[SOLVED] "A Problem Has Been Detected With Your Thumbnail Cache"

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
goog64

Re: [SOLVED] "A Problem Has Been Detected With Your Thumbnail Cache"

Post by goog64 »

Thanks for the lesson Flemur. Very interesting.
goog64

Re: "A Problem Has Been Detected With Your Thumbnail Cache"

Post by goog64 »

UncleSpellbinder wrote:Created a .thumbnails folder, deleted everything in .cache and rebooted. Everything seems good so far. Opened some image folders, my wallpaper folder and such, new thumbnails were generated. No warning. Everything seems good so far.

Thanks trytip!
Did you create your .thumbnails folder in .cache or in home?
My .thumbnails folder is in .cache, so I'd like to know whether or not that's where I'm supposed to create the replacement .thumbnails folder please.
Polymorph
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Polymorph »

One solution is to switch off Thumbnails preview.

First delete any sub-directories under ~/.cache/thumbnails

Then - Nemo > Edit > Preferences > Preview tab - then, in Previewable Files box, set Show thumbnails to "never".

This stops thumbnails from formed and being saved to sub-directories under ~/.cache/thumbnails and therefore stops the problem

HTH

Alan
EmeryGrantier
Level 1
Level 1

Post by EmeryGrantier »

I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1 on a new HD on 3/27/17 and got my first "Fix" button on 3/30. I haven't looked at very many pictures yet. I have had to "Fix" it several times since, sometimes after moving only one picture!

I looked at .cache/thumbnails (9,400 items, totalling 56.7 MB) for ownership issues (like root), and there were none. I also looked at .thumbnails (2 items, totalling 12.9 kB) for the same problem, none.

I was having this same problem on the old HD and LMC 17.3. I don't think this is a hardware issue. It looks like a Linux Mint Cinnamon and/or Nemo bug.

I have seen "fixes" in several forums that talk about clearing or fixing the cache. The problem is that these are only good for a few minutes, and the problem comes right back!

[NOT SOLVED] I think we need a patch...
hangarter

Post by hangarter »

Hi

switching off the Thubmnail preview is not a soution !
This function is usefull and needed, especially for managing photos / pictures. It is a basical function that any Desktop should provide without bugs.

Due to this bug, working with Cinnamon / Nemo became very painful !
Polymorph
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Polymorph »

You are correct - my "solution" does NOT solve the problem but the number of thumbnails is reduced. I do not know why.

I look forward to someone else's solution

Alan
alexdd

Post by alexdd »

This problem is still occuring. Fresh install of Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1 32 bit, all packages up to date.

CALL TO ACTION: Can everybody go over to https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1592293 and log in and click on "This bug affects .. people. Does this bug affect you?" This is what we as a community can do to show the developers that we care about this issue a lot.

I don't want to complain because everybody on Linux Mint is working for free. But I would like to see developers fixing things like this before dealing with fancy new features. This is *really* annoying. I can not suggest Linux Mint to colleagues, I can not switch my work environment to Linux Mint if things like this keep happening.
daviddez
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daviddez »

NOT SOLVED!

Agree with alexdd! Am also very annoyed and it effects credibility of LinuxMint, although unlike alexdd I would still recommend it. May this be our biggest problem!!

As alexdd wrote - I add it to ensure it is the most recent comment in this thread and thus ensure it is noted:

CALL TO ACTION: Can everybody go over to https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1592293 and log in and click on "This bug affects .. people. Does this bug affect you?" This is what we as a community can do to show the developers that we care about this issue a lot.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I occasionally saw the thumbnail cache warning, and I also object to the cache growing to enormous size, so I created a script which runs every time I log in.
The script only contains one operative line: rm /home/USERNAME/.cache/thumbnails/normal/*

Exact script contents:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
# save this file in the $HOME/.config/autostart folder as clean.sh
# make this file executable with "chmod a+x $HOME/.config/autostart/clean.sh"

rm /home/dan/.cache/thumbnails/normal/*
Since creating that script, I have never seen the thumbnail warning. :)
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
goog64

Post by goog64 »

Excellent Austin.Texas! Can't wait to try it, thank you.
daviddez
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daviddez »

Thanks Dan (you left your username in the script)!

Have installed it and will give a try!
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

I forgot the second part of the tweak:
In order to run the clean.sh file, I had to add a .desktop file in $HOME/.config/autostart
The .desktop file is named cleanthumbnails.desktop

Contents of the cleanthumbnails.desktop file:

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=/home/dan/.config/autostart/clean.sh
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
NoDisplay=false
Hidden=false
Name[en_US]=cleanthumbnails
Comment[en_US]=delete thumbnail cache
X-GNOME-Autostart-Delay=0
After creating the .desktop file, you have to make it executable. (Don't forget to change the user name in the text.)
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
alexdd

Post by alexdd »

Removing the thumbnail cache periodically with a script is a workaround, not a fix. I actually want all my thumbnails to be cached and saved for next time because that will make browsing files faster.
I just sent a pm to the originator of this thread, asking if he really considers his issue solved, and possibly removing the [solved] in the title of the thread. In the end he opened this thread, so he decides, but in my opinion it is not solved.

Please continue to comment on https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1592293 so that this issue gets the attention it needs.
daviddez
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daviddez »

Sorry austin.texas but I gave your solution a fair shot - almost three weeks - but the problem still occurs. It does seem to happen less frequently after a login, but once it reappears it is as before. For many of us a re-login is not a solution as we prefer to leave our systems up 24/7 and onlly login when we must - such as after a power failure or a new release! This is one of the benefits of Linux, not needing to reboot frequently. Thanks anyway!

Keep up the good fight, alexdd!

BESTEST
David
gmorehouse

Post by gmorehouse »

A fix for this was committed about a month ago. Hopefully this will stop happening soon; whenever a new version of nemo drops, try clearing the cache as mentioned in this thread and hopefully it will not happen again.

https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/commi ... 2d3c74e76a
goog64

Post by goog64 »

gmorehouse wrote:A fix for this was committed about a month ago. Hopefully this will stop happening soon; whenever a new version of nemo drops, try clearing the cache as mentioned in this thread and hopefully it will not happen again.

https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/commi ... 2d3c74e76a
Good news, but what does "whenever a new version of nemo drops" mean please?
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Keep an eye out for it in the updates offered in Update Manager :wink: I too hope it gets fixed for Nemo soon, been having the same issue with some directories e.g. /Downloads (but not on the NTFS DATA partition, as far as I'm aware).
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
paulwlin

Re: [PENDING UPDATE] "A Problem Has Been Detected With Your Thumbnail Cache"

Post by paulwlin »

Quite often, Linux Mint seems to delay in rolling out urgent patches in its repositories.

Kindly make the latest version of NEMO available for download the soonest possible.

This Fixed Thumbnail Cache had long been dragged for years. Thanks a lot
user815

Post by user815 »

UncleSpellbinder wrote:Linux Mint 18.

This happens 6 to 10 times daily. Ideas???

A Problem Has Been Detected With Your Thumbnail Cache

Link to image since the default acceptable image size of 320x240 is FAR too small: http://oi64.tinypic.com/2dhsbxx.jpg
I had this this issue until recently. Issue seems to be fixed on May 2017. https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/commi ... 2d3c74e76a. But the problem is the that update to Nemo is marked as third level update in Update Manager.(I am using LMDE 2). I applied that update. After that I did not face that thumbnail cache issue again.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

some applications use
[1] $HOME/.thumbnails
.......... while most will use
[2] .cache/thumbnails/

if you don't have the [1] create it, make new folder in home named .thumbnails
THEN delete the [2] .cache/thumbnails/
last logOFF/IN or better reboot