[SOLVED] Mint 18 - 64bit - Cinnamon - Black Screen on login

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Aptus
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 18 - 64bit - Cinnamon - Black Screen on login

Post by Aptus » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:33 pm

All right, seems the black screen issue is still ongoing. Just ran into that one again so sadly it was not connected to the other issue.

EDIT: Just gonna try a fresh reinstall, don't have anything important on the computer yet anyways.

EDIT2: All right, just did a completely fresh reinstall and on the very first boot the black screen issue occured. This is very odd since I had no such issues with 17.3, I think I might just have to revert to that version.

EDIT3: Ran into the resetting wallpaper again even though on this install I had done literally nothing (running the find command from earlier had no output now either so no idea why it was resetting this time). Decided to revert to 17.3 for now. Marking this as solved again so noone wastes their time on it :)

eric71
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Mint 18 - 64bit - Cinnamon - Black Screen on login

Post by eric71 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:43 am

I can also confirm that I tried the fix suggested earlier in the thread, and the black screen/loss of wallpaper settings has since recurred again. Hoping it gets fixed.

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mr_raider » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:36 am

I seem to have the same issue. The resolution seems to be to drop to a command line, stop mdm service, then restart it.

Fortunately, Cinnamon 18 was just a trial install for me. My main production OS is KDe 17.3 which is still installed beside.

eatenimpinia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eatenimpinia » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:42 pm

Looks like I'm in the same boat. I had Secure Boot on when I installed Mint 18 (just like I did with 17.x). I've disabled it now just in case that was the cause.
Distro: (back to) Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic x86_64 (64 bit), Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mr_raider » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:25 am

Tried the fix with resetting permissions. Problem recurs. Black screen at login, loose my desktop background.

KDE version can't come fast enough.

rlindau
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rlindau » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:20 pm

I'll have to look for the other thread(s) mentioned above on this problem, but I suffer it too (both upgrade and new installs, on some but not all computers). The most recent instance was on my home desktop, which had been running fine on LM 17.3 but displayed black screen after login once in did the LM upgrade (not new install) to LM18.

Searching around the web, I finally hit on adding the following parameters to the "Linux .... no splash" line of the grub2 entry for LM18: Append "nvidia.modeset=0 grub_gfxmode=1680x1050x24" to the entry. (I'm running an Nvidia graphics card, and the gfxmode entry is the normal characteristics for my monitor...). Neither parameter worked alone; I needed to add both.

Once I did so, the black screen problem went away.

I don't know why this should be necessary - I presume I just masked and not solved the underlying problem.

pacija
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 18 - 64bit - Cinnamon - Black Screen on login

Post by pacija » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:23 am

I use Linux MInt 18 x64 on ThinkPad T440 which comes with Intel HD Graphics 4400.

I also suffer from this or similar bug - every third or so logging into cinnamon session gives me black screen with cursor. Sometimes if I wait long enough I get message about cinnamon crash and whether I want to restart it in fallback mode. But usually I just get the freeze where I can't move mouse cursor, or drop into console with Ctrl+Alt+F1. At the time of the freeze I can ping the box which would imply that basic functions such as networking work.

So, while this is apparently solved for some people with NVIDIA graphics cards, it certainly isn't solved for me.

I have installed ssh server on affected box so next time it freezes i'll try to ssh into it and see if there is anything in logs.

In the meantime if someone has any advice I'd be very grateful to hear it.

Regards,

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint 18 - 64bit - Cinnamon - Black Screen on login

Post by mr_raider » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:43 pm

pacija wrote:I use Linux MInt 18 x64 on ThinkPad T440 which comes with Intel HD Graphics 4400.

I also suffer from this or similar bug - every third or so logging into cinnamon session gives me black screen with cursor. Sometimes if I wait long enough I get message about cinnamon crash and whether I want to restart it in fallback mode. But usually I just get the freeze where I can't move mouse cursor, or drop into console with Ctrl+Alt+F1. At the time of the freeze I can ping the box which would imply that basic functions such as networking work.

So, while this is apparently solved for some people with NVIDIA graphics cards, it certainly isn't solved for me.

I have installed ssh server on affected box so next time it freezes i'll try to ssh into it and see if there is anything in logs.

In the meantime if someone has any advice I'd be very grateful to hear it.

Regards,
Interesting. I have an Intel GPU also.

pacija
Level 1
Level 1

For me still [UNSOLVED] Mint 18 - 64bit - Cinnamon - Black Screen on login

Post by pacija » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:17 am

Since last crash and consequent wallpaper reset, which was week ago, I didn't get to set custom wallpaper - I left it at default. Strangely enough, I haven't experienced crashes and wallpaper resets. This could be unrelated as I have installed all the recommended updates released in the meantime, and perhaps some of them fixed the issue.

Anyway, I'm setting custom wallpaper now and see if crashes and wallpaper resets reappear. I'll report back.

kf6eml
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kf6eml » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:41 am

Searching around the web, I finally hit on adding the following parameters to the "Linux .... no splash" line of the grub2 entry for LM18: Append "nvidia.modeset=0 grub_gfxmode=1680x1050x24" to the entry. (I'm running an Nvidia graphics card, and the gfxmode entry is the normal characteristics for my monitor...). Neither parameter worked alone; I needed to add both.
This seems to have worked for me as well (with my own monitor settings, of course.)

I had the same problem: Black screen with only a mouse cursor, and the hard drive being constantly accessed. I didn't look in any depth to see what it was actually doing.

Mint 18, cinnamon 3.0.7, kernel 4.4.0-21-generic, intel corp mobile 4 series chipset IGC

pacija
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pacija » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:36 am

As soon as I set my custom wallpaper, the next reboot resulted in black screen after login.

Ping from another box to affected one worked, and I got ssh prompt me for password, but it just hanged there after password input. Closing the lid suspended the box, while opening the lid resulted in resume to screen with just default wallpaper and no login screen as it should, after which I was able to ssh into the affected box and restart mdm. This gave me login prompt which logged me into environment with wallpaper reverted to default.

I also noticed increased disk and fan activity during the freeze.

I see there's an old bug report adressing this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1409419

However, it is in 'new' status for almost two years, and it is not assigned to anyone. The importance is 'undecided'.

I see people have this issue on 17.1 and 17.3. Strangely enough, I was running 17.1, 17.2 and 17.3 without any problems, but I have problem on same hardware with clean install of 18.0.

I'm glad people with nvidia cards have solution to this, but what would be the equivalent for people with intel cards?

chuinker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chuinker » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:32 am

I too had the recurring black screen issue on a fresh install of LM18.

One of my two monitors would work if I booted into recovery mode, but no combination of modesets would work, nor would any version of the nvidia or nouveau driver.

Finally, I just switched to an older kernel, and that worked.

Go figure.

chuinker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chuinker » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:42 pm

Additional information.

I rebooted my machine, and was able to confirm that it would work fine under kernel 4.4.0-21, but not 4.4.0-31 or 4.4.0-36.

Then I saw that Software Updater was proposing to INSTALL 4.4.0-36. This got me curious how an uninstalled kernel could be in my grub menu. Sure enough, only 4.4.0-21 was installed. Allowing software updater to install 4.4.0-36 fixed everything: I no longer have to specifically select a kernel.

I have no answer as to how those kernels ended up in my grub menu without being installed...this problem arose after a fresh install of 18.

hguo83
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hguo83 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:59 am

i too had the same problem after upgrading from 17.3 to 18.2, all i see is a black login screen after booting up instead of my custom wallpaper but i can still login to Cinnamon with no problems.

i am running Linux Mint in a laptop with Intel Celeron N2840 and iGPU onboard and my kernel version is 4.4.0-87.

What can i do to solve this black login screen issue ??

Return to “Cinnamon”