adding another player to Sound Setting

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tacoz

adding another player to Sound Setting

Post by tacoz »

While Banshee is the player that I see in the Sound/Volume app...
How do I go about adding whatever other music player I've installed, there as well?
I can't seem to find it via dconf (where I would've made a whitelist change when I used Xfce)
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: adding another player to Sound Setting

Post by rene »

The Sound Settings -> Applications tab is a realtime display of applications currently using the sound system. Other applications will hence be "added" only once you start them...
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The sound applet does not support all programs, e.g. Totem is not supported. There is nothing you can do about.
tacoz

Post by tacoz »

rene wrote:Other applications will hence be "added" only once you start them...
Umm... that's not true--at least with the few players I tried--otherwise I wouldn't have had to ask...
So I'm more inclined to concede with @Cosmo's explanation

A small bummer, but hey...
a big thanks!
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Certainly it is in fact true for said Sound Settings -> Applications tab. Rereading, I would however agree that it would have made more sense if I had assumed you meant the "Launch Player" submenu of the sound applet.

Yes, to that are added only some applications and only in automatic manner; I believe the discriminator in this is so-called MPRIS2 support on part of the player.

[EDIT] MPRIS2 via D-BUS: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2015/09/c ... ent-314609.
tacoz

Post by tacoz »

@rene
Yeah I had seen that deadbeef was listed as a supported player on Cinnamon 3.0.5
but it doesn't show up on the sound app (hence the post question)
It would seem then that the mpris plugin hasn't been compiled yet
I thought using a desklet might be a workaround but there's only one, Soundbox, and it's faulty on Sarah
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Untested on 18 but just now tested on 17.3:

1) grab http://sourceforge.net/projects/deadbee ... b/download and install; sudo dpkg -i deadbeef-static_0.7.2-2_amd64.deb.

The .deb installs deadbeef in /opt/deadbeef. Clearly adjust the following to fit if you elect to build deadbeef yourself and install it elsewhere (or if deadbeef is available in the repository for 18; it's not for 17.3).

2) grab https://github.com/Serranya/deadbeef-mp ... 1.8.tar.xz

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential libglib2.0-dev
$ tar xvf deadbeef-mpris2-plugin-1.8.tar.xz
$ cd deadbeef-mpris-plugin-1.8
$ CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/deadbeef/include ./configure --prefix=/opt/deadbeef
$ make
$ sudo make install
I can't be completely sure if indeed build-essential and libglib2.0-dev is all you need on a fresh system; I might have missed dependencies that were here already installed but I suppose you will be able to figure it out. After this, deadbeef showed up on my 17.3 / Cinnamon 2.8.8 sound applet player selection.
tacoz

Post by tacoz »

rene wrote:Untested on 18 but just now tested on 17.3...
Awesome!
Looks interesting and will try to get to this on the weekend!

Return to “Cinnamon”