key bindings interfere with keys in VirtualBox Guest. SOLVED

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

key bindings interfere with keys in VirtualBox Guest. SOLVED

Post by markfilipak »

Solution: I found it !!!

'System Settings' > 'Windows' > 'Behavior' > 'Special key to move and resize windows'

Set it to 'Disabled'.

----- ORIGINAL POSTING FOLLOWS -----

(I've now fully abandoned Win7 & Win10, and am running Mint18+Cinnamon full time with WinXP consigned to a non-network VirtualBox. I'm soo... happy.)

But I have a problem.

In my VirtualBox Guest's editor (TextPad), press-holding 'Alt+Shift' while mouse-down swiping a block of text is supposed to allow me to select it (much like selecting a square region within a picture when using a paint program). But the Mint key bindings are interfering -- a 'hand' cursor appears (which indicates Mint's window move function is being provoked -- the whole virtual machine drags -- superceding what TextPad would normally do within the VM).

What I've done already...

In 'System Settings' > 'Hardware' > 'Keyboard' > 'Shortcuts', I meticulously 'unassigned' every shortcut except speaker volume (up down) & screen brightness (up down).

Notably, I have set 'Windows' > 'Positioning' > 'Resize window' ...to... 'Move window to left edge' so that all the bindings are 'unassigned'.

I have rebooted Mint.

Dispite this, 'Alt+Shift' is still interfering with my VirtualBox Guest (WinXP).

Is there some other place in Mint where key bindings are set? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!
Mark.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: key bindings interfere with keys in VirtualBox Guest. SOLVED

Post by Cosmo. »

Fine that you fou nd a solution.

Note, that the function for the special key to move windows is in some cases a very valuable one. So I suggest to set it to the super key. This is not expected to interfere with other programs and functions and in many years I have set this it did never show any problem here.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

Cosmo. wrote:Fine that you fou nd a solution.

Note, that the function for the special key to move windows is in some cases a very valuable one. So I suggest to set it to the super key. This is not expected to interfere with other programs and functions and in many years I have set this it did never show any problem here.
Thank you, Cosmo,

Yeah, all is not joy. Now I can't use 'Alt+Tab' to switch between windows. I will look up what the so-called "super key" is. I don't know what it is and I've never heard of it before. If I can't find what it is, I'll be back, so don't bother to tell me.

Thanks again.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Probably you know it with the name Windows-key? It is the same, only the name is changed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

markfilipak wrote:Now I can't use 'Alt+Tab' to switch between windows.
This has nothing to do with the change that you described.

What happens, if you press alt-tab? What happens, if you press and hold the alt key and then press the tab key shortly?
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

Cosmo. wrote:What happens, if you press alt-tab? What happens, if you press and hold the alt key and then press the tab key shortly?
Nothing happens. Before I made the changes to the keyboard shortcuts, 'Alt+Tab' functioned normally. Now, nothing.

Fixed it !!!

'System Settings' > 'Hardware' > 'Keyboard' > 'Shortcuts' > 'General' > 'Cycle through open windows'

Now set to 'Super+Tab'.

JOY JOY JOY,

Thanks Cosmo!
Last edited by markfilipak on Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Create a fresh new user account and check the behavior there. No changes in the settings there, just open 2 programs to test alt-tab.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

Cosmo. wrote:Create a fresh new user account and check the behavior there. No changes in the settings there, just open 2 programs to test alt-tab.
...Not needed. You beat me by one minute -- see 'Fixed it !!!' PS in my previous message.

Return to “Cinnamon”