No Thumbnails for Videos in Nemo

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mozart9200

No Thumbnails for Videos in Nemo

Post by mozart9200 »

As the title says, I have no thumbnails for videos of any kind, be it an mp4, avi, wma...

I already spoke with some people on IRC and it seems a very rare bug/issue.

I run Cinnamon on Mint 18 Sarah.

Keep in mind that i already checked the "preview" setting the thumbnail for all files below 8gb.

I also noticed the same issue while trying a Mint 18 KDE with an usb key live.

Could you help me finding a solution?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mozart9200

Re: No Thumbnails for Videos in Nemo

Post by mozart9200 »

Tried deleting the ./thumbnails and chache/thumbnails folders. Did not work. Any ideas?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If you look at text files you will notice, that you also do not get thumbnails for text files. I have been told by a developer, that this caused by the version 3.14 of GTK, which is used in LM 18. Nothing, what can be done about it. I don't know, if the same cause does apply here also. (It appears, as if some developers - I mean those for that library - understand for the expression "new" something like "new: no missing".) I like my "old" Mint 17.3 with more and better features, than Mint 18 has added.
mozart9200

[Solved] No Thumbnails for Videos in Nemo

Post by mozart9200 »

I see, thank you.

I don't see the reason for removing that feature but.. hey, lots of desktop enviroments out there so..

Thanks anyway!
Odyseus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Odyseus »

Hello, g@ys.

I'm using Mint 18 Cinnamon and I do see thumbnails for all videos.

@Cosmo: Mint 18 Cinnamon comes with Gtk 3.18 and Mint 17.3 comes with Gtk 3.10. That's one of the main reasons I switched to Mint 18. Since Firefox switched from Gtk2 to Gtk3, its interface was very buggy with the Gtk3 version 3.10 (at least for me).
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

after deleting .thumbnails did you also create it?

not sure why you wouldn't but do you have ffmpegthumbnailer and ffmpegthumbs installed
Last edited by trytip on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Odyseus wrote:@Cosmo: Mint 18 Cinnamon comes with Gtk 3.18 and Mint 17.3 comes with Gtk 3.10.
I referred to an answer which JosephMcc gave here.
mozart9200

Post by mozart9200 »

trytip wrote:after deleting .thumbnails did you also create it?

not sure why you wouldn't but do you have ffmpegthumbnailer and ffmpegthumbs installed
Yeas I already tried installing those. Did not work :(
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

do you have totem installed
Odyseus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Odyseus »

Hello, g@ys.

This is indeed a very strange bug. Here I am, with a feature that I don't want/need working perfectly. And people that do wants/needs it, with the feature not working. I don't even have installed the packages ffmpegthumbnailer nor ffmpegthumbs. Not even totem.

@mozart9200: Did you uninstalled some software that came by default on Mint 18? Do you have the codecs installed? Did you checked the permissions of the ./thumbnails and/or .cache/thumbnails.

@Cosmo: I merely stated that Mint 18 Cinnamon comes with Gtk 3.18, not with Gtk 3.14.
Cosmo wrote:I have been told by a developer, that this caused by the version 3.14 of GTK, which is used in LM 18.
mozart9200

Post by mozart9200 »

I tried installing totem (I didn't have it) and nothing changed.
Odyseus wrote:Hello, g@ys.

@mozart9200: Did you uninstalled some software that came by default on Mint 18? Do you have the codecs installed? Did you checked the permissions of the ./thumbnails and/or .cache/thumbnails.

Cosmo wrote:I have been told by a developer, that this caused by the version 3.14 of GTK, which is used in LM 18.

I have uninstalled flash because of security. Also I checked the permissions, I have full access.
Odyseus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Odyseus »

mozart9200 wrote:I have uninstalled flash because of security. Also I checked the permissions, I have full access.
I also uninstalled flash when I installed Mint 18 for the first time. As flash is part of a meta package, it will also try to uninstall the packages mint-meta-codecs and mint-meta-codecs-core. And those packages contain all kind of codecs not just for media files.

You may have some missing codecs. I just tried in a live session of Mint 18 Cinnamon without the codecs installed. Thumbnails for video files weren't working. I installed the codecs from the Welcome Screen and the thumbnails for videos started working immediately.

Another thing that I observed was that it only showed me the thumbnails of files owned by my user. If the file was owned by root, it wouldn't show a thumbnail.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Removed meta packages are not the explanation, they contain no binaries. If no other packages get listed as to be removed as consequence, they will stay in the system.
mozart9200

Post by mozart9200 »

Is there a way to debug this?
Odyseus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Odyseus »

Hello, g@ys.

@mozart9200: Do you have your videos stored in an NTFS file system by any chance? This is just a shot in the dark. I don't know if this would affect thumbnails on Nemo. I mention this because I recently had some problems with all my NTFS drives (I couldn't move files to trash) and I fixed it by changing some mount options.

@Cosmo: Sorry for the confusion. I sometimes forget that apt-get isn't pacman (Arch Linux).
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

No problem, mate.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Some information.

Running Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64 bit on 2 computers. Neither ffmpegthumbnailer nor ffmpegthumbs are installed.

Thumbnails are visible for the following formats: mp4, wmv, m4v, flv and mkv.
No thumbnail for swf.

Flash is installed.

Nemo preferences set to Show thumbnails = Local Files Only
Only for files smaller than = 4 GB

Using a live session, videos cannot be played because of the missing codecs and support files (47.6 MB) as already stated by Odyseus. Possibly one of these is needed to display thumbnails of videos in Nemo.

The current media player is "Xplayer" called "Videos" in the main menu. There is no connection between the media player and the display of thumbnails in Nemo.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
mozart9200

Post by mozart9200 »

Odyseus wrote:Hello, g@ys.

@mozart9200: Do you have your videos stored in an NTFS file system by any chance? This is just a shot in the dark. I don't know if this would affect thumbnails on Nemo. I mention this because I recently had some problems with all my NTFS drives (I couldn't move files to trash) and I fixed it by changing some mount options.

It's not related to the file system. The issue appears both on my nfts external drive and my filesystem (which is ext4 or something like that... the default one)
mozart9200

Post by mozart9200 »

Well looks like I'll have to wait for my next installation. I'll let you know when I'll format my pc if the thumbnails work or if the problem persists.
dwreck621

Post by dwreck621 »

came here just to say i notices i STOPPED generating NEW file previews. so old files show thumbs, new ones do not. how odd..

Return to “Cinnamon”