Set them all to the defaults. To be sure, that nothing is retained in memory, log and back into your account.

gimzo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gimzo »

Cosmo,

Sadly, I can't access the terminal from within Cinnamon. It pops up, but, I can't type in it. Selecting Themes from the panel menu results in the window not showing. I tried selecting the set defaults option from the troubleshooting menu. It did nothing to resolve my issue. I logged out and then back in.

Thanks.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

find $HOME ! -user $USER -type f | pastebin
Copy the result.
Return to the graphical session with Ctrl+Alt+F8 (or Ctrl+Alt+F7) and post the result here.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

As you suspect a faulty theme configuration, do a reset of all Cinnamon configurations: Right click the panel on an empty place -> trouble shooting -> reset all.

wmh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wmh »

Yesterday I executed apt-get update / upgrade through terminal on 17.3 x64 to get cinnamon 3.0 and got exactly the same issues you have got.

Can't right click on desktop because no options will show up. No icons on taskbar (totally blank), not even clock, network, sound. Icon applications on desktop seems to open but their windows are all invisible.

Graphical environment is messed up. Can't see terminal window to type commands, browser's to reply here, nothing.
Mint 17.3 64bits - Cinnamon 2.8.8 - AMD R9 270

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

wmh wrote:Yesterday I executed apt-get update / upgrade through terminal
This does always cry for possible regressions. Out of this reason you should only use the update manager with the default settings, except you know how to resolve from a regression.

gimzo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gimzo »

I executed the command outlined above. There was no output.

Thanks

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

For finding the most practical way for further steps it would be helpful to know, which applications are usable. Especially for the file manager this is a helpful information.

wmh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wmh »

Yes! I messed the Xserver completely by doing this trying to get cinnamon 3.0 into Mint 17.3 x64 on a AMD R9 270. I'm a newbie. :mrgreen:

I used the commands from here: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=91448?f=109&t=91448 and here: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=208442&p=1087616&h ... x#p1087098 to fix. I did like this:

mount -o remount,rw /
apt purge fglrx-*
apt-get remove --purge cinnamon*
apt-get install cinnamon
apt-get install mint-meta-cinnamon
apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
reboot
Root shell recovery mode again, removed any xorg.conf files in /etc/X11/ directory using "rm" command, one by one.

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.broken
apt purge nvidia-*
update-initramfs -u
reboot
After reboot I got a black screen. Hard-reboot and did this:

Pressed "e" in Grub and found the line starting with "linux" that ends with "$vt_handoff" and inserted nomodeset after it followed by space before and after and pressed F10. Got into software rendering mode gui. In software rendering mode I chose fglrx in driver manager windows and reboot again and got back into Linux Mint at last!

I don't know exactly what fixed it bug glad it was. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
Cosmo. wrote:
wmh wrote:Yesterday I executed apt-get update / upgrade through terminal
This does always cry for possible regressions. Out of this reason you should only use the update manager with the default settings, except you know how to resolve from a regression.

wmh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wmh »

I somehow got into XFCE mode. :shock: How do I go back to Cinnamon? :o

http://i.imgur.com/Bfh092Q.png

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

this looks like a Xfce-installation with strangely a Cinnamon-version reported. I have no idea, how "somehow" you reached that.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

The usual way of switching to a different Desktop, if you have more than one installed, is to make the change on the log-in screen.
(The little gear icon.)
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

wmh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wmh »

I got this by using sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade on terminal in a 17.3 64bits Cinnamon 2.8.8 AMD r9 270 gpu trying to upgrade to Cinnamon 3.0.

Actually It is a Linux Mint 17.2 x64 Cinnamon DVD version upgraded to 17.3 through Update Manager. Somehow, while I was trying to fix the Cinnamon 3.0 upgrade mess, I got another Desktop Environment. Is there a way to go back?

Messed up the desktop and did the commands above to try to repair it. Now I'm on this XFCE version and Cinnamon crashed into Fallback Mode. :lol: :mrgreen:
Cosmo. wrote:this looks like a Xfce-installation with strangely a Cinnamon-version reported. I have no idea, how "somehow" you reached that.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

It is not possible to tell exactly what has gone wrong. As Cosmo said, it is not a good practice to run sudo apt-get upgrade. Upgrading should be done using the Update Manager.
You can re-install Cinnamon, using the same partitions as you are now, without formatting any partitions. That will preserve most of your configuration, except any PPA's you have.
Linux Linx 2018

wmh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wmh »

That's a lesson I learned the hard way. :oops: :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help. I'll reinstall and see what happens.
austin.texas wrote:It is not possible to tell exactly what has gone wrong. As Cosmo said, it is not a good practice to run sudo apt-get upgrade. Upgrading should be done using the Update Manager.
You can re-install Cinnamon, using the same partitions as you are now, without formatting any partitions. That will preserve most of your configuration, except any PPA's you have.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

wmh wrote:I got this by using sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade on terminal in a 17.3 64bits Cinnamon 2.8.8 AMD r9 270 gpu trying to upgrade to Cinnamon 3.0.
Not even this explains, how a Xfce desktop can come into that system. Both commands to update packages, they do not install quite new packages.

wmh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wmh »

I did these in root shell recovery mode in the meantime trying to fix what went wrong. :mrgreen: I don't know how a XFCE got here too. Never installed it. :lol:

mount -o remount,rw /
apt purge fglrx-*
apt-get remove --purge cinnamon*
apt-get install cinnamon
apt-get install mint-meta-cinnamon
apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
reboot

Root shell recovery mode again, removed any xorg.conf files in /etc/X11/ directory using "rm" command, one by one.

rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.broken
apt purge nvidia-*
update-initramfs -u
reboot
Cosmo. wrote:
wmh wrote:I got this by using sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade on terminal in a 17.3 64bits Cinnamon 2.8.8 AMD r9 270 gpu trying to upgrade to Cinnamon 3.0.
Not even this explains, how a Xfce desktop can come into that system. Both commands to update packages, they do not install quite new packages.

Return to “Cinnamon”