[SOLVED] Keyboard: US international with dead keys issue

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

[SOLVED] Keyboard: US international with dead keys issue

Post by markfilipak »

SOLUTION:
Ah, I found it!

"international AltGr dead keys" is NOT with the rest of the "English (US ...)" key bindings. It's further up in the list:

English (India, with rupee sign)
English (international AltGr dead keys) <-- This is the one I (or you) want!
English (left handed Dvorak)

and, dispite the name, it DOES NOT have dead keys -- (and I'm not sure what "AltGr" means). At least for Spanish, this key binding works just like Windows' "Spanish (International Sort)" key bindings.

===== begin original post =====
I'm looking for a fix for the English (US, international with dead keys) keyboard driver. It doesn't quite work as I expected.

For all Spanish keys, it works wonderfully, to wit:
R-Alt+N --> ñ
R-Alt+Shift+A --> Á
R-Alt+/ --> ¿
R-Alt+1 --> ¡

Now, the normal keys that no longer work right:

Shift+~ has to be pressed twice. // Without R-Alt, Shift+~ should operate normally, but it doesn't.

' (single-quote) has to be pressed twice and produces ´ (acute accent). // Without R-Alt, ' should operate normally, but it doesn't.
// To get the normal ', I have to press R-Alt+'. That operation (with R-Alt -v- without R-Alt) is backward.

Shift+' should produce " (double-quote), but Shift+' has to be pressed twice and produces ¨ (umlaut) // Without R-Alt, Shift+' should operate normally, but it doesn't.
// To get the normal ", I have to press R-Alt+Shift+'. That operation (with R-Alt -v- without R-Alt) is backward.

Here is what the key mappings should be:
` --> `
R-Alt+` --> (nothing)
Shift+` --> ~
R-Alt+Shift+` --> (nothing)
' --> '
R-Alt+' --> (nothing)
Shift+' --> "
R-Alt+Shift+' --> (nothing)
The rest of the key R-Alt+ and R-Alt+Shift+ mappings are okay.

Does anyone know of a way to fix the key mappings? Thankfully, the keys can be identically mapped in both English (US) and English (US,international with dead keys) keyboard settings.

I can live with killing R-Alt+` and R-Alt+Shift+` and R-Alt+' and R-Alt+Shift+' for all time, but I can't live with English (US,international with dead keys) the way it is now.

Thanks All!

PS: I tried to find my own solution by searching the net and trying various things, but no Joy.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grizzler

Re: Keyboard: US international with dead keys issue

Post by grizzler »

Which setting are you actually referring to? There's "international with dead keys" and "international with dead keys via AltGr" (not sure about the exact phrase as I'm using a localized system). The behaviour you describe w.r.t. the dead keys is the one linked to the former (i.e. ~ ^ ` ' " always need another character or a space to show up). What you want is the latter, using AltGr (right alt).
magnus7
Level 4
Level 4

Post by magnus7 »

Your keyboard layout works correctly. What you describe are "dead keys". These are keys with accents which you can add to some letters.
Shift + ~ + u --> ũ
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

grizzler wrote:..."international with dead keys via AltGr" (not sure about the exact phrase as I'm using a localized system)...
Thank you, grizz. I thought it had been removed from the choices because I couldn't find it. The name is "English (international AltGr dead keys)" and, because the list is sorted alphabetically, it's not with the rest of the "English (US ...)" keyboard key bindings. Thanks for your help!
grizzler

Re: SOLVED Keyboard: US international with dead keys issue

Post by grizzler »

markfilipak wrote:(and I'm not sure what "AltGr" means)
Alt Graph / Graphics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key

Good to see you've got things sorted. :)

Return to “Cinnamon”