Unity engine game makes window decorations disappear.

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
draconicrose
Level 1
Level 1

Unity engine game makes window decorations disappear.

Post by draconicrose » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:16 am

Hello. I've recently come across a problem with the Unity game Rimworld. Most of the times I start the game it causes my window decorations to disappear and cinnamon to start having regular crashes where it goes into fallback mode. I have no idea where to start looking for the problem so I'd like some help diagnosing it. It's maybe worth mentioning that other games such as Prison Architect don't cause this issue and even Rimworld only started a few weeks back.

I've tried googling for it but I haven't found anyone else having the same problem which is odd to me.

Screenshots:
http://imgur.com/a/FKwus

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Unity engine game makes window decorations disappear.

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:10 am

I don't know the program, so I don't know, why you call it a "Unity game"?

draconicrose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by draconicrose » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:23 am

Because it's made with the Unity engine. The game engine, not the Ubuntu DM.

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:58 pm

From what I can tell it's a beta release of the game engine installed from a .deb file. If there's a stable version on their site for linux it ain't obvious. I don't see signs of a massive Ubuntu user base for it unfortunately. But you should find your system/hardware details to make sure the setup is OK.

Copy/paste this into the terminal:

inxi -Fxz

and copy/paste the text output from that here.

draconicrose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by draconicrose » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:05 pm

Thank you for your reply. The output is here: http://pastebin.com/VuE4cXrg. I realize that the game is a beta version, but I've been playing it for about a month and the issue only started about two weeks ago. It doesn't ALWAYS cause the window borders to disappear either, just most of the time. This leads me to believe that the problem might not be with the game, specifically.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:47 pm

Is the problem reproducible with a stable (older) version of the program?
As this is a beta build I expect, that there is any place, where problems with the beta version can reported.

draconicrose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by draconicrose » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:49 pm

I have no idea. I don't think the game has any stable releases as it's not a fully released game yet. The current version is dubbed Alpha 13. I would report it if I knew what I was reporting. At this point I think cinnamon devs would tell me to report to the game dev and the game dev would tell me to report to the cinnamon devs.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:53 pm

So, an Alpha?

Beta versions are expected to have bugs. An Alpha version is a pre-beta version.

The other question is, if you encounter this problem with other programs. Reading between the line it doesn't seem so.

Both leads into the same direction for the likely cause.

draconicrose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by draconicrose » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:04 am

Is there any way that I can maybe get a hint about what's causing the error? Does cinnamon have logs for this sort of thing? It would be more useful if I could present that information to the developer.

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:09 pm

As mentioned, alpha/beta releases have a way of breaking after an update. Which is why I don't use them. If they had a stable Linux release ... which, as you noted, they don't ... I'd recommend that version.

The Unity engine site also clearly states that they only support Ubuntu releases, and they won't care a bit if it's a Ubuntu based distro. They're not exactly based on Ubuntu.

draconicrose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by draconicrose » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:20 pm

What I think is very weird is that the problem started weeks after I started playing and the game is still the same (I started playing after Alpha 13 was launched so my game has never been updated). At first there were absolutely no issues and like I said sometimes the game launches without causing any problems. Maybe it's worth mentioning that the issue remains after the game's been shut down and that restarting cinnamon gets me the window decorations back.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:51 pm

draconicrose wrote:Maybe it's worth mentioning that the issue remains after the game's been shut down and that restarting cinnamon gets me the window decorations back.
Most likely the game does change anything in the RAM, which persists, even if the game is closed. But it is obvious, that the game does the change. Probably a memory leak.

draconicrose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by draconicrose » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:54 pm

Alright I'll definitely contact the devs then. Thanks for your time everyone.

Return to “Cinnamon”